none
DVD showing "Temporary Burn Folder" in place of a real folder in Windows 7

Question

• I've burnt a DVD using CDBurnerXP, which contains four folders within the root (and another sub-folder within one of them). The disk mostly contains JPGs. Disk size approx 2.8GB. The DVD verified correctly.

The last folder within the root was called "Tim" but shows up a within explorer as "Temporary Burn Folder".

I have opened the disk using IsoBuster and can see the ISO, Joliet & UDF file systems all with the correct name. This can also be verified with a disk editor.

Opening the disk within Windows XP SP3 also reads the correct name. So why is Windows 7 Explorer renaming my folder?!!!

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 11:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Xironman,

We've checked the iso, and it appears that there is additional desktop.ini file in the image. Explorer reads that file and finds that this particular folder has localized name with a resource id. This resource id is defined for Windows 7, but not for Windows XP, thus on Windows 7 it shows resolved localized name, which is "Temporary Burn Folder".

Basically this is a bug in the content that contains improper desktop.ini in it. The reason cold be either manually added file, or third-party software which added desktop.ini.

Solution is to delete desktop.ini from the disk (note this file is hidden and you'll need to change default setting of the explorer to show hidden files)

With Regards,
    Mikhail

Friday, October 22, 2010 1:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Xironman,

Could you please take a snapshot of your media (ISO image) and send it to us for the investigation.

With Regards,
    Mikhail

Monday, October 11, 2010 5:00 PM
  • I've managed to reduce the image down to an ISO of about 19MB (18MB zipped). When this ISO image is burnt to a disk, it still exhibits the problem. I can also mount the ISO image using "ImDisk" and still see the problem. Where can I send the file? Thanks.
    Monday, October 11, 2010 9:41 PM
  • I've uploaded the image to:

[Rapidshare link deleted]

http://cid-91fcae611e5e33be.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Disc.zip

• Edited by Xironman Sunday, October 17, 2010 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Hi,

Can't access rapidshare, could you please send the image to optissue (at) microsoft (dot) com

Thanks,
    Mikhail

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Hello,

We are working on this issue and would update with our findings.

Thanks,
    Atishay

Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Hi Xironman,

We've checked the iso, and it appears that there is additional desktop.ini file in the image. Explorer reads that file and finds that this particular folder has localized name with a resource id. This resource id is defined for Windows 7, but not for Windows XP, thus on Windows 7 it shows resolved localized name, which is "Temporary Burn Folder".

Basically this is a bug in the content that contains improper desktop.ini in it. The reason cold be either manually added file, or third-party software which added desktop.ini.

Solution is to delete desktop.ini from the disk (note this file is hidden and you'll need to change default setting of the explorer to show hidden files)

With Regards,
    Mikhail

Friday, October 22, 2010 1:09 AM
  • Good catch! Thanks for your help, Mikhail.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:17 AM
  • I've also had this problem, it appears to be related to a IE toolbar installed by NCH Swift software. Uninstalling doesn't cure it, it's necessary to go through the registry and remove all reference to conduit.com
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:10 PM
  • We're in 2013 now and I still have this problem of a folder being renamed to "temporary burn folder" even though I deleted the desktop.ini file showing in the "Files to be burned to disk" list. I tried this several times on two different computers, one with Windows 7 home premium, the other with Windows 7 Professional. I was burning three directories each with a second subdirectory. The subdirectories are fine. So why would I have this problem in the first place?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:18 AM
  • I just ran into this same issue on a Windows 8.1 machine, and I think I've stumbled onto the cause.

The user I was helping was burning the contents of a folder on a network share directly to disc.  The folder contained two subfolders and about 15 files.  When he'd burn the CD it would "magically" create a "Temporary Burn Folder" on the CD and put one of the subfolders and its contents inside.

In the end, I used the native burn utility and switched from Joliet format to packet format and it burns just fine.  So whatever's causing this may be derailing the Joliet format somehow.

Monday, December 02, 2013 7:47 PM