none
The requested operation requires elevation.

Question

• I am connected to wireless network in my city. The problem is that when I want to connect to city wireless I need to add a route in Command prompt. In XP it works fine, but when I type this in Vista:

route -p add 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 10.46.2.1

I recive this message:

The requested operation requires elevation.

I realy need to do that, otherwise I can't access any page on wireless except 10.46.2.*.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:06 PM

Answers

• Try to run the Command Prompt with elevated privileges before running the "route" command. Simply right-click the "Command Prompt" and choose to "Run as Administrator". That will initiate the UAC prompt for elevated privileges. If you are a member of the local administrator-group you should simply have to select continue, otherwise you need to enter the administrative password.

Regards

Johan Lindfors
    Microsoft AB

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:52 PM

All replies

• Try to run the Command Prompt with elevated privileges before running the "route" command. Simply right-click the "Command Prompt" and choose to "Run as Administrator". That will initiate the UAC prompt for elevated privileges. If you are a member of the local administrator-group you should simply have to select continue, otherwise you need to enter the administrative password.

Regards

Johan Lindfors
    Microsoft AB

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:52 PM
  • What an easy solution, thank you Johan!
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:09 PM
  • If I run cmd from the Run command, the command promt is not elevated.
    Is it possible to Always elevate cmd?
    I tryed properties but its not possible...
    • Proposed as answer by sadrul Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:24 AM
    Monday, June 19, 2006 5:24 PM
  • When I tried to add a persistent route using the following (in elevated mode):

route -p ADD 192.168.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.50

The route is added and I get an OK! prompt, but is not persistent, nor is it listed as a persistent route on the route print screen,  can anyone tell me why?

BTW, my email addy is: paul(at)mrpix(dot)co(dot)uk .. well you know what I mean, if anyone has any ideas how to make this persistent, I would be grateful.

MrPix

Friday, June 23, 2006 6:11 PM
  • In theory, it should be possible from the command prompt, try using the runas command (type runas /? in cmd for all of the options). You can use the following line to run the cmd shell as Administrator using the run window:

runas /user:administrator cmd

So far, I can get the runas to work, but I'm running into an error stating that access is denied. Either I'm fatfingering the password, or there is some policy setting I need to tweak. I'll let you know if I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Monday, June 26, 2006 3:40 AM
  •  Deven Kampenhout wrote:

In theory, it should be possible from the command prompt, try using the runas command (type runas /? in cmd for all of the options). You can use the following line to run the cmd shell as Administrator using the run window:

runas /user:administrator cmd

So far, I can get the runas to work, but I'm running into an error stating that access is denied. Either I'm fatfingering the password, or there is some policy setting I need to tweak. I'll let you know if I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

As a followup, I was able to get this to work fine if I used the domain admin account or a local or domain user account that is assigned to the local administrators group. For some reason however, if I try to specify administrator directly (as shown in the snippet above), it doesn't work. Here is a snippet of what worked:

runas /user:machinename\username cmd

(replace machinename and username as appropriate)

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:18 AM
  • Not sure if you figured this out yet, but in order for me to use "runas /user:administrator cmd" i needed to enable the administrator account in the Local Users and Groups snapin, It was apparently disabled by default on my installation if Vista build 5384.
    Thursday, July 06, 2006 6:43 PM
  • I don't think so.
    Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:06 AM
  • when I right click on the command prompt, it does not show me this option.

if i do "runas /showtrustlevels" it says the only levels available on this computer basic.

I am running Vista Premium, RC1, fully licensed, with one account on the local computer, that is an administrator account.

why don't I see an option for elevated privledges?

Friday, October 27, 2006 3:03 AM
  • AFAIK runas.exe doesn't do elevation.

What options do you have when you right click on a command prompt shortcut?  Not having "Run as administrator" is a little worrisome.

Friday, October 27, 2006 7:01 PM
  • Ok, this clarifies things :)

The early post said "Simply right-click the "Command Prompt" " - which to me meant click on the title bar of the active command prompt window, which did nothing.  But you were more specific and said to right click the 'command prompt shortcut", which I found, and yes, this did have the option for "run as administrator".

Thanks!

Mike

Friday, October 27, 2006 11:27 PM
  • I have a mesh style site-to-site VPN network, and I use classless static routes (Option 249) in DHCP.  Apparently, these routes are not getting set on Vista clients because the computer wont allow the command unless set manually.  We need to use this feature in order for vpn user to be able to access our entire network.  Are there any work arounds?

Thanks!

Andrew

Monday, November 27, 2006 6:09 PM
  • I am also having this problem.

Although the persistant routes I've put in place are not showing on *route print*... are they actually there? Will they dissapear on a restart?

Richard.

Friday, February 16, 2007 10:08 AM
  • Did you ever get a fix for this?  I am having the same issue.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:31 AM
  • Put -p at the end of route command MrPix.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 12:08 AM
  • What you can do is create a shortcut on your desktop from the "command prompt" the "all programs,Accessories". If you right click on the shortcut and get the properties, go to the "Shortcut" tab and click on the "Advanced" button. In here is a tick box so that when you use the command prompt from this shortcut it will always "run as Administrator".

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:16 AM
  • I had this same problem and your fix worked great.  Thanks.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Thanks Johan. I was going crazy connecting to the wireless router with my new laptop which has Vista Business. This really helped. Wonder why it has to be this way though in Vista?

