none
Windows Search Protocol Host Has Stopped Working [vista]

Question

• Recently I have been getting the error message "Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host has stopped working" popping up every 10 seconds when Vista is building its search index. After indexing is complete, the messages disappear.

In the event viewer, the corresponding application errors show up:

Faulting application SearchProtocolHost.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b668, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bd80, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00045208, process id 0x16ec, application start time 0x01c7ce62a8eaadd8.

I have tried system restore, but none of my restore points worked, so it looks like I am going to have to try and track down the problem.

I have tried rebuilding the windows search index, and deleting/rebuilding the actual index file, but that didn't help.

I have done a lot of googling for an answer, and the only solutions I have found applied to people who has Outlook 2007 installed, which I do not.

Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:24 AM

All replies

• The exception code indicated that the program is access unallocated memory. Can you post the Windows Error Reporting "Bucket Number" for further investigating.

To get the crash bucket number:
    1. Use WDS to generate the crash. When you are prompted, click the button to send the data to Microsoft.
    2. Immediately after sending the data, go to "Control Panel" | "Administrative tools" | "Event viewer".
    3. In Event viewer, choose the "Application" node of the tree on the left.
    4. Sort the data by "Date", and scroll to the most recent entries.
    5. Look for entries where the "Type" is "error" and have red "X" icons. Double click on them to "open" them.
    6. One of the last (most recent) red entries should be for WDS and have a "bucket number" in the description field

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:21 AM
  • Hi Eric, here is the bucket # and other details from the Event Viewer:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          26/07/2007 1:46:14 PM
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Jonathan-PC
    Description:
    Fault bucket 472089209, type 1
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: None
    Cab Id: 360146000

Problem signature:
    P1: SearchProtocolHost.exe
    P2: 6.0.6000.16386
    P3: 4549b668
    P4: kernel32.dll
    P5: 6.0.6000.16386
    P6: 4549bd80
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 00045208
    P9:
    P10:

Thanks for looking at this for me!
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:49 AM
  • I am getting the same exact error and it's driving me crazy Smile  Hope to see an answer soon.

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:48 AM
  • Jnicol, it looks like there is an issue indexing the file below. Can you tell me the filter that is registered to the .plist that is found under the advance, File Types in the Indexing Options control panel?

c:\users\Jonathan\Desktop\flash_player_update4_flash9_win\Players\Debug\Flash Player.app\Contents\Info.plist

Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:55 AM
  • Hi Eric,

The filter description for the .plist filetpye is just 'File properties filter', and it is set to index properties only, rather than index properties and file contents.

So I don't think there is anything unusual in that setting?

To see if it would resolve the issue, I moved that file and it's folder to an external (non indexed) drive, and rebuilt the search index. Unfortunately searchprotocolhost.exe is still crashing every 10 seconds. So possibly it is not that particular file causing every crash, just the one that I gave you a bucket number for?

Sunday, July 29, 2007 7:22 AM
  • @Shaun Sullivan - if you are still reading this thread, have you had any luck resolving the issue at your end?
    Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:18 AM
  • I too am having the same problem so I have searched the web and have found several sites that recommend that resetting the index searcher : regedit - hkey local machine - hkey local machine software microsoft windows search -setupcompletedsuccessfully - here they say to right click and then edit the value from 1 to 0  in the edit dword window. Then restart.

Is this a safe way to resolve the problem? If you could advise that would be fantastic. Many thanks
    Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Jnicol; please report these errors back and check the Fault bucket number. If it is different than above, please post the new number.

Monkeytreez; Yes, that is a safe way to completely reset the indexer. Reboot after changing this value.

Friday, August 03, 2007 1:47 AM
  • Hi Eric,

The fault bucket number is the same: Fault bucket 472089209, type 1

Does that mean that the file you mentioned IS causing the problem still, even though I moved it???

Monkeytreez - thanks for the suggestion. I tired it out, but unfortunately it didn't fix my problem Sad
    Friday, August 03, 2007 2:45 AM
  • Jnicol, looking at your other dumps, that only thing I can figure out is that your tquery.dll.mui data file is corrupted. No one else is currently experiencing this issue and all reports are from your machine.

