none
Visioneer 8900 Scanner Driver

Question

• Have been unable to have Vista recognizeXP driver for Visioneer 8900 Scanner.  Driver is version 3.0 using PaperPort 7.0.  The drivers available at Visioneer are not compatible either.  Anyone have success installing the above scanner? 

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 1:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Most of the Drivers are issued by the Manufacturer. It appears that Visioneer 8900 has reach the "End of Life" , which means the manufacturer may not work on the driver for Vista 

http://support.visioneer.com/products/home/EOL/8900/default.asp

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft AppCompat

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 4:35 PM
  • Visioneer is not going to release any Vista drivers for this scanner, nor dozens of others of their models.  Apparently their marketing department feels it will be good for sales, assuming that by crippling otherwise working scanners, their customers will rush to buy another Visioneer model.

Not me.  Because of this, I'll never buy another Visioneer product.

Their support page offers clues to support this decision:  No email support, and the only phone number for support for my scanner is a 900 number so they can try and make a few more bucks off me.
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 7:28 PM
  • Hello eljefe77,

You might also want to try posting your question in the TechNet forums here http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=714&SiteID=17 as the MSDN forums are geared more towards developers. Have you also tried using the TWAIN32 driver to see if you can get basic functionality working?

Thanks!

Matthew Braun

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem with my Visioneer OneTouch 8100 when I installed RC1 a couple months ago and gave up on it for a while. I just booted back to Vista - the same RC1 install - and from Device Manager, did an Update Driver- "search for updated driver" on this "!"ed-out device, and sure enough, it found an updated driver that now works. Driver provider: Visioneer; Driver date: 8/28/2001; Driver version 3.0.0.0; signed by "microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher". I don't remember the details of the non-working driver, but at any rate, you might try a driver search now (presumably it hit Windows Update rather than magically finding a working driver on my PC) and maybe your 8900 has a fixed driver too. (or if not, might in the near future)

I don't use paperport, but their tray app loads and I was able to use the copy/print button on the scanner to get a copy to spit out of my printer without problem. Also, the scan command in (Windows) Paint works.

Good luck!

-Roger

Sunday, December 03, 2006 5:55 AM
  • Thank you all for your kind replies.  I have since given up trying to use Vista Beta and have gone back to a clean install of WinXP.  Vista presented too many incompatabilities with my existing software and hardware.  Quess I will have to use XP until I totally upgrade my system.  Eventually all of us will have to dance to the new tune, I quess.
    Sunday, December 03, 2006 9:05 PM
  • I realize this is late, but for those searching the web for an answer, I have at least a partial solution.

I found the driver for the new Visioneer 9420 will run the 8900. 

Uninstall the 8900 files, if you have them installed.

Download the .MSI file for the 9420 from the Visioneer site.  Run it to put OneTouch 4.0 and the drivers on your computer.  Driver files are put into a new directory, "C:\Program Files\Visioneer\OneTouch 4.0\9420 Driver" or similar; I forced the "visioneer" directory name over a longer one proposed by the installer.

Find your 8900 driver files.  Mine are in "C:\Windows\twain_32\vizscan\8XXX".  If you can't find them, reinstall the driver and use the "control panel/system/device manager" routines to show you where yours are.

There is one file in common with both the 9420 driver files and the 8900:  that's "rtscan.dll".  I renamed  it "oldrtscan.dll", just incase, then copied ALL the files from "C:\Program Files\Visioneer\OneTouch 4.0\9420 Driver" into "C:\Windows\twain_32\vizscan\8XXX".  I suspect I only needed rtscan.dll, but didn't want to find out that badly.

Now just turn on your scanner; your computer should detect it.  Go into device manager and make sure it found the correct driver; the "8900".  My computer also has an even older one which it could also find and install, in which case you'll have to have it search the computer for the newer one.

I have only used it with Corel Paint Shop Pro X to import TWAIN images.  Works fine.  No reason it shouldn't work for other software as well.  Good luck!
    Friday, October 19, 2007 7:04 AM
  • Guess I missed something because I could not get it to work.

I am trying to install my 8900/8920 Visioneer scanner into a HP computer with Vista.

Went to Visioneer and downloaded the driver files for a 9420.

Have not installed the older drives, thus didn't have to remove them.

The computer tries to locate a driver unsuccessfully.  I even copied the rtscan.dll file a floppy and tried to install that without success.

I have the new PaperPort 11 installed successfully.

Any ideas?????

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:30 PM
  • Hello:

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you.  I just bought this new computer from Dell with AMD and Windows Vista.  I followed your directions per line to the exact letter.  Then I installed my Scansoft Paperport Deluxe 7 software from the CD that I have.  Disabled the wise update feature which was in conflict, and now my Visioneer One Touch 8900 USB Scanner is working like a C H A M P!!!  Thank you for saving me a bunch of money and a lot of headaches with this fix.  Just want you to know that by following your directions to the exact book, that the driver for the new Visioneer 9420 does run the Visioneer One Touch 8900 based on your directions.  I am glad that we have people like you out there to point people like me in the right direction.  Thank you again so very much.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Hi dg01,

I just got a new PC with Vista on it, and attached my Visioneer 8900 to it.  I tried following the directions from RetiredGary, but I could not get the scanner to work either.

I tried various things, and finally got it working.  I "believe" what finally worked for me was first downloading and installing the Windows 2000/XP driver for the 8900 from the Visioneer website.  This installed the Visioneer software on my PC, including the startup program that looks for the scanner.

While this got my PC to recognize the 8900, it still couldn't use it because of the old driver.  I then followed RetiredGary's advice of copying in all the files for the 9420 into the C:\Windows\twain_32\vizscan\8XXX directory.

The next time I booted my machine, Vista recognized the driver and the light on my 8900 went from orange to green.  I've only scanned a few items, but it appears to be working fine.

Thanks to RetiredGary for finding this solution and saving me from a new hardware purchase!

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:00 PM
  • it seems there are 2 different drivers for 2 models of 9420. Downloaded one and stops at installation...

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:55 AM
  • There is also a choice for installation betwwen windows vista 32 and 64 bit, be sure to pick the right driver for your version of windows vista. Next you will have to choose between the driver for Part Number 85-0240-x00 (this one worked for me) and Part Number 85-0257-x00 (I initially tried this one and it didn't work). After being installed and rebooting I still get a windows prompt regarding device needs to install drivers which I ignore. My 8900 scanner works perfectly on Windows Vista!
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:41 PM
  • This looks like great info. I've been using my 8920 as a doorstop ever since I went to Vista. 

I have some questions regarding this procedure:

1) Can I install the drivers for the 8900 as recommended, they are not Vista and will Vista accept the installation?

2) When "Retired Gary" mentioned changing the name of the rtscan.dll file to "old", which folder was he referencing, the 8900 folder or the 9420 folder? I am       assuming the old (8900) folder.

3) I assume this procedure does not install the Paper Port Console. Is it a no-no to install that?
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:24 PM
  • I followed your directions to get my 8900 working on 64bit win7 and it works perfectly. The only additional step I needed was installing software for Visioneer 9420M in control panel under "Imaging Devices". Thank you!! Marc
    Sunday, October 07, 2012 2:56 PM