none
Looking for mscorcfg.msc SDK tool

Question

• Hi,

I've installed Visual Studio 2008 SP1 on my VISTA Ultimate 32bits machine. I've then installed the following SDKs:
    - Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7.0 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
           http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=71deb800-c591-4f97-a900-bea146e4fae1&displaylang=en
    - Microsoft Visual Studio SDK 1.1
           http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=59ec6ec3-4273-48a3-ba25-dc925a45584d&DisplayLang=en

I'm looking for the following tool which seems to be missing:
           - mscorcfg.msc (.Net Framework Configuration tool)

According to the book I'm reading, the tool is supposed to be shipped with the .NET Framework 3.5 SDK.

"...the .NET Framework 3.5 SDK does ship with a tool that allows you to build XML Configuration files using a friendly GUY.  You can find the .NET Framework Configuration utility under the Administrative Tools folder of your Control Panel..."

Also on a thread about that same subject, I could read:

"In .net framework 3.5, the tool Mscorcfg.msc is installed with the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK)."

Now I do understand that my first SDK install (Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7.0 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1) should have installed this tool?  Am I wrong?   Also it is written that I should find this ".NET Framework Configuration utility" under the Administrative Tools folder.  I just can't find it anywhere...  Neither can I find any trace of the file "mscorcfg.msc" on my c: drive...  

Can someone help?  Is there a way to get that tool apart installing .NET Framwork 2.0 which I would really like to avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Stéphane

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:39 AM

All replies

• It is removed in Windows SDK since Windows SDK 6.0a (the version shipped with VS 2008). You can use the caspol utility in .Net instead.

If you really need it, get the .Net 2.0 SDK (I know, 354MB download). It is also included in Visual Studio 2005 and earlier Windows SDKs like the Windows SDK 6.0 (The Update for Windows Vista version). You may want to try a web install of Windows SDK and see if you can only install .Net SDK tools to save some bandwidth.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for reply.  I could effectively notice that it has disappeared since VS2008.  I actually have Windows SDK 6.0a and 7 installed and still no trace of it but I could notice that "caspol.exe" tool which I don't have a clue about its usage.  The only feedback I have so far about this tool are those many complaints I could read on many threads on the .NET...  Most of these complaints being about its not very user-friendly interface forcing users to issue "dos-like" commands compared to a more "graphical" and intuitive interface they used to have with "mscorcfg.msc" tool.

As I don't want to install the whole .NET 2.0 SDK, I would certainly like to find a way to install this only "mscorcfg.msc" tool.  I have VS2005 installed on another machine.  Is there a way I can copy/transfer this tool over my VS2008 machine and make it work?

Thanks again for helping,

Stéphane
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Hi Stephanie
    To ensure the tool will function properly I would recommend you install it via the Microsoft® Windows® Software Development Kit Update for Windows Vista™ product. You won’t need to install the whole SDK, but rather you can simply follow these steps to get just the .NET Development Tools of which mscorcfg.msc is a component of. You’ll get a few extra tools, but the install is relatively small and should take less than a minute or two over a decent internet connection.

Select the download option from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4377f86d-c913-4b5c-b87e-ef72e5b4e065&displaylang=en. Proceed through the setup screens until you reach the ‘Installation Options’ screen. On this screen deselect everything but the ‘.NET Development Tools’ option located under ‘Developer Tools’ > ‘Windows Development Tools’.  A typical installation using the default options installs the tool under [Program Files]\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\bin.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Lisa Rugen

Windows SDK Program Manager

Lisa
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for reply.  Before proceeding with install of "Microsoft Windows SDK update for Windows VISTA", is there any chance that installing those tools, as recommended, might overwrite ones I already have following install of SDKs.  As a recall:

- Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7.0 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
           http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=71deb800-c591-4f97-a900-bea146e4fae1&displaylang=en
    - Microsoft Visual Studio SDK 1.1
           http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=59ec6ec3-4273-48a3-ba25-dc925a45584d&DisplayLang=en

Thanks for helping,

Stéphane
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Multiple SDKs can exist side by side. Copying files won't work because there are some files need to be registered in gac

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Stephanie-
    What Sheng has written is correct. The SDKs will live under different versioned folders under [Program Files]\Microsoft SDKs\Windows and will coexist with each other side by side.

