none
bfe.dll not starting

Question

• I use my PC's internet connection sharing so i'll have internet on my PS3. Long story short... first NLASVC.dll was messed up, I used a shadow copy and fixed it, but now my ICS isn't working, well it's dependant on the service Base Filtering Engine(BFE). When I try to go into servies and manually start it, I am getting error 5, access is denied. I tried raised CMD.exe and starting it, nothing. The error I was getting is Access denied. If anyone could help me out or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks for the service, and I can post any logs or whatever. I already know a restore would probably fix my problem, but it's not really an option.

• Moved by Bob_BaoMVP Monday, July 11, 2011 11:11 AM (From:Application Compatibility for Windows Development)
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Click OK to apply the configuration, restart the computer and check the result.

If the issue persists, please contact Windows Vista forum to get professional support.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:06 AM

All replies

• This forum is a software development compatibility forum, so I will move it to the Technet forums.

By the way, do you run your CMD.exe as administrator? And what is your system Win 7 or others? If it is possiblem more logs can help us to check this issue easily.

One related thread may help you on it: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/f2e08bcf-d517-40a7-9c69-8cacc2fa5330

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 11, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I didn;t realize I had posted in the wrong section, and thanks for moving. I am running vista ultimate 64. Yes, I am running CMd as Admin. I have tried various methods to give myself access to the file, takeown bfe.dll \g etc....... I even booted from windows disc, used command prompt and copied over the bfe.dll file on the disc, over to my system32 dir. still nothing. I keep my syatem up to date and fairly clean, I've ran scans for all virus,spyware, malware, using SAS, Mbam, and AVG, nothing detected. I've figured it was an error in my registry but I have no idea what to look for, of what the regedit should look like. concerning BFE.dll. Thanks for the link to the other thread, but I've already read it. It dind't help. I know BFE has to be started in order to run windows FW, and I WAS using Comodo internet security, so I thought maybe Comodo was denying me access, but I uninstalled Comodo and I of course couldn't turn on windows FW without BFE. Is there any way to... Change internet connection sharing so it is not dependant on BFE? What's the next staps I should take? Thanks again for the incedible service.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Hi,

Here is Windows 7 forum and I notice you are running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I think it is better to ask the issue in the following forum for better support.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistanetworking/threads

Meanwhile, the issue is caused by incorrect permission. Please take the ownership of the following registry for testing.

1. Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE]

2. Right click BFE and choose Export, save the key to desktop for backup.

3. Right click BFE and choose Permissions…, make sure SYSTEM, Administrators, Users(your account) are in the list with full control.

4. Click Advanced button, On Permissions tab, select the option for Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object.

5. After changing, please restart the computer to restart the service.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:31 AM
  • OK, I followed your instructions and after I clicked the box that said.... Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object., Then I clicked apply, I got a popup that said      ----      OWNER ----   Registry editor could not set security in the key currently selected.-------------One more thing, USER(myself), Admin, and System all have full control, creator owner has special permissions. What should I try next? Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

Click OK to apply the configuration, restart the computer and check the result.

If the issue persists, please contact Windows Vista forum to get professional support.

Best Regards,

Niki

Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:06 AM