none
Side by Side Error

Question

• When i run an application in Vista OS which was compiled in Visual Studio 2005 / WinXP , it is getting the following error:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail"

What is a recommended procedure to fix it?

In WinXP or Win2000/ Visual Studio 6, we had VCRedist/ VBRedist which would fix this problem. is there anything available to make my app compatible with Vista OS?    so that proper files are copied to WinSXS folder in C:\Windows.

Regards,

RKM.

Monday, September 04, 2006 11:07 AM

Answers

•  yea.. in fact u can try.. I was trying to install Fitnesse Test Automation tool.  The same is available for download at Fitnesse.org. The dot net version does work fine, the CPP test app failed. Thats one app which behaves similar to the one i am having. I cant give u my app, i hope u know y. 

I have not tried that with Vista RC1 yet. Was wondering why Microsoft denied me permission on my folder in my system.

RKM

Friday, September 29, 2006 5:10 PM

All replies

• I had this same error when trying to use the firestb app..  I am not sure how it got fixed, but strangely enough, I booted up today and it worked..
    Tuesday, September 05, 2006 1:33 AM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for replying.

The side by side error is coming for applications in debug build. If it is a release build, only the redist is enough. But ironically i have only the Debug version which works fine and release mode makes it to crash.

It is not a prob with initialization and other stuff in the code, i checked that.

In ur case, may be installing Microsoft development application like Visual Studio 2005 or another application which installs a redist etc might have done the trick.

Regards,

RKM.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:58 AM
  • What is the error in the eventlog, Rosh?

Could you also let me know what version of Vista this is?

Thank you

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:08 PM
  • Hi Maarten,

The error i got in eventlog is saying I have got side by side error due to a conflict in dll. Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT version 8.0.50608.0 is missing. But I am having 8.0.50727.42 version in WinSxs. It seems that the 'Policies' folder itself is missing where it is mentioned to map the same.

I was trying to create the Policies folder when it threw this error. 'The current logged on user does not have ownership privileges on the file (or Folder) "c:\ windows\winsxs". There was only one user in that machine, which is the Admin user.

I finally created the folder 'Policies' under WinSxs (i wont mention how since i dont want Microsoft to block that loop hole too :) ) but the application failed to execute.

I was using the beta version of Vista. I have not yet tried the same in RC1 which Microsoft had recently released. Have u got any idea whether this issue is fixed?

Another interesting fact is that evenif the machine where i compile this dll is not having any trace of 50608 version, it is still searching for it. Wonder where it is getting this info.

Rosh K. M.

(The alert mechanism to messenger&hotmail is a bit slow to reach me.)

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:11 AM
  • Rosh,

Are you using a manifest or embedded manifest in your app?

Example:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT" version="8.0.50608.0" processor
    </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>
    </assembly>

This could explain where its picking it up from even when the machine has no trace of the 8.0.50608.0 build.

Thanks,
    Louis Shanks

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:37 PM
  • Hi Louis, thanks for replying... No i am not using manifest at present. I reverted back everything. This is what i did.

Initially i tried with a bare exe. It was not working.

So i copied Manifest files in the current directory. It was not working. 

Then i embedded Manifest in the exe and tried. Not Working.

Then i took the bare exe and copied VC dlls ( mscvrt80x.dlls ) in a sub folder. I forgot the name, something like 'Manifest'. Somewhere i read that first Windows will search for these dlls in that folder in current directory, if not found, it will take the same from WinSxs folder and select a suitable one. That was also not working.

Rosh k. Mathews.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:42 AM
  • Rosh is this app something I can download from your website and test against? Do you get the same problem on other Vista builds?

Thanks,
    Louis Shanks

Microsoft AppCompat

Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:25 PM
  •  yea.. in fact u can try.. I was trying to install Fitnesse Test Automation tool.  The same is available for download at Fitnesse.org. The dot net version does work fine, the CPP test app failed. Thats one app which behaves similar to the one i am having. I cant give u my app, i hope u know y. 

I have not tried that with Vista RC1 yet. Was wondering why Microsoft denied me permission on my folder in my system.

RKM

Friday, September 29, 2006 5:10 PM
  • resolving post due to another post with the same issue.

Monday, October 16, 2006 9:03 PM
    • Edited by Rosh K Mathews Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:30 AM link was broken
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 7:08 AM