none
How to prevent "Favorites IFilter" from being automatically restored?

Question

• Recently I found a major problem with indexing .URL files (WDS 4.0 fails to index "Internet Shortcut" files after IE8 is installed), but fortunately found a solution (changing .URL file to File Properties Filter, from Favorites IFilter):
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/thread/c54a41bb-6786-4a0a-bdb1-84219b8ad9cb

There is one little problem with this solution - the settings for .URL file revert back Favorites IFilter automatically, just by continous usage of my PC. I found that this restoration happens whenever IE8 is opened or closed and I want to find a way to stop this!.

How could I fix that and make File Properties Filter setting persistent?

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:07 PM

All replies

• is this running final version of IE8 or pre-release version?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Yes, I got final IE8 just a week ago. I did some registry hacking and here are a few findings:

1) Searched registry for "Favorites IFilter", found at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7EE0A24E-A8C6-46ae-A875-8E7C3D18AEAF}, apparently the CLSID for the Favorites IFilter

2) Searched for {7EE0A24E-A8C6-46ae-A875-8E7C3D18AEAF} and found the CLSID for .URL "PersistentHandler": [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8CD34779-9F10-4f9b-ADFB-B3FAEABDAB5A}]

3) If these entries are deleted, the "Type" tab instead of showing "Favorites IFilter" now shows "Registered IFilter not found". This is not the worst scenario under which .URL files get indexed the same way "File Properties Filter" would handle them. This also does not get reset by IE8 restart.

4) If I search for ".URL", I will find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.url\PersistentHandler key that points to the above PersistentHandler CLSID. If I delete this one, the filter changes to "Plain Text Filter" and the entire contents of .URL file gets indexed (actual URL inside too, not just file properties). However IE8 start / closing restores the registry key and reverts filter to "Registered IFilter not found"

5) Original (pre-IE8) behavior was actually "Plain Text Filter" which allowed the best search and preview of Internet Shortcut contents. This SHOULD BE the correct behavior.

Hope this helps. Really either "Favorites IFilter" should add the functionality of "Plain Text Filter" or the restart of IE8 should not reset all these hacked settings. For now using this patched up solution, but I have to say having to watch for IE8 restart is no fun.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:13 AM
  • I have been looking for this solution for days.  Many thanks, HOWEVER, it is not really clear just exactly what I should do with the solutions.  I would think that #3 is the way to go, but want to be sure.  I am not sure how to "delete" the entry.  I know how to get there [have been there already], but am not sure what to do once there.  Just delete the "Favorites IFilter" on the end of that line=data??

Thanks.  Jim
    Friday, June 05, 2009 4:36 AM
  • UPDATE I just spent 3 hours on the phone with MS. First their IE group, then their XP group. Long story short = "they" had not heard of this yet, they agree something is wrong!, they helped me run the fixes in the Reg, specifically deleting both lines refered to above in item 2 and 3, they are forwarding this problem [conflict between IE8 and Search 4.0] up the ladder to their coders and expect it will be fixed in the future. The reason it took so long, even though I sent them a copy of this forum page, was due to the fact that they had not seen the problem before and wanted to make really really sure the reg changes were not going to muck up anything else, and I wanted to be hand held through the changes. Also, as I am dialup only, they could not use their "remote" function to run my cpu from there in India. It was not a problem dealing with them at all and I am now happy. In the meantime, it works great for me now, searches all the stuff in Favorites and does not reset when I reboot!! This is the FIRST time I have gotten good and useful info from MS.!! I would hope that this solution can be given more widespread distribution by someone who knows how to do so. Jim
    Friday, June 05, 2009 9:11 PM