Please uninstall the product. Search for any instances of tquery.dll.mui under c:\windows\system32 and delete them (there should not be any there) and reinstall the product.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Hi Eric, I too am having the same error of "Windows Search Protocol Host Has Stopped Working" on Vista. It is causing Microsoft Outlook 2007 to run extremely slowly. Is there a possible correlation there? The error message about Windows Search just started popping up regularly in mid session. It wasn't after a startup or after installation of any program. Really weird. I'd like to do what I can to help you evaluate my problem, but may not be as savvy as I think. Could you walk me through it? Also, I should add that I tried to do the regedit fix outlined by Monkey, but I could not find the last key in the tree named 'successfullyinstalled' under Windows Search. Does that possible mean something?

I hope I've made sense, and I hope you can help! This error message is driving me crazy!

Sincerely,

fishgeek

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 2:41 AM
  • Here I quote comment from microsoft person to Jnicol "No one else is currently experiencing this issue and all reports are from your machine." It is not true. I do suffer the same problem. I have more than 5 computers to operate, so,  I can skip one and waiting for answer. I do the same google searching like most people do and find not direct answer targeting to this problem. So, I am still waiting (for answer). People from Microsoft might think it is O.K., because your computer still working. Yes, even I have this problem I still can process the computer because it is not breakdown, it still working. You just feel unhappy about it. The function when I don't really care and it doesn't really bother me. I still feel O.K. to operate with it. By the way, I use Vist Home Premium. I have this problem for about a week or so. It might be a recent problem, I guess. I did not operate the machine with bugs for a week already. See, if anyone come up with any solution to this. Many thanks!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 7:03 AM
  • Please uninstall the product.

Is that popssible without uninstalling Vista? I assumed the two things are inextricably tied to one another.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 2:58 AM
  • "Windows Search Protocol Host Has Stopped Working" on Vista. It is causing Microsoft Outlook 2007 to run extremely slowly.

Same here.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 6:48 AM
  • I've been having this problem for several weeks and haven't found a solution.  I turned off the service.

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:08 PM
  • Very interesting....this seems to be a new problem. How did you turn off the service and how did it affect system performance? Does it slow things down? Also, are you using Outlook 2007 as well and seen major issues with it?

Thanks.

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:11 PM
  • I kept getting a message saying Search had stopped working.  Outlook 2007 performance was so bad that it was unusable.  I cliked on the all programs, Administrative Tools, Services.  Scroll to Windows Search and right click.  Select properties, in the general tab, select Startup type "Disabled" and stop the service if it's running.  Everything works fine including Outlook.  The only issue is that if I search for a message in Outlook or use the Vista search service it says that the search may be slow because the search service is not running.  I hope this works for you.

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:23 PM
  • Hey rodri003, thanks for the tip. Yep, it looks to have solved the problem with Outlook 2007. Back to running smoothly. It's such a shame that the search function needs to be disabled. I guess Vista will be buggy for awhile until they sort out the quirks. Can't wait for Service Pack 1! LOL. Once again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Cheers.

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:12 PM
  • Thanks to Rodri003 this processes did solve the Windows Search Protocol Host. We hope it help others too. Many thanks to Rodri003.

rxf26

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:11 AM
  • Yes, this seems to be an OK workaround. I haven't had any noticeable problems yet. But I think it sucks that the solution to the problem is to simply turn it off??!! I hope Microsoft recognizes this as a known issue and does something about it.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:38 PM
  • 是的,我也遇到了这个问题,在我的硬件环境下(Vista、1G内存),启动系统后占用内存达到了可怕的75%左右,因此,我觉得是系统资源不足和Search Protocol Host性能导致了上述结果。当然另一个原因,我的pst文件体积有进200兆,庞大的文件进行检索或许也是一个费力的事情。

所以,我用了一个简单(甚至显得笨拙)但是相当有效的方法:

1. 将原来Outlook指向的 .PST 文件更名,比如 Outlook.pst 改成 OutlookOld.pst,然后启动Outlook;
    2. 在Outlook找不到文件的提示下,点击打开创建一个新的 .PST 文件,也就是 Outlook.pst ,你会发现这个新的  .PST  文件拥有了大部分与之前相同的设定;
    3. 按照正常方法,把 OutlookOld.pst 中需要使用的数据导入新的 Outlook.pst 即可;

我的应用结果证明这个办法确实有效——虽然这不能解释“Windows Search Protocol Host Has Stopped Working”,但却不至于使我的工作因此停滞,建议您试试!

Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Genius!  This happened to me yesterday but the full implications of not being able to open Outlook 2007 didn't hit until today.  I've googled and searched to no avail until I found your answer and IT WORKS!  Now I can have lunch...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:02 PM
  • After some problems with system freezes (after undocking of my Lenovo T60) the system became extremely sluggish. I suspected the Virus checker, but found that turning off the search indexer did the trick. Now Outlook and OneNote give warnings about slow search and finding things in general has slowed down. I try to turn the search back on from time to time but it keeps crashing.
    I wonder if the reason may be that some index file is corrupted or maybe a search location does not exist any more and has to be removed. Unfortunately configuring search is only possible if it is running and that slows down the machine so much that configuring is not possible any more.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:06 PM
  • I've had the same problems with Search Indexer and Outlook and the workaround proposed earlier has worked for me too.  I think the cause of the problem is a corrupt TQuery.dll but I haven't been able to find a way of getting hold of the correct version of the library - tried an older version but that didn't work.  I've tried running the Office 2007 repair but that didn't work either - presumably because TQuery.dll is a Vista component and not part of the Office setup.  Does anyone know how to locate specific dll's from the Vista installation cd?

Friday, August 24, 2007 8:56 AM
  • tquery.dll is a Vista component.

Your best bet is to run the sfc.exe tool {from an elevated command prompt}.

sfc.exe /? will give you the options for the tool.

"sfc /SCANNOW" will repair any problems found (if possible) 

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:05 AM
  • Where do I find Administrative Tools.  I clicked all programs, but don't see it.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:32 AM
  • I have a similar error message in Vista Ultimate: Windows Search Indexer Has stopped working and was closed. It is a persistent error message, popping up every few seconds.  I have reset search to defaults and restarted with no effect.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:28 PM
  • There is a key in the registry that you can change - reboot and all will be well. I thought the description (which key) was in this thread but it's not. Keep on looking.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Hey rodri003.  I used your suggestion for the Search Protocol Host.  It worked beautifully. Thank you.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:01 AM
  • Thanks Eric - that seems to have done the trick.  I ran scf /SCANNOW and checked that tquery.dll had been restored to windows\system32.  Then I reset the Windows Search service to run automatically and rebooted. 

However, I can't seem to get Windows Search running. 

I tried to manually start the service but got a service-specific error code of -2147218141

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:47 AM
  • I can't find "Adinistrative Tools" either in "All Programs".

This indexer problem keeps popping up on my lappy too. So far it's not affecting performance (seemingly) but it is annoying. I don't have Office 2007 (yet) and I would dearly like to get rid of this annoyance.

Can anyone suggest a remedy?

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 4:02 PM
  • In reading this thread, I would say this is an issue between Search Protocol and Outlook 2007, I'm having the same problem running XP. Looking forward to a fix.

Friday, September 07, 2007 9:11 PM
  •  

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:45 AM
  • TENGO UN PROBLEMAS CON Windows Search Protocol Host. gracias a eso se me desconfigura la pantalla y se distorciona

Monday, October 15, 2007 12:37 PM
  •  

In reference to the most recent post about Microsoft Outlook 2007 being related to this Search Protocol Host error:

I only receive this error message upon opening Outlook 2007, and it only ever appears twice, whether or not I acknowledge them.  Also, these messages only started appearing after I performed a system rollback (I also get the Outlook message saying Business Contact Manager cannot connect, would you like to work offline? -- drives me crazy!)

Friday, December 28, 2007 4:16 AM
  • We have a new (December 07) Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium.  This problem just started on it two weeks ago (March 08).  There are two recommended workarounds in various replies.  1)  Reset the index search in regedit's windows search | setupcompletedsuccessfully to 0 and restart.  2)  In Administrative Tools | Services,  Windows Search | Properties | General | Startup, type "Disabled" and stop the service if it's running.

Is either of these "better?"    Pros/Cons?

Friday, March 21, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Windows Search Protocol has suddenly become compatible again. I restarted it a few weeks ago and there's been no problem. I'm guessing some of the Office 2007 updates have provided a fix. If so - your new machine may just need a gutful of updates and be ready to go. Good luck!

Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:46 PM

• I am having a similiar problem with Windows XP after installing Office Small Business 2007 -

The dialog box error message reads:

"Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.   If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on may be lost."

The error window pops up ~10-15 secs non-stop 24/7.   It appears to have priority on top of all other open windows, demanding attention to be closed.    I have re-booted multiple times.  I have gone into Windows Task Manager and deleted the process -- only to see it instantly re-spawn!  

Any suggestions???

HELP

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Just started getting the message saying the search had stopped working, last night when I opened Outlook 2007. Would pop up every 10 sec or so. Drove me nuts. Thanks for the fix. Worked wonderful.

Vista has alot of bugges to get worked out.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Instead of just clicking on all programs and looking for adminitrstive tools just click the search bar at the bottum and type in tools and it should be in the list that shows up and then go from there
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:59 PM
  • I am also receiving the same problem but I am using Windows XP.  HELP!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:20 AM
  •  Jnicol wrote:
    Recently I have been getting the error message "Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host has stopped working" popping up every 10 seconds when Vista is building its search index. After indexing is complete, the messages disappear.

In the event viewer, the corresponding application errors show up:

Faulting application SearchProtocolHost.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b668, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bd80, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00045208, process id 0x16ec, application start time 0x01c7ce62a8eaadd8.

I have tried system restore, but none of my restore points worked, so it looks like I am going to have to try and track down the problem.

I have tried rebuilding the windows search index, and deleting/rebuilding the actual index file, but that didn't help.

I have done a lot of googling for an answer, and the only solutions I have found applied to people who has Outlook 2007 installed, which I do not.

Any suggestions?
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Thank you!

I will keep looking for Microsoft to answer this and other problems I am having with Vista.

Monday, October 20, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Hi,i am sorry to say that i am not familiar with computer. But i have the same problems with you. could you please tell me where i could find windows search? Then i could continue your following step. I know it is very simple question, but still hoping you could answer my question. my email: edwinaspring@gmail.com. Thanks.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:30 AM
  • I have the same issue. I hope there is a bug fix soon. This is bad news.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:04 AM
  • I ran across this issue after installing the latest Intuos 3 drivers for my tablet.

OS is Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and I am running Outlook 2007.

I ran in to this issue on my 32 bit install some time ago, and after disabling the Windows search feature all issues were resolved, other than the fact that the search feature is not active.

Monday, December 29, 2008 11:59 PM
  • I am having a similer problem with my computer, but i have never use Outlook 2007. also when i try to access my hard drives, windows explorer stops working and has to restart. are these two problems connected? what would cause this?
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:55 AM
  • Unbelievable that this problem has not yet been resolved!!?? What the heck are they doing at Microsoft?? Sleeping? Making their money, they don't care about us... I've had the same problem for weeks now, and Eric Wolz-MSFT has the nerve to say the Jnichols is the only one with this problem and no one else???????

HELLO???? Are you reading any of this Eric??  

"MICROSOFT WINDOWS SEARCH PROTOCOL HOST STOPPED WORKING AND WAS CLOSED"

NOW - what do I need to do to FIX this problem???

Thanks for your KIND resolutions to this problem WE are having

Tori

Friday, January 09, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Ok everyone - I got something here, I found the SearchProtocolHost.exe - in Vista tried to run it, and it gave me another message

This application has failed to start because MSSHook.dll was not found.

Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

It turns out that these files are all in connection to the application called Windows Search 4.0 - which is not a requirement for your computer to function, it's a search tool like http://desktop.google.com/ for example, to find things on your external drive. So, you can choose to re-install the application FREE from Microsoft at http://desktop.google.com/ for example, to find things on your external drive. So, you can choose to re-install the application FREE from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/windowssearch4.mspx - OR  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bc28ed7f-c51b-49cd-b505-95b91b453284&DisplayLang=en  And it should fix the problem guys ... good luck to ya!! Hope it works! Me it won't let me even get to the Installation process so I have no clue what's up with that, maybe y'all will have better luck than i.... :\