Thanks
    Lisa Rugen
    Windows SDK Program Manager
    Lisa
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:35 PM
  • Hi again,

I knew that different versions of SDK could coexist on same machine.  I actually have 6.0A and 7.0 on my laptop.  In fact, before installing the update Lisa was recommending, I just wanted to know what exact SDK is the "Microsoft Windows SDK update for Windows VISTA" affecting or updating?  Or maybe are we talking here about another SDK totally different from 6.0a and 7.0?  I don't have much experience in that field...

Thanks,

Stéphane
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Yes, it is Windows SDK V6.0. Just like V6.0a from VS 2008 and V7 for Windows 7, it is another version of Windows SDK.

Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:38 PM
  • Hi Sheng,

Thanks for clarifying.  In fact, one book I'm actually reading is recommending mscorcfg.msc tool for authoring *.config files as well as generating configuration details for shared assemblies, all this in a more "graphical" way.  I tried to find the equivalent using "caspol" tool but couldn't figure out. 

Honestly, if you ask me if I would prefer a graphic user interface or a command-line prompt to manage these tasks, the answer would certainly be the GUI. 

Now, considering that the "mscorcfg.msc" tool is mainly a .NET Framework 2.0 (3.0?!?) tool (if my understanding of all this is ok...), will I be able to achieve the same tasks in a .NET Framework 3.5 context as an example?  This point was not precisely documented.  Your opinion?

Other important detail about the "mscorcfg.msc" tool installed via the SDK update proposed by Lisa, will it function properly in a VS2008 context considering the fact that the update is primarily targetting a .NET Framework 3.0/VS2005 context?

Finally, an important detail regarding install.   I must understand that the installer that is downloaded from the link supplied by Lisa is in fact a web installer.  As I had problem in the past trying to install a program through a web installer (in fact Windows 7 SDK), is there any other way to install this update?

Stéphane

Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Hi again,

I found and downloaded the ISO file for the Windows SDK update.  In fact, I didn't notice that there was a link for it on the webpage. My mistake...

Before proceeding with burning dvd and then install, I would really appreciate to have someone's opinion on following issues.  As a recall:

-> Will "mscorcfg.msc", installed via the update, function properly in a VS2008/.NET Framework 3.5 context considering the fact
                  that the update is primarily targetting a VS2005/.NET Framework 3.0 context?

-> How can "CasPol.exe" be used for authoring *.config files as well as generating configuration details for shared assemblies?

Hope to hear from someone,

Stéphane
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:21 PM
  • There is no separate configuration utility for the .Net Framework 3.0 and 3.5. The version 2.0 configuration utility is the correct one to use for v2.0, v3.0, and v3.5

You don't need a blank CD, a virtual CD software or a software that can extract ISO files would be enough.

Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:12 AM
  • Hi Sheng,

Thanks for clarifying.  I could read tonight similar note about "configuration utility" on MSDN while searching for another article.   Here is in fact the link I found: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2bc0cxhc.aspx.

Can you tell me more about "virtual CD software" or "software that can extract ISO files"?  Honestly, burning DVD using Nero software has always been so far the only way I could extract anything from iso files... 

Thanks again for helping.  Really appreciated!

Stéphane
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:25 AM
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_image_software

Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Hi again,

Thanks for list.  Now if I want to install software, I saw two features highlighted which would probably be appropriate:  extracting and mounting.

For "Mounting", it quite looks similiar to what I'm actually doing.  I see that I could probably use tools to "mount" to a virtual drive instead of burning a DVD which means that I need from start a virtual drive configured somewhere...   

Now, for "Extracting", I presume for my "setup" to work properly that I have no choice but to extract and copy everything at the "root" of a USB drive as an example...  Is my understanding ok?

Thanks for helping,

Stéphane

Friday, October 23, 2009 7:37 PM
  • for mounting the software should add a virtual CD device to your system and you need to mount the iso to the device. For extracting you can extract files to any folder. It does not have to be a root folder.

Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, October 23, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Hi again,

I would like to get back to the extraction process.

I understand that I can extract files to any folder even if it is not at the root of a drive.  No doubt about it.  My fear is that if I extract an "install software" from an ISO file and do not install it at the root of something, the corresponding "setup.exe" file being now located within a subdirectory and all other related files probably in subdirectories of my subdirectory, I'm not sure that the whole install process might work properly.  Isn't it?  

