windows vista the audio service is not running

Question

• i have windows vista Ultimate.
    and Sound card: Realtek High Definition Audio and Creative SB Audigy.
    both have latest driver instaled running fine on Device Manger. (This device is working properly.)

but on Sevices i can't start/run windows Audio.  Windows Audio Endpoint Buidler is running fine.

i have tried following 2 method but still not working
    1)
    windows Audio >> Properties >> logon tab >> i have check on "Local system Account"
    but when i try to start i get follwoing error
    Windows couldnot start the Windows Audio Service on Local computer.
    Error 1079: the account specified for the service is diffrent from the account specified for other service running in the same process.
    2)
    windows Audio >> Properties >> logon tab >> i have check on this account "Local Services"
    Error 1297: Aprevilege that the service require to function properly doesnot exist in the service account configuration. you may use the services microsoft management console (mmc) snap-in (services.msc) and the local security settings mmc snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service configuration and the account configuration.

please help thanks

Saturday, September 01, 2007 7:53 PM

Answers

• Sounds like an audio support question.  Try http://support.microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 4:09 PM
  •  

i reinstall the vista then it works fine.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:43 PM

All replies

• Sounds like an audio support question.  Try http://support.microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 4:09 PM
  •  

i check on support.microsoft.com. nothing found
    Tuesday, September 04, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Hey, I just bought Windows Vista Ultimate on Monday and I am having the same problem.  I even have the same stuff as you.  I have spent the last 2 days trying to get my audio to work and still nothing!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:34 AM
  • Hi, I hope you've fixed you problem. I've seen a slew of these Vista problems concerning the Audio Service not wanting to start( re start )

I just got some excellent speakers which I'm dying to try out.  The new drivers doesn't fix the problem, nor going to the securities settings.

If You've figured a way out of this quagmire, I'd appreciate a heads up.

this was a post I copied which mirrored exactly what happened to me three days ago.

i have windows vista Ultimate.
    both have latest driver instaled running fine on Device Manger. (This device is working properly.)

but on Sevices i can't start/run windows Audio.  Windows Audio Endpoint Buidler is running fine.

1)
    windows Audio >> Properties >> logon tab >> i have check on "Local system Account"
    Error 1079: the account specified for the service is diffrent from the account specified for other service running in the same process.
    2)
    windows Audio >> Properties >> logon tab >> i have check on this account "Local Services"
    Error 1297: Aprevilege that the service require to function properly doesnot exist in the service account configuration. you may use the services microsoft management console (mmc) snap-in (services.msc) and the local security settings mmc snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service configuration and the account configuration.

please help thanks

anyway I find a bunch of nonsense and nothing which would fix the problem except reinstalling windows which I do NOT wish to do.  I've four month of work and don't want to go through the whole reinstall the software.

thanks

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:24 AM
  •  

i reinstall the vista then it works fine.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem for 25 mins & found solution.

Just type in "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" (not brackets) into this account and remove passwords, thats it.  Go to Genral tab and click start.

This solved error 1079 for me .

Windows could not start the Windows Audio Service on Local computer.

Hopes this helps any one else who gets this problem.

GGMan

PS:  Windows Audio & Windows Audio Endpoint Builder need to be running.  Also, if you look under the tab called Dependencies, you see what other services is required for sound to work.
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 11:12 PM
  •  

Just type in "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" (not brackets) into this account and remove passwords, thats it.  Go to Genral tab and click start.cat website

This solved error 1079 for me .

Windows could not start the Windows Audio Service on Local computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem , ,, Thank you for reminding.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:17 PM
  • where do u type NT "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" (not brackets)

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:25 AM
  •  Joey Bob 4 Pres wrote:
    where do u type NT "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" (not brackets)

Click: Tab >Log On
    Select: This Account
    Paste: NT AUTHORITY\LocalService (into fist box just left of Browse option)
    Next: Leave password blank.
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:59 AM
  • i'm having real trouble with this i get a error code 1068.i have reloaded the drivers installed updates from dell website but nothing seems to work been on this for a week now and really getting annoyed! can anyone give me a soluiton please

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 9:38 PM
  • OK, I have a 2 month old Dell Inspiron 1720 that is having the same problem - all of a sudden a couple days ago my audio stopped working.  I try to manually start the Windows Audio service from the Service Control Manager and it says "Windows could not start the Windows Audio service on Local Computer.  Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."  I then try to manually start the MMCSS dependent service and get: "Windows could not start the MMCSS service on Local Computer.  Error 193: 0xc1".  Looking in the Event Viewer under Windows Logs-->System I see an error message: "The MMCSS service terminated with the following error:  MMCSS is not a valid Win32 application."