Friday, January 09, 2009 4:15 AM
  • ToriH: I've just tried downloading this and received the message "Doesn't apply to your system" which is Vista SP1 Home Premium. So I might try the fix that Eric the Absent put in a post last year (earlier in this thread):
    Quote:
    "Your best bet is to run the sfc.exe tool {from an elevated command prompt}.
    sfc.exe /? will give you the options for the tool.
    "sfc /SCANNOW" will repair any problems found (if possible)

Later: Which I've now tried and received this report:
    "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Report is in c:\Windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Tori, what OS/Service Pack are you using? This error message implies that you are run the .exe from the Windows Search 4.0 release on a computer that does not contain the same files (msshooks.dll is new to WS4.0)

If the SearchProtocolHost.exe process is crashing, are you sending the error reports to Microsoft? If so, can you post the assigned "Bucket ID" of the reported crash?

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:24 PM
  • Eric: Can I send you the log file that resulted from my running sfc /SCANNOW"? (See earlier post.) I've disabled Search and the machine is now working fine, but I would like to have it back.

The problem for me seemed to start when I tried to remedy a problem with Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430), which was requiring recurrent (every day) updates. I resolved this issue by using some of the workarounds described at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/954430. But the problem with Search Protocol Host started as soon as the
    KB954430 problem was resolved. Maybe this gives you a clue?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:34 PM
  • I need the "Bucket ID" of the Windows Error Report report to investigate this issue.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Where do I locate the Bucket ID?

And my OS is Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium, SP 1

Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:09 PM
  • In the event log.

Friday, January 16, 2009 12:06 AM
  • Not sure what you need I can't seem to find "Bucket ID" so here is what I found in my Event Viewer Log:

Faulting application SearchProtocolHost.exe, version 7.0.6001.16503, time stamp 0x483b9996, faulting module MSSHooks.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0xc0000135, fault offset 0x00009cac, process id 0xa10, application start time 0x01c971ee0b826813.

- System

- Provider
    [ Name] Application Error
    - EventID 1000
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 100
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2009-01-09T00:05:56.000Z
    EventRecordID 83327
    Channel Application
    Computer Home-PC
    Security

- EventData

SearchProtocolHost.exe
    483b9996
    MSSHooks.dll
    4791a7a6
    c0000135
    00009cac
    a10
    01c971ee0b826813

Hope it helps, Thanks Eric Smile

Friday, January 16, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Exception c0000135 = LOADER_INIT_FAILURE_STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND

Someone or something has delete the file "MSSHooks.dll". You can verify that that file is missing in c:\windows\system32. This is a valid component of windows and deleting it will cause Windows to stop working correctly.

This issue is usually related to antivirus programs that incorrectly thinks that this files is a virus and deletes it.

Explicitly "RemoveIT Pro 4 SE" had issues with it.

http://forums.microsoft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4070229&SiteID=1

Monday, January 19, 2009 9:49 PM
  •  Great news you guys! Well for me anyway, hopefully will for you all as well...

I installed the free version of

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33

Located here:

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol

First check for updates, then I ran a quick scan, repaired, everything was good on my PC, then ran a Full scan, and I have no error popups now

I highly recommend this you guys, and the Administrators at Download.com also recommend it (4 Red Stars on the page) and users have rated it 4.5 stars out of 5  I personally rate it 5 stars LOL...

try it, ya never know - good luck!!

Monday, January 19, 2009 10:50 PM
  • According to Microsoft Knowledge base article no. 940157 about Windows Search 4.0:

Windows Search 4.0 supports the following operating systems:

* 32-bit versions of Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
        * 64-bit versions of Windows Vista with SP1
        * 32-bit versions of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or a later version
        * 64-bit versions of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or a later version
        * 32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 with SP2
        * 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 with SP2
        * Windows Server 2008
        * Windows Home Server

Link to article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=940157#appliesto

In this article there are also links to download the Windows Search 4.0 packages for the various Windows versions.

If you have 32 bit Vista this is the link for the download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=BC28ED7F-C51B-49CD-B505-95B91B453284&displaylang=en

Windows Search 4.0 shows up in the Uninstall / Change programs list.  Uninstalling and reinstalling sound like a good idea.
    Friday, April 03, 2009 2:27 AM
  • hi guys!
    i have the same problem with the pop up of this message...
    i found administrative tool
    but i don't have there windows search.
    what can i do??
    thanks!!
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:34 AM
  • Tori,

I started getting the message after I transferred files using Vista Transfer to transfer all my stuff to my new Dell......I finally "stumbled" on it in Outlook as it was slowing my email and calendars way down.  While in Outlook click on Tools, then Acct Settings, then Data Files....the link from the old pc was still there...I deleted that one and one other that had to do with my old PC and everything is running fine now.  I hope this helps anyone.