That is why I presume that, for this kind of setup, it should be better to extract the content of my ISO file at the root of a drive whatever it is a DVD, USB or virtual drive.  Is my understanding ok or am I missing something?

Stéphane
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:04 PM
  • From my experience Windows SDK can be installed from any location. I have installed from a network share before.

Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, October 23, 2009 11:06 PM
  • Hi again,

I've taken a look at the softwares/sharewares available from the link supplied.  I would definitely look for an extracting software as NERO at this moment fulfill my needs for mounting/burning ISO file on DVD.

Now I also took a look at the software "Virtual Clone Drive" and could exchange a few e-mails with their support team.  Seems to do the job and they also confirmed that we could finally get rid of virtual drive created by software whenever we're done with it.  But...  I've always prefered to go with software recommended by pairs, ones they have tested and used.  Any extracting software someone would recommend, that we know it really works?

Thanks for follow-up,

Stéphane
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:42 AM
  • Does WinZip and WinRar sound good for you?

Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Hi again,

I appreciate your help.  This morning, I downloaded ISO file from link provided by LISA (in fact downloaded it twice in order to validate the downloaded file).  As a recall here is the link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/2/6/42684501-9ec5-43dd-9dfe-c8c9dfa6a66f/6.1.6000.16384.10.WindowsSDK_Vista_Feb2007Update_rtm.DVD.Rel.iso

I then tried to extract it's content with a few ISO extracting programs each time giving me the same result.  The only file I can see is a file named "readme.t".  Sounds to me that Microsoft's ISO file format may require a specific ISO extractor program... 

I finally tested with WinRAR version 3.9 and could finally see it's full content.

Stéphane

Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Hi again everyone,

I' ve proceeded with install following the instructions of Lisa.  

On "installation options" screen I unchecked everything except:
           - Developer Tools
                  - Windows Development Tools
                          -> .NET Development tools

All other options except ".NET Development tools" were then marked with an "X".

After install completed successfully, I restarted laptop.  Once startup process completed, from within VISTA, I clicked on VISTA startup menu item "Windows SDK" then chose "Cmd Shell".  From command shell, I typed "mscorcfg.msc".  I got the ".NET Framework 2.0 Configuration" window showing up but with the following error message:

"MMC n'a pas pu créer le composant logiciel affichable"

Can someone tell me what is causing this?  Is it possible that I must also install something else?

Hope to hear from someone,

Stéphane

Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:18 PM
  • If you have Windows XP SP3, check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957502.

Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Hi Sheng,

As stated in my last reply, install was done on Vista, specifically it is VISTA Ultimate 32 bits SP2.  Any hint?

Stéphane
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Check if mscorcfg.dll is in GAC.

Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, October 26, 2009 1:45 AM
  • Hi Sheng,

I don't know if the following answers your question.  I issued the following command "dir mscorcfg.dll /s" from dos prompt window and got the following result:

C:\>dir mscorcfg.dll /s
    Le volume ...

Répertoire de C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\mscorcfg\3.5.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a

2009-01-29    21:17      1,712,128 mscorcfg.dll

I also issued following command from within CMD Shell and got following results:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\gacutil /l mscorcfg
    Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.  Version 2.0.50727.312
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

The Global Assembly Cache contains the following assemblies:
      mscorcfg, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=x86

Number of items = 1

Is this answering your question or would you like me to try something else?    Also, btw, this was the only one occurence found of mscorcfg.dll. 

Stéphane

Monday, October 26, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Yes, it looks like it is in GAC. Check http://blogs.msdn.com/knom/archive/2007/06/12/visual-studio-2008-orcas-problems-with-net-configuration-mmc-snap-in.aspx

Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Hi Sheng,

I've taken a look at the article and did a search in my registry.  I couldn't find any entry with following key value:
                                 HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{A22B5BA1-D8CF-4db6-BC91-CFC1A04E2469

Any other suggestion?

