none
How do I disable the "SECURITY FREEZE LOCK" on my SATA hard disk?

Question

• I am sending ATA commands to SATA HDD using IOCTL_ATA_PASS_THROUGH in windows. IDENTIFY DEVICE (ECh) ATA commands returns 256 words of data.
    Word 128, Bit 3 is set in the returned data, and according to ATA specs the bit denotes Device is in security frozen mode.
    Because of that, ATA Security Commands are getting aborted. I tried power off/Hardware Reset as mentioned in ATA specs to disable Security Frozen mode.
    But the device is stil in security frozen state. I am doubting on windows atapi / ataport driver for making HDD security frozen.

How to disable this security frozen mode?? Please Help me...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:49 AM

All replies

• This is typically a BIOS setting, check your systems BIOS to see if you can disable it.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Ad Donald said, BIOS can issue Security Freeze Lock command and it's is a common practical. Drivers also send this command during initialization time to make sure the device security status cannot be changed at runtime.

Which ATA command do you send to disk and what you want to achieve please?

Regards,

Michael Xing

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:53 PM
  • Hi Michael Xing,

I am sending ATA security commands like SECURITY_SET_PASSWORD, SECURITY_DISABLE_PASSWORD, SECURITY_UNLOCK. These commands are getting aborted because of Security freeze. I tried power off/hardware reset(as mentioned in ATA  specs) to unlock security freeze, but it is not happening. Do windows provide any provision for not setting security freeze lock after power on??  

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Hi Donald ,

In my case, BIOS is not setting Security freeze lock because i am connecting the testing SATA HDD after booting. I am doubting on the default SATA AHCI driver for setting security freeze lock during intialization of the device( may be Scan for Hardware Changes after power on).

Is there any way to disable security freeze lock after the driver does it??

• Edited by iamUK Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:55 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:19 AM