Deb
    • Proposed as answer by debbief48 Friday, April 24, 2009 11:57 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:57 PM
  • I just recently started getting this error after installing SP2 for Vista x64.

Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          7/6/2009 3:18:15 PM
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Computer:      RobVista
    Description:
    Fault bucket 635677193, type 5
    Event Name: BEX
    Response: None
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: SearchProtocolHost.exe
    P2: 7.0.6002.18005
    P3: 49e0244d
    P4: MSPST32.DLL_unloaded
    P5: 0.0.0.0
    P6: 49e7f409
    P7: 5ecee741
    P8: c0000005
    P9: 00000008
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report12e9163f\WER70AE.tmp.version.txt
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report12e9163f\WER70AF.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report12e9163f\WERD1D.tmp.hdmp
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report12e9163f\WER1614.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report0fa91823
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-07-06T22:18:15.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>34259</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>RobVista</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>635677193</Data>
        <Data>5</Data>
        <Data>BEX</Data>
        <Data>None</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>SearchProtocolHost.exe</Data>
        <Data>7.0.6002.18005</Data>
        <Data>49e0244d</Data>
        <Data>MSPST32.DLL_unloaded</Data>
        <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
        <Data>49e7f409</Data>
        <Data>5ecee741</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>00000008</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report12e9163f\WER70AE.tmp.version.txt
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report12e9163f\WER70AF.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report12e9163f\WERD1D.tmp.hdmp
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report12e9163f\WER1614.tmp.mdmp</Data>
        <Data>C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report0fa91823</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Source:        Application Error
    Date:          7/6/2009 3:17:32 PM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    Faulting application SearchProtocolHost.exe, version 7.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e0244d, faulting module MSPST32.DLL_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x49e7f409, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x5ecee741, process id 0x1124, application start time 0x01c9fe877f8f0fe0.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-07-06T22:17:32.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>34258</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>SearchProtocolHost.exe</Data>
        <Data>7.0.6002.18005</Data>
        <Data>49e0244d</Data>
        <Data>MSPST32.DLL_unloaded</Data>
        <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
        <Data>49e7f409</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>5ecee741</Data>
        <Data>1124</Data>
        <Data>01c9fe877f8f0fe0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Usually has another event log posted at the same time:

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Search
    Date:          7/6/2009 2:35:21 PM
    Event ID:      3036
    Task Category: Gatherer
    Level:         Warning
    Description:
    The content source <mapi://{s-1-5-21-1497388042-3113538683-3872259153-1000}/> cannot be accessed.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
     A server error occurred. Check that the server is available.   (0x80041206)

Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Search" Guid="{CA4E628D-8567-4896-AB6B-835B221F373F}" EventSourceName="Windows Search Service" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">3036</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-07-06T21:35:21.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>34249</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="ExtraInfo">

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
     A server error occurred. Check that the server is available.   (0x80041206)
    </Data>
        <Data Name="URL">mapi://{s-1-5-21-1497388042-3113538683-3872259153-1000}/</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

I'm running Office 2007 with Outlook 2007 also and I get these errors whenever I open/close Outlook 2007.

Rob

Monday, July 06, 2009 10:32 PM
  • I'm also getting this error Protocol Host stopped working.  I read through some of the previous posts and I don't use Outlook so I'm not sure what's causing my problems.  I get 2 different blue screens 1 Bad_Pool_Header and 2 Memory_Management.  I've tried restoring my computer and it won't.  My computer won't download Microsoft updates, I've tried and I've run Chkdsk numerous times to see if I could remedy the problem.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Stacy
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:00 AM
  • I am getting this Protocol Host Error, and while I'm an experienced computer user, most of what I see in this thread is gibberish to me. Can you give me a straightforward fix to the problem? I've had the computer for about a year, but I did just recently start using Outlook on it. I suspect that's where the error comes in. How do I fix it??