Stéphane
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:57 AM
  • strange, you can try register MSCORMMC.DLL

Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Hi again,

I don't know if the following might be pertinent.  I did a search for "mscormmc.dll" in registry and found many entries most if not all of them with the following common info:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3024B989-5633-39E8-B5F4-93A5D510CF99}
      - Implemented Categories
         - {62C8FE65-4EBB-45E7-B440-6E39B2CDBF29}
               - REG_SZ  {no value}
         - InprocServer32
               - REG_SZ  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscormmc.dll                      <= is this what you are looking for?
               - REG_SZ  mscorcfg, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a   <= this was common to all
               - REG_SZ  Microsoft.CLRAdmin.MMC_PSO
               - REG_SZ  v1.0.3705
               - REG_SZ  Both

I searched every occurence of mscormmc.dll under "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework" and could only found one occurence under "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.30705"...

Now if it is not registered, can you tell me how/where to register it?

Thanks for your help,

Stéphane
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:25 AM
  • See http://mygreenpaste.blogspot.com/2006/03/net-framework-20-configuration-tool.html

Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Hi again,

A few things I could observe while taking a look at the link you supplied.

First all these registry entries proposed do not exist on my system.  Next, I was amazed to see the following infos:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{A22B5BA1-D8CF-4db6-BC91-CFC1A04E2469}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\Utils\\NetFW20Utils\\mscormmc.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Both"
    "Class"="Microsoft.CLRAdmin.CData"
    "Assembly"="mscorcfg, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    "RuntimeVersion"="v2.0.50727"

What I actually have in my registry for same "key" is:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{18BA7139-D98B-43C2-94DA-2604E34E175D}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v1.0.3705\\mscormmc.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Both"
    "Assembly"="mscorcfg, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    "RuntimeVersion"="v1.0.3705"

1.  The registry modifications proposed in the article are "personalized" to a particular install setup.

I mean "personalized" as, for example, it is making reference to a directory "c:\\utils\NetFw20Utils\" which sounds like if the author manually installed somekind of a patch.

2. All entries I actually have in my registry make reference to a version 1.0.3705/1.0.3300.0 not 2.0.50727/2.0.0.0.  

Why are all these key values suggested in article referencing this version 2.0.50727???  I don't have a clue...  Again, if I issue a "dir mscormmc.dll" command from c:\, I get that same reference (C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.0.30705)...  Certainly related...  Maybe you can explain?!?

3. Now if it is a registering problem, which I'm honestly not sure of, is there a more automated way to do it instead of playing with the registry?

I honestly do not feel very confortable with this and wouldn't like to "screw up" anything...  The solution as proposed would require many modifications to registry values in order to adapt to the actual context I have on my machine. 

Stéphane

Monday, October 26, 2009 4:57 AM
  • Hi again,

This is my last try for tonight.  Almost 3h00 a.m....  I compared my registry entries with all the ones suggested by the article from the link you supplied and came up with something interesting...

Registry values suggested by author:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{A22B5BA1-D8CF-4db6-BC91-CFC1A04E2469}\InprocServer32]
    "ThreadingModel"="Both"
    "Assembly"="mscorcfg, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{A22B5BA1-D8CF-4db6-BC91-CFC1A04E2469}\InprocServer32\2.0.0.0]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D8FE614D-4851-4a72-998D-D1F2E750A050}\InprocServer32]
    "ThreadingModel"="Both"
    "Class"="Microsoft.CLRAdmin.CAbout"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D8FE614D-4851-4a72-998D-D1F2E750A050}\InprocServer32\2.0.0.0]

The related ones I found in my own registry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{18BA7139-D98B-43C2-94DA-2604E34E175D}\InprocServer32]@="C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v1.0.3705\\mscormmc.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Both"
    "Assembly"="mscorcfg, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{18BA7139-D98B-43C2-94DA-2604E34E175D}\InprocServer32\1.0.3300.0]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9F6932F1-4A16-49D0-9CCA-0DCC977C41AA}\InprocServer32]@="C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v1.0.3705\\mscormmc.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Both"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9F6932F1-4A16-49D0-9CCA-0DCC977C41AA}\InprocServer32\1.0.3300.0]

Now for these 2 last ones refered by the author:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\{A22B5BA1-D8CF-4db6-BC91-CFC1A04E2469}]
    "About"="{D8FE614D-4851-4a72-998D-D1F2E750A050}"
    "NameString"=".NET Framework 2.0 Configuration"
    "NameStringIndirect"="@C:\\Utils\\NetFW20Utils\\mscormmc.dll,-30"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\{A22B5BA1-D8CF-4db6-BC91-CFC1A04E2469}\StandAlone]
    @=""

I couldn't find any equivalent on my machine...  Could this be the explanation to my problem?  If so, I would expect to create the following key values:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\{18BA7139-D98B-43C2-94DA-2604E34E175D}]
    "About"="{9F6932F1-4A16-49D0-9CCA-0DCC977C41AA}"
    "NameStringIndirect"="@C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v1.0.3705\\mscormmc.dll,-30"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\{18BA7139-D98B-43C2-94DA-2604E34E175D}\StandAlone]
    @=""

Is my understanding ok or should we look for another track?

