none
What should I do to use image files except for DDS on Direct3D 11? (Windows 8 SDK)

Question

• Hello,

I am revising my projects that I used Direct3D 9 to support 11. I used "D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemoryEx" and "D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx" for loading like PNG and BMP.

For the game, I can convert to DDS beforehand them but I'm also making the modeling software. It is convenient to be able to treat those images in it directly.

But Direct3D 11 does not seem to support it directly. I think they need to be converted to DirectX 3D textures by some pixel-level codes.
    Is this correct or is there simpler way? ( I feel troublesome to write codes for some formats. )

Monday, March 04, 2013 6:23 AM

Answers

• The DirectXTK library provides a light-weight runtime solution for loading DDS files without any legacy conversion, as well as a module for doing a 'quick & dirty' load of a texture from any WIC-supported bitmap format such as PNG & BMP.

The DirectXTex library provides a more complete implementation of the texture processing functionality from D3DX, but is mostly intended for use in tools and content pipelines.

Try DirectXTK's WICTextureLoader and DDSTextureLoader first. If they aren't sufficient for your app, check out DirectXTex.

Monday, March 04, 2013 8:10 PM

All replies

• The DirectXTK library provides a light-weight runtime solution for loading DDS files without any legacy conversion, as well as a module for doing a 'quick & dirty' load of a texture from any WIC-supported bitmap format such as PNG & BMP.

The DirectXTex library provides a more complete implementation of the texture processing functionality from D3DX, but is mostly intended for use in tools and content pipelines.

Try DirectXTK's WICTextureLoader and DDSTextureLoader first. If they aren't sufficient for your app, check out DirectXTex.

Monday, March 04, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Thank you for your great answer.
    I've been looking forward to meeting you. I've been using DirectXTK since a week ago.

> any WIC-supported bitmap format such as PNG & BMP.
    >Try DirectXTK's WICTextureLoader and DDSTextureLoader first.

Oh, I have not understood about DirectXTK well.
    I just got it! I could check the operation.

Because I want to shift the many functions quickly, I leave well enough alone at this time.
    Then I will try to use DirectXTex.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:02 AM