Jayne Higgins
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Hi there !

I have very similar error dialogue, but I get it when I try to open Outlook. I can not get outlook to work at all. I am using Vista Pro.

Please help if you can!

Regards

Rossi

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             OUTLOOK.EXE

Application Version:                           12.0.6504.5000

Application Timestamp:                     49e7f47e

Fault Module Name:                          mspst32.dll

Fault Module Version:                        12.0.6504.5000

Fault Module Timestamp:                  49e7f409

Exception Code:                                  c0000005

Exception Offset:                                00096876

OS Version:                                          6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional information about the problem:

LCID:                                                     1033

Brand:                                                   Office12Crash

skulcid:                                                 1033

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Monday, August 03, 2009 6:53 AM
  • Hi Eric!

For the past tow weeks I am getting the massege below when I am trying to open Outlook. I can not get outlook to work at all. I am using Vista Pro.

Please help if you can!

Regards

Rossi

Problem signature:

Monday, August 03, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

Try running a Spybot search and destroy scan. If you are as lucky as me you will have eblaster on your machine. I had Symantec and changed to Kaspersky password protected. Symantec did not pick it up. Both Kaspersky and Spybot did.

Disclaimer: I have no romantic interests for the last 8 years, I don't work home and I am not a kid. Still trying to figure out who did this and why.

Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:16 AM
  • Hi Marta57

Do you think this is virus related? I had McAfee software and installed it, because I thought that gives me trouble.  Friend had problem activating Kaspersky. I see many suggestions are to get Registry Cleaner Repair Tool  

I do not understand the Disclaimer. May be I can help you with some advise.

Regards

Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Hellow i am having a problem. i am not a tech person but my Vista laptop stoped working. when i try to log back in to my profile the screen goes black and says "Microsoft Windows Search protocol Host stopped working" and then it closes and leaves me with a blanck screen. I run the laptop in "Safe Mode" and it works but with no internet. I also have tried restoring it to a previous date and that still dowent work. What do i do?????!?!?!?!? PLEASE email me back an answer at                          rileycurtis@ymail.com                          THX
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 5:56 AM
  • have you fixed ur computer? i am having the same prob. please help and repli answer to     rileycurtis@ymail.com
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 5:58 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I tried to follow the instructions that you've given to Jnicol but I'm not as technical and lost you after you asked him to open WDS.  Can you help me?

Thank you.

Monday, March 22, 2010 4:30 PM
  • I have the same problem and I have Office 2007 installed.  Outlook keeps shutting down and then Windows Vista Freezes resulting in a power off so as to re-start the machine.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:04 PM
  • What I love, is that Widows tells you they will provide a solution, yet never do.  I've glanced at what I may need to do on my own to clear this up, and it would take weeks, at best.  These weeks would be involved in doing nothing but trying to correct the problem, hence nothing else would be accomplished.

So, for microsoft to say that they have no knowledge of the problem is ludicrous.  What they should be saying is they don't have a clue, and give us all enough money to buy a new OP system, and provide us with free back-up of all files and programs that need to be saved.

Friday, August 06, 2010 2:25 PM
  • Same problem but with Vista Home Edition.

Hi there !

I have very similar error dialogue, but I get it when I try to open Outlook. I can not get outlook to work at all. I am using Vista Pro.

Please help if you can!

Regards

Rossi

Problem signature:

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:18 PM
  • This advice worked for me. Thanks for sharing the info..You're awesome
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Per this thread, I changed the setting in the registry. I also downloaded Microsoft Office updates. After rebooting, the problem disappeared. Thank you!
    Monday, November 21, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Why should they fix it, since only one user is experiencing the problem?  :-)

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Why should they fix it, since only one user is experiencing the problem?  :-)

What makes you think one person has this problem? Read the thread.

What fixed it for me was downloading and running this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB971058

It resets the Windows Update components which should have nothing to do with the Windows Search but it worked.

NFC /scannow found some problems but was unable to fix them and the service would not start.

Monday, March 19, 2012 9:47 AM
  • I had the same problem but it seemed to fix itself? I restarted my computer and the hard drive was checked for consistancy on boot. I watched it closely. It removed 2 index files and recovered an "orphan file". Whatever those mean, it works properly now :)
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:40 PM