Stéphane

Monday, October 26, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Hi again,

Today, I created the new registry keys following last night analysis.  I created the following ".reg" file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\{18BA7139-D98B-43C2-94DA-2604E34E175D}]
        "About"="{9F6932F1-4A16-49D0-9CCA-0DCC977C41AA}"
        "NameStringIndirect"="@C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v1.0.3705\\mscormmc.dll,-30"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\{18BA7139-D98B-43C2-94DA-2604E34E175D}\StandAlone]
        @=""

and imported it's content from registry (regedit) using import menu option which succeeded without any error.

I then restarted laptop.  Again...

Once startup process completed, from within VISTA, I repeated same sequence as before.  I clicked on VISTA startup menu item "Windows SDK" then chose "Cmd Shell".  From command shell, I typed "mscorcfg.msc".  I got the ".NET Framework 2.0 Configuration" window showing up but with again the following error message:

"MMC n'a pas pu créer le composant logiciel affichable"

Sounds that something is still missing...  Is it because of the version number 1.0.3705 (vs 2.0.50727 in article) of the framework or because of the version of dll components 1.0.3300.0 (vs 2.0.0.0 in article) that is causing that mess...  I don't have a clue. Everything else in my registry just coincide perfectly with article... 

I hope that someone can come up with a brilliant idea before I decide to uninstall everything...

Stéphane

Monday, October 26, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Hi everyone,

We're on Tuesday now and still no solution to this mess.  BTW, the error message I get should translate in English to the following:

"MMC couldn't create the snap-in"

Now about the patch I applied following recommendation of Lisa

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4377f86d-c913-4b5c-b87e-ef72e5b4e065&displaylang=en

One thing about this install that's still catching my attention is the fact that in Registry, I only find infos stating on a version 1.0...:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{18BA7139-D98B-43C2-94DA-2604E34E175D}\InprocServer32]
         "ThreadingModel"="Both"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{18BA7139-D98B-43C2-94DA-2604E34E175D}\InprocServer32\1.0.3300.0]
         "RuntimeVersion"="v1.0.3705

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9F6932F1-4A16-49D0-9CCA-0DCC977C41AA}\InprocServer32]
         "ThreadingModel"="Both"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9F6932F1-4A16-49D0-9CCA-0DCC977C41AA}\InprocServer32\1.0.3300.0]

Targetting .NET Framework 3.5, should I rather expect a version 2.xxx

As a recall, my setup is Vista Ultimate 32 bits SP2 with Visual Studio 2008 SP1 along with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Honestly, I suspect that the patch applied is maybe not targetting the right .NET Framework...  Or... Something else is missing in my setup...

I really have to make a move as I'm stucked with this problem since a week now...  Hope again to hear from someone!

Stéphane
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Hi Stephanie-
    I must apologize. While the mscorcfg.msc file is in the Vista SDK it appears that it is missing some necessary files and will not work. I was not here when the Vista SDK was released and I was unaware of this problem until I tried to recreate your issue on my personal machine. I've done some additional digging and have found that the tool also shipped in the .NET 2.0 Framework SDK and appears to work via that install. You can install this SDK via this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fe6f2099-b7b4-4f47-a244-c96d69c35dec&DisplayLang=en. The minimum install required would be the Tools and Debugger selection. Once the installation completes you should be able to go to Start >Microsoft .NET Framework SDK v2.0 > SDK Command Prompt and type mscorcfg.msc to invoke the tool.

Additionally it appears that a user has posted an alternative method to obtaining the tool outside of the SDK via this blog. Please note however that this is not a MS supported installation: http://technowise.blogspot.com/2009/03/net-framework-20-configuration-tool.html

Hope this helps
    Lisa
    Lisa
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for reply.  I again appreciate.  I understand that you're advising me to install .NET Framework 2.0 SDK.  Maybe a few questions:

1. As "SDK update from Windows VISTA" is still installed on my machine (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4377f86d-c913-4b5c-b87e-ef72e5b4e065&displaylang=en), do you recommend that I first uninstall this update before installing the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK?

