none
"You may not have the appropriate persmissions to access the item"

Question

• I installed our applications as a user that is a domain admin and everything runs as expected on Vista.  With a new manifest file we are prompted for security when the user executes our applications that need to write to the registry and things like that.  But I just discovered a new issue today.  I logged in as a different user that is also a domain admin, the original user login that install the apps and this second user have identical rights and were set up at the same time.  But when I go to execute any of our applications I recieve:

"Windows cannont access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

As the second user I can modify the security rights for the executable file and add myself to the list and it will run fine.  This isn't something we can ask our customers to do on every machine for every user though.  I know one option is to modify our installer to assign Execute permissions on the files for the "Everyone" group, but is this the only way to get around this? 

I find it frustrating that even when running as an administrator on Vista, you're not actually running as an administrator.  I can deal with needing administrator rights to execute certain applications that could be dangerous to the system, but why would an administrator not be able to execute a file at all?

If anyone has any information on this kind of situation and what you did to get around it I'd really appreciate it.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:10 PM

All replies

• I'd check what group policies are in place on your domain. By default Windows will assign ownership of objects created by a Domain Admin to be Local Adminstrators group. There is a policy to instead assign ownership to the individual (to create a better audit trail) and that may be causing your issues.

Using Windows Installer to install software generally is the best way to avoid this policy setting causing issues..

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:33 AM
  • The issue with that solution is that it would work for our company network, but we develop software for other companies.  The current install process we have is what is known by customers and they expect our installations to continue to work as it has in the past regardless of if they are installing on XP, Vista, Longhorn, Unix, Solaris, VMS, Linux, etc. We currently use InstallShield for this product and InstallAnywhere for some others, probably going to switch to InstallAnywhere completely one day, but because of the number of OSes we support, a change over to a different installation software is not a simplistic task... especially when the list of changes needed for Vista and Longhorn are sucking up all our development time.  I could give access to the Everyone group for our files via the install, but I was hoping there was an easier way.  Something like "Allow access to this program from:   Only this user or Everyone?" type prompt.
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Can somebody tell me how to fix this error: Windows cannont access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item; It seems anytime I try to download a program to clean my registry, or anthing for that matter. I get this error. I run Windows XP, any help would be appreciated. My email is julian_420@juno.com

Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:17 AM