none
windows 2003 & microsoft p2p

Question

• Hello. everyone.

I'm trying to test p2p on windows 2003 service pack2.

But I couldn't find "peer to peer netwoking" at the add/remove windows component.

I read that windows 2003 sp1 or above supports teredo, so I think it supports microsoft p2p, am I right?

Then how can I install p2p on windows 2003 sp2?

Please I need any help.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 9:51 PM

Answers

• There is no support for anything other than PeerChannel in Windows Server 2003 or 2008.  Windows Server does not have many of the components that the other P2P technologies depend upon so this magnifies the challenge of getting the Windows P2P components to work on Windows Server.

It sounds like your goal is (1) to have the server authenticate and authorize peers and then feed them content that will be republished in a P2P Group to facilitate efficient sharing of the content.  It also sounds like (2) you want to audit the actions of the Group.

You can achieve (1) using a channel other than Grouping to distribute the initial data (essentially seeding the content to an initial peer).  You already needed to implement an mechanism for authenticating and authorizing peers in order to issue them Group membership so this work could be an extension of that.

(2) Auditing the actions of the Group is good for finding out what well-behaved peers in the Group are doing.  Malicious peers do not need to use Grouping to share content so auditing does not ensure that you will know if the content has been shared outside the Group.  Since a server can't be a member of a Group you will not be able to audit things like who published what records.  You can only audit who got an initial copy of the content.  Again, if the purpose of your auditing was to help discern who had access to some content it cannot tell you who a malicious peer may have given the content to after the server gave it to the peer.

I'm sorry the Windows P2P technologies aren't supported on Windows Server.  I would like to help you work with this limitation.  Please either continue to post on the forum or if you would like a more direct dialogue you can email Tyler Barton or Ravi Rao (their contact information should be in the introductory forum post).

-Eliot

Monday, July 09, 2007 8:27 PM

All replies

• A part of the peer to peer platform ships on Windows Server 2003 - not all pieces do. This is the Peer Channel built on Windows Communication Foundation.  A starting point to the SDK documentation on the peer channel is located at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.servicemodel.netpeertcpbinding.aspx. Peer Channel samples are located at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms752266.aspx.

In order to use the peer channel, you will need to install .Net 3.0 framework. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Ravi

Friday, July 06, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. It's helpful.

Can I ask questions again?

I read Windows xp supports ms p2p when you install advanced networking pack.

Does this kind of thing exist for Windows 2003?

if Windows 2003 doesn't fully support p2p, cause I need Peer Grouping, then I'm going to choosel windows 2008 instead of 2003.

I'm almost sure Windows 2008 fully support ms p2p. Am I right?

Thanks for reply again.

Friday, July 06, 2007 5:28 PM
  • The Windows Server products, such as Server 2003 and 2008, do not support Grouping.  Grouping and the Collaboration features (People Near Me, Windows Meeting Space, AppInvite) are considered client-oriented frameworks, and do not come with the Server editions of Windows.  Windows Server (2003, 2008) only come with PNRP and Identity Manager.

So, if you need Grouping for application development, we recommend the Windows Vista platform.

Friday, July 06, 2007 9:34 PM
  • Thank you for quick replying.

You said server products don't come with p2p networking, does that mean 2003 or 2008 server can't act as a peer?

I think there's no reason that should prohibit servers from taking a role as a peer.

I intended to make server act as main peer,  so that It can make server group, accept peer's identities and issue invitations for them. maintain group/record/guest peers/etc. and keep peer list/record list/log into Database too.

if server can't be peer. then I shoud use Vista or XP as a server. that's a real problem..

Please let me know any way to make server act as a peer.

Friday, July 06, 2007 9:52 PM
  • There is no support for anything other than PeerChannel in Windows Server 2003 or 2008.  Windows Server does not have many of the components that the other P2P technologies depend upon so this magnifies the challenge of getting the Windows P2P components to work on Windows Server.

It sounds like your goal is (1) to have the server authenticate and authorize peers and then feed them content that will be republished in a P2P Group to facilitate efficient sharing of the content.  It also sounds like (2) you want to audit the actions of the Group.

You can achieve (1) using a channel other than Grouping to distribute the initial data (essentially seeding the content to an initial peer).  You already needed to implement an mechanism for authenticating and authorizing peers in order to issue them Group membership so this work could be an extension of that.

(2) Auditing the actions of the Group is good for finding out what well-behaved peers in the Group are doing.  Malicious peers do not need to use Grouping to share content so auditing does not ensure that you will know if the content has been shared outside the Group.  Since a server can't be a member of a Group you will not be able to audit things like who published what records.  You can only audit who got an initial copy of the content.  Again, if the purpose of your auditing was to help discern who had access to some content it cannot tell you who a malicious peer may have given the content to after the server gave it to the peer.

I'm sorry the Windows P2P technologies aren't supported on Windows Server.  I would like to help you work with this limitation.  Please either continue to post on the forum or if you would like a more direct dialogue you can email Tyler Barton or Ravi Rao (their contact information should be in the introductory forum post).

-Eliot

Monday, July 09, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Thank you.

I think I'd better find another way. web seriver, or socket commnunication, whatever.

Thanks for detailed answer anyway.

By the way I just wonder no adding p2p tech in server product is microsoft's polcy line? or will MS implement it later?

Monday, July 09, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Speaking as somebody who doesn't get to make those types of decisions, I would guess that the only way Microsoft would invest in bringing the rest of the p2p framework to server is if there were significant customer demand.  Being a client-oriented architecture, we do make an effort when designing these protocols to make sure that they work reliably without requiring the user to deploy special servers.  In other words, the p2p networks are meant to be resilient enough so that even if something happens to one of the nodes, the rest keep functioning.

Vladimir
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 6:22 PM