2. Once .NET Framework 2.0 SDK is installed, if I uninstalled SDK update in point 1, should I then reinstall it or is it now useless?

3. For the "tool outside the SDK"  I was already aware of this tool (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2bc0cxhc(VS.80).aspx) and it is actually downloaded on my machine but didn't install it as I was keeping it as a last resort. 

Can you tell me if anyone could install it successfully on a VISTA SP2/VS2008 SP1 context?  

4. Maybe a few observations/questions for my understanding of all this.

When installing SDKs, can each of them use any machine resources apart disk space?  I mean, is anything, any process loaded in memory at startup?  My question is founded on the fact that my machine actually have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.  I read somewhere that .NET Framework 3.5 could manage any .NET Framework platforms (2.0 and up) without problem which makes me understand that I can develop applications targetting .NET Framework 2.0 and up and test any of them, whatever .NET platform is targetted, on my machine without problem.  Is my understanding still OK?

Now, if so and if I install .NET Framework 2.0 SDK on my machine, can I presume that it could also install .NET Framework 2.0 itself?  If so, again, I then presume it might be loaded at startup and use some more memory resources... maybe for nothing...

If my understanding of all this is still correct then my conclusion is that, if .NET Framework 2.0 gets installed along the SDK, loaded then at startup and using memory resources for nothing, I would rather look for the second solution which is the install of the single configuration tool (the second weblink proposed)...  

Your opinion?

Stéphane

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:49 AM
  • 1 I suggest you uninstall
    2 Since it does not work without installing other components, I don't suggest you install the vista update over 2.0 SDK
    3 Not sure, the link is part of SDK, not outside of SDk
    4 SDK tools do not run on startup.

Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Hi again Sheng,

Points 1 & 2: I thought that "SDK update from Windows VISTA" might be an update to .NET Framework 2.0 which doesn't seem to be.  What .NET Framework version is it related to?   Will the uninstall of "SDK update from Windows VISTA" leave any remanents on disk?  Any "manual" operations to do afterwards for a complete clean-up?

Point 3: I exchanged a few e-mails with Sudeep Srivastava on this package and we couldn't conclude as if install would succeed or not on VISTA... which justifies my question.  I thought that because I found the link from MSDN webpage, someone on the team could have tested it.

"the  setup I send you will work on framework 2.0 and I am not sure about framework v3.5"

Point 4: I knew that SDK were not loaded at startup.  My question was mainly founded on the fact that I must install something related this time with .NET Framework 2.0 which functionnalities I'm not sure will all be found or not within .NET Framework 3.5...

So, considering that on my machine I only have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed, will installing .NET Framework 2.0 SDK install the .NET Framework 2.0 as well or not?  I don't think so... If not, then considering that .NET Framework 2.0 is a requirement to this install, will I be able to install the SDK anyway?

Thanks for helping,

Stéphane 

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Hi Stephanie-
    You have the 3.5 SP1 framework on your machine so you should be fine since that version of the framework can run tools designed on previous versions of the framework, i.e. 2.0.

Please go to Control Panel and unistall the entry for Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit for Windows Vista Update (6000.16384.10) to remove the Vista SDK that I had previously advised you to install.

You should then be able to install the .NET 2.0 SDK without issues as it will run with the components in teh 3.5 SP1 framework.

Thanks
    Lisa
    Lisa
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for follow-up.  I've uninstalled the SDK update for Vista that completed successfully.  No more trace of it.  Only one warning I got during uninstall process concerning the "Debugging Tools for Windows" but I do understand it could not be removed or else as it is actually also part of Windows SDK 7.0 (which is installed on my machine) and has also been updated by last Windows Update to version 6.11.1.404.

I will now proceed with install of .NET 2.0 SDK as recommended.  I've made a backup of my machine anyway...  ;)  I will install just the tools and debugger section as recommended.

Finally, I presume that tools of other SDKs already installed on my machine that are common with .NET 2.0 SDK (ex: Service Trace Viewer, Service Configuration Editor, WinDiff, etc.) won't be overwritten/downversioned by this install.  Isn't it?  My remark is founded on the message I got while uninstalling SDK update for Vista today...

