none
Why App Verifier can not create log file?

Question

• Hi,

I am developping on Windows 8.  I want to track my app with App Verifier, but it does not provide any logs.  This is the message i have:

AVRF: failed to create verifier log file\??\C:\Users\SDurand\AppVerifierLogs\AnonymGameName.exe.0.dat (status C0000022)

This status should be about a STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED..

Can anybody help me get my logs?  Is it related to the "\??\"

Thanks

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:56 PM

All replies

• Is this the "app verifier" you are referring to?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms220948(v=VS.90).aspx

If not, which application verifier are you using?

Also, this issue appears to be unrelated to .NET Framework setup (this forum's topic). Perhaps the Visual studio General forum?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualstudiogeneral/threads

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Hi pvdg42,

VS General supports the following:

WPF & SL designer:

Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit

Developer Documentation and Help System

Visual Studio Editor

So I'm also not sure where can it belongs to.

Hi SimonDu,

I moved your case here for some suggestions.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:05 AM
  • No... \??\ is just a native path prefix.

Run process monitor with a path filter to the log directory. What is the user name used to write log? What is the integrity level of the logging process? What is the user's permission to the log directory?

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, February 08, 2013 6:58 PM
  • For my problematic project:

• Operation:  CreateFile
    • User: POSTE-0442/SDurand
    • Integrity Level: low
    • User Permission: read-only::only applies to files in folder (I set it to full access but it seems to stay like that)
    • Detail: Desired Access: Append Data/Add Subdirectory/Create Pipe Instance, Dis, Options: , Attributes: N, ShareMode: None, AllocationSize: 0

I also did an "Hello-World" project so I could check if the ApplicationVerifier crash for everything.  Everything worked fine!  Those are the results (I still need to find out what to do to track my main application)

• Operation:  CreateFile
    • User: POSTE-0442/SDurand
    • Integrity Level: medium
    • User Permission: read-only::only applies to files in folder
    • Detail: Desired Access: Append Data/Add Subdirectory/Create Pipe Instance, Dis, Options: , Attributes: N, ShareMode: None, AllocationSize: 0, OpenResult: Created
    • Edited by SimonDu Monday, February 11, 2013 2:45 PM Better Display
    Monday, February 11, 2013 2:26 PM
  • You can either specify a writeable locations at low integrity as the log path or lower the integrity level of the log folder. 

See Designing Applications to Run at a Low Integrity Level for details.

Visual C++ MVP

Monday, February 11, 2013 2:33 PM
  • I have set a lower folder integrity level but it did not change any of the previous Process Monitor display results.

I have also set an higher integrity level for the application itself, but again, it did not change any of the previous Process Monitor results.

I did not find out how to change the log path location so I could set a new one with lower integrity level(is it even possible?  I do not mind changing it in the AppVerif.exe assembly if you hint me a little bit).

Thank you for your time, I really feel that we will succeed.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:57 PM