none
How to preview .dwg (AutoCAD file) in WDS preview pane

Question

• Hello, i have some little questions here. I have the newest WDS 4.0 installed on both laptop and desktop (Windows Xp MCE 2005 SP3 and Vista Ultimate Sp1)
    As we all know the WDS preview pane especially in Xp shows most image and document eg: MS Office, JPEG, MP3 Album Art etc. It's very useful feature.

Please correct me if i am wrong: WDS shows preview of Office files by using IE ActiveX control plug in for Office as well as for html and Adobe Reader (pdf), it also explains why the activex alert in WDS preview pane is similar with the IE one. The newer WDS (4.0) for Xp and Vista can also use vista only preview handler (Office 2007), in other side for Office 2003 WDS still use IE machine/browser help control by rendering it first in IE (Office ActiveX plug in). If i can open/display the files in IE, then usually i can be able to preview them in WDS too, am i right?

If I am right, then my question is: how to preview some files that not default shown in WDS preview pane (3.01 and 4.0) such dwg (AutoCAD) etc. Can we use IE dwg ActiveX plug in for IE as WDS previewer? How to configure it? I have dwg activex plug in that make IE have abilty to open and display dwg files (online and offline), can i use it? and the last, since i have read in some old web articles (i forget which/where), they told about how to apply IE preview handler in Vista by using already available IE activex plug in to preview some files that natively has no standard preview handler yet  (at that time) such Xps and Pdf as well as html. Because so far Autodesk doesnt release dwg preview handler yet even in AutoCAD 2008 nor 2009, can we use the same way to preview dwg files in both Vista (explorer and search) and Xp (WDS) too. Please help me...

Finally, please accept my apologize about my bad english, but i hope you know what i mean. Thank you so much for your help, i will appreciate it so much. regards

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:26 AM

Answers

• some hours ago I thought i found this: WDS 4.0 (Xp) saves previewer data in registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\

It contains some file extensions that not all but only already have default previewer on WDS such .JPEG, .doc, .xls, .bmp etc. when i was opening regedit,  i still didnt find my file extension (.dwg) there as it already registered but in Windows Explorer. So i added it as new key, but then i confused what the registry value for it. as i made an experiment, i also already make the value as same as htm, jpeg, has etc..etc. rebooted, n still not worked.

i also configured the IE activex plug in. IE can open and display dwg and other customized files as well, but not WDS yet.

So, how to set the value, or the most optimal way? pleeease help me. please sir/mom. thank u so much for your kindness and regards.

EDIT:  It's working now! the value of .dwg key is as same as with the one of .htm. The DWG Activex plug in that i use is Quickview plus DWG IE plug in. thank God.

it seems i must start new thread since now
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:27 PM
  • please see: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3524855&SiteID=1
    Regards
    Monday, June 23, 2008 7:52 PM

All replies

• some hours ago I thought i found this: WDS 4.0 (Xp) saves previewer data in registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\

It contains some file extensions that not all but only already have default previewer on WDS such .JPEG, .doc, .xls, .bmp etc. when i was opening regedit,  i still didnt find my file extension (.dwg) there as it already registered but in Windows Explorer. So i added it as new key, but then i confused what the registry value for it. as i made an experiment, i also already make the value as same as htm, jpeg, has etc..etc. rebooted, n still not worked.

i also configured the IE activex plug in. IE can open and display dwg and other customized files as well, but not WDS yet.

So, how to set the value, or the most optimal way? pleeease help me. please sir/mom. thank u so much for your kindness and regards.

EDIT:  It's working now! the value of .dwg key is as same as with the one of .htm. The DWG Activex plug in that i use is Quickview plus DWG IE plug in. thank God.

it seems i must start new thread since now
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:27 PM
  • please see: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3524855&SiteID=1
    Regards
    Monday, June 23, 2008 7:52 PM