Thanks again helping,

Stéphane
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Hi Stephanie-
    Nothing you currently have on your machine should be affected by the installation of the .NET 2.0 SDK. Keep me posted on how it goes. I'm hoping this gets you back on track with the mscorcfg.msc tool.

Thanks
    Lisa
    Lisa
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

I started setup.exe and, after selecting what to install, I had to choose the directory where to install it.  On minor question.

Is everything installed directly under "c:\program files\microsoft.net\sdk\", when accepting this default, or will setup install everything a "subdirectory level" under it (in "c:\program files\microsoft.net\sdk\v2.0\" as an example)?

My question is founded on the fact that I would maybe like to move this install under another directory "c:\program files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\" where I actually have all my other SDKs, in fact in 3 subdirectories: v5.0, v6.0A and v7.0. 

If I choose another directory where to install, I presume it shouldn't cause any harm, break any precious links or else.  Am I right?

Finally, if I can move this install with the other SDKs and if I want to keep the same subdirectory "version logic" (v5.0, v6.0A, v7.0, v???),  what would be the right version number for the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK in that case? 

Stéphane
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Hi Stephanie-
    When I installed this SDK I chose the default install location and it installed to disk under [Program Files]\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0 and under that there were subfolders for the diferent installed parts. If you would like to change the default install to [Program Files]\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v2.0 I don't think there would be any issues as I don't believe a 2.0 Windows SDK exists. A bit of history is that the Platform, i.e. .NET and Windows SDKs were merged awhile back. They used to be seperate and the .NET 2.0 SDK actually shipped with Visual Studio 2005. Regardless you should be fine choosing a custom install directory. Everything will function accordingly.

Thanks
    Lisa
    Lisa
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Hi Stéphane

I had the same problem as yours and I have successfully installed the .NET Framework Configuration Tool.

I don't know if you have already resolved it but here is the link I found that helped me.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2bc0cxhc.aspx

Scroll down to the last bit under Community Content section and you will find the following link to the installer.

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog|_Tools/configwizard.zip

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Raul
    • Proposed as answer by Raul O Reveche Sunday, November 01, 2009 6:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stéphane B. _ Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:28 PM
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 6:53 AM
  • Hi Raul,

Thanks for reply.  I do appreciate.  On my reply of October 28th 4h49 am, in point 3, I also made mention of this install package I found but at following address (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2bc0cxhc(VS.80).aspx).   Seems to be the same, isn't it?

My only concern with this package is that I couldn't confirm if it could be installed on a "VISTA Ultimate 32 bits SP2"/"VS2008 SP1" setup without problem.  On wich platform did you succeed?

Along with the solution I already have on this thread from Lisa, I'm also waiting to hear back from someone who also successfully made a package that install this only mscorcfg.msc tool and kindly offered me to test it against VISTA.   His original thread is at following address (http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/01/23/516671.aspx?%C2%A0).

My approach is that I would favor a tool that is capable of installing the mscorcfg.msc tool alone without any extras but if it can't be done, especially on VISTA, I will then go with Lisa's solution. 

I would appreciate Raul if you could get back with some more details of your install.  One other important detail, did you have chance to test if your package could be uninstalled without leaving any remains on disk or else?  This issue is quite important I think.

Thanks for helping,

Stéphane

Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Here is the final status.  As I didn't want to install any extras I don't need for this moment, I decided to keep the full ".NET Framework 2.0 SDK" install aside and install the tool found at following address: http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog%7C_Tools/configwizard.zip?sa=620259311 which I got from following article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2bc0cxhc(VS.80).aspx.

Again my setup is VISTA SP2 and have VS2008 SP1 along with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.  Package installed without any problem and also created a shortcut in "administrative tools".  The version reported for the configuration tool is 2.0.50727.42.  Everything seems to be installed under "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727".

I think I should have the really last version of the configuration tool.  If someone think there is a more recent one out there please let me know.

Stéphane
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 6:41 PM
  • hi

found a tool @"http://brandonpotter.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/code-access-security-policy-caspol-exe-gui-utility"

no installation needed. just extract and run.

i am using VS2008 on W7-Pro

Jerome Nicholas

Monday, September 20, 2010 8:46 PM