none
Wuaueng.dll -- Help!

Question

• I have Windows XP and recently downloaded a bunch of updates from Microsoft (including SP2) and upgraded to IE7.  Now, several strange things are happening.

First, whenever I try to restart or shut down, the computer refuses to do so and instead tells me that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.  When I click for more details, the ModName at issue is wuaueng.dll.

Second, if I try to go to "properties" after right-clicking on My Computer, the same kind of window pops up, except this time it says "Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem . . . ."  Again, in details, the ModName is wuaueng.dll.

Third, I cannot access the Windows Update webpages.

Fourth, IE no longer connects to the Internet.

Fifth, when I am able to shut down (only way is by pushing the power button or by pulling down the drop-down menu on the Task Manager), the computer doesn't shut down but instead restarts.  When I hit F8 and turn off automatic restart, a get an error message on a blue screen that says c000021a fatal system error 0xc0000005.

Sixth, when I tried to re-register wuaueng.dll by typing "regsvr32 wuaueng.dll" after Start: Run, I get an error message that says "DllRegisterServer in wuaueng.dll failed.  Return code was 0xc0000005."

I assume these are all related.  Everything else in Windows seems to work fine.  Please help!  Please be aware that I am not computer literate and have been able to try the steps above only by following threads that others have suggested.  Many thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:54 AM

All replies

• This is a shot in the dark. I have Vista Home Premium.....After a hard Drive replacement and reinstall of OS and all updates from windows and the manufacturer on start up from a shutdown I received Windows Aero is being set to Basic followed shortly thereafter with a blue screen with a stop error c000021a. I post a reply on your entry because there is no other info. I feel that MSFT should be sued class action over Vista. What I feel is a system that is totally a Beta being offered as the final product. My laptop has 1GB of Ram. On the makers websites this model series is now only offered with 2GB of RAM. Will that number go up? As I said I got nothing on your problem but just needed to vent.Hope you get a solution. Evidently c000021a is a error code that MSFT uses when it doesn't know what the real problem is. PS. My old PC has W2K Pro. And it is 8 yrs old and so far no problems. Is change better? Later.

Friday, July 27, 2007 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry that you are having these issues. However, these posts are off topic and have nothing to do with Visual Studio Debugger. Please call Product Support for your issues.

Azeem Khan

Visual Studio Debugger.

Friday, August 10, 2007 11:17 PM