I called Dell and spent the afternoon with them trying to use System Restore to load several different restore points, eventually going all the way back to the original restore point (2 months ago).  None of the restore points will load successfully.  Dell then said it's a software problem and maybe a Microsoft update stomped on their "QuickSet" application and recommended I download the latest driver for QuickSet and re-install it.  I did that and still no audio.

What the F*&k is going on?  Is this a MS Vista issue or a problem with Dell s/w (or maybe a problem with both)?

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Just updating this thread with more information...

Since I have an MSDN subscription, I tried downloading and installing the Vista SP1 release candidate.  It stopped about 1/2 way through and gave the error message described here.  I tried each of the recommended resolutions and none of them worked either.

Possible Windows Update culprit?  I found this news.com article stating that Microsoft pulled http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287 a day after it was sent out b/c it was causing issues.  I looked at my update history in Windows Update and, sure enough, I have KB 937287 installed.  So, I'm wondering if that is the culprit?  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to uninstall it.  Now that I have a possible culprit, I'm going to try calling Dell support again...I'll post update later.

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Editing the dependency for the Windows Audio service as described in this TechNet thread worked for me!

The problem was an incomplete Creative installation that only finished partly.  From the thread above:

"Try going into regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Audiosrv
    and in the DependOnService remove all entries except RpcSs and then restart your computer.
    If it doesn't fix your problem just add the other 2 dependencies back in or something. Might not be a bad idea to back up your registry before you make any changes."

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:15 AM
  •  

hi bro

i done this but

actually i dont know how to do this

i go to user name password

and i put this as user name dear i wount work

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:04 PM
  • thanks u very much

i have solved my problem by this

Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:20 PM
  • my audio service is not running.

How can I fix this?

How did you fix yours?

Thank you,

Melissa

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:38 AM
  • Click Start & type "services.msc" in the search box (presuming you are using vista), then just press enter.
    Look for "Windows Audio" & "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder".

Make sure they are running/started & set to automatic.

GGMan

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:57 PM
  • I did what you said, and when I clicked on "Windows Audio" I clicked the start button and at first it was loading but then it said this "Windows couldn't start the Windows Audio service on Local Computer

Error 0x80004005: unspecified error"

But when I went to "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" it said it was already started and running and set to automatic.

Can you please try to help me figure this out more?

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:53 PM
  • Have a look at these images to see whats different in yours, marked in red.  Also under Dependencies (shot 4) make sure all the "following system components" are running. 
    PS:  Have  you tried system restore to when it was working & is your sound card working ok in device manager?

Monday, May 19, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Thanks, this helped to fix it.

On desktop, right click My Computer and click Manage. Select the Systems sections till you get the list of all the systems. Double click the Windows Audio line to get the pages displayed above. on the first tab the service was stopped and would not restart but came up with the 1086 error. On the 4th tab, Dependencies, go into each one on the list of services page, and make sure they are all running/ started. Go back to the Windows Audio line and then start the service and it runs. Problem solved.

Luckily I have only spent 4 days with no sound, but could have been a lot more.

Good luck

N

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:04 PM
  • What Fixed the Issue:-

Navigate in regedit to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Audiosrv

and in the DependOnService remove all except RpcSs and then restart your computer.

Enjoy
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:13 PM
  •  johnny_vlc wrote:

i have windows vista Ultimate.

1)
    2)

please help thanks

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:10 AM
  •  

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:19 AM
  •  

The regedit solution worked for me, too. 

Start/Run/regedit

Click your way to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Audiosrv

In DependOnService remove all entries except RpcSs

Restart your computer

I wrote down the other items in the DependOnService entry just in case they needed to be added back later.  Didn't have to add them back though.  Audio started working after a restart. 

Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:26 PM
  • i have tried all of these solutions but i keep getting the same error. I keep getting the program cant be run because it does not exist. service32 and then the name. So I have no sound, no system restore, cant right click on my comp...nothing...please help.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Can I just tell you guys, this entire thread [as well as 2 hours of browsing and trying everything including the net start commands and creating new user accounts] DID NOT HELP me..

First it started with the win32.dll not running errors, then the sound card went dead because windows is MAGIC like that.  On a complete whim, I tried this, rebooted once and my system worked FINE.

start
    run
    msconfig
    [on the general tab] click normal start up
    reboot

tada..sound..piece of ____ windows.

Good luck
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:51 PM