Monday, August 06, 2007 4:17 PM
  • Does anyone have a solution to this insanity? The -p will result in persistent route; I, however need to have it set on every boot.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:32 PM
  • Mr.Johan

I really greatful,it worked ,I was so much relived with solution as I was getting the same msg when I was installing office 2003 in vista though being having office 2007.

Monday, September 03, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Johan,

I reviewed your response to another users issue related to the error "The requested operation requires elevation"  I am basically have the same issue using the "route" command, however in my case the user already has admin rights and still recieves this error.

What would cause this?

To give you some background our desktops are set to Static IP in a Windows 2003 domain network. Our default gateway gets users Internet, network, and email access, however we have another router on the network design for access to the city mainframe network.  

We recently upgraded from XP to Vista. XP handled the two gateway routers without issue. Basically users could be on the Internet and the police mainframe system at the same by listing both routers as gateways, however Vista is not allowing that to happen. That is what I wanted to try the route command.

Thank you.

Gary

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 2:55 PM
  • Just tried to load office 2003 and got the same message.  I went to the command prompt and changed to administrator.  I tried again and got same message.  I could use some more detail.  I see from another reply that they got it to work but I do not know how. 

Sunday, October 07, 2007 1:51 AM
  • I was trying to install MS 03 but couldn't. I tried it for 5 days. It kept telling me operation requires elevation. It wouldn't let me do it. I followed your instructions and it was successful. Thank you.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 8:06 PM
  • i'm trying to install MS 2003 on my computer and keep getting The requested operation needs elevation.  By reading your message looks like you got it to work.  How can I get mine to work.  HELP!  Thanks.

Friday, November 02, 2007 4:26 AM
  •  

Simply right-click the "Command Prompt" and choose to "Run as Administrator, does not work as it will not let you run the cmd as an admin the box is grayed out.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:10 PM
  •  

i followed the simple rules as in login to the comand promt as a administrator to get elevated priviledges. but when installing the office CD the same error posted up "the request operation requires elevation". Am i doing something Wrong? Did i forget SOmething? DO i have to run the Office Cd from the command Prompt?if so how do i do it? Or do I just have to buy a new Office Program? Please need all the help I need! Anybody!
    Monday, January 28, 2008 6:55 PM
  • What is the fix for this? What did you do about this problem?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:06 AM
  • I am trying to install office 2003 on gateway laptop with vista which a trial version of office 2007 and I get a "requested operation requires elevation" message. I was able to choose "run as administrator" from command prompt, properties. However I continue to get the same message on installing office 2003. What was the solution?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:13 AM
  • Hi Guys,

To fix thie problem you need to know the root of the problem and the root is any admin related work requires admin to logged in.

It will not work if you are not logged in as administrator. Please login using your administrator account right click there you will see there "Run as Administrator". In fact if your right click over any icon or program you will see it if you are logged in as Administrator.

Once I needed to fix IIS got same error and the solutions was very simple I just right click over the Command Prompt Icon got "Run as Administrator".

I clicked and it worked.

If you want I will be happy to send you screenshot my emailid is jitku@hotmail.com

Thanx & regards,

Jitendra Kumar

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Yes very helpful. Too bad the error mesage is so cryptic.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:39 PM
  • thx for the solution

Monday, September 01, 2008 9:06 AM
  • This helped me...thanks...it also solved elevation problem..cheers

Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Many thanks!  This worked... I'm trying to tweak broadband settings and couldn't get the run to change.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Shucks!  I thought this had worked... I'm trying to tweak broadband settings and couldn't get the run to change.  It still says "needs elevation"  Should I reboot, I wonder to run as administrator?

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:14 PM
  • As local and domain admin in Vista AND windows 7 user cannot add routes in the command line, 'requires elevation'. Also cannot enable always run as admin in properties, despite full local and domain admin privilages. Essentially making the local admin group fairly worthless. Best way round is command prompt on desktop or quick links and right click run as. Seems silly that local admin group members dont get full local admin.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 10:00 AM
  • Brilliant! Problem solved immediately. Thanks!
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Jitendra-

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and I was receiving the same error upon trying to install Office 2003 "requested operation requires elevation". By "right-clicking" on the .exe autorun file and selecting  "Run as Administrator" solved the problem immediately.

Thank you so much for your post.

Steven Gran
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:47 PM
  • OMG, Thank you stevengran. I tried to right click command prompt and "run as administrator" to no avail, however, when I right clicked the autorun file in Office 2003 it worked! Thank you so much! *Virtual smooch and hugs*
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Hold down the <SHIFT> key while right clicking 
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:56 PM
  • thank! i'm from VIET NAM
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Here's a better way -

Change the user to be part of the administrative group if it's not already

Right click My Computer, Manage, Local Users and Groups, Users, Select username, Member of tab, add button, Administrators, OK

Then

Start, Control Panel,  User accounts and Family Safety, User accounts, Change user account control settings, put the slider to the bottom and OK

No more 'are you sure', 'do you want to run' or elevated priviledge nonsense.

Simples!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:59 PM
  • I'm having the 'requires elevation' issue, too.  When trying to open an existing Document, either SPREADSHEET or TEXT in OPENOFFICE 3.3 , I get the error msg. Recently I upgraded from Windows VISTA to Windows 7, so I thought that might be the problem. I operate as ADMINISTRATOR, and taking advice from above, I lowered my control to the bottom, but that still won't let me open an existing doc.  I can create a new one just fine... I just can't open an existing doc. Is it besause I have not Restarted since making these changes to user controls? 
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Why cant i open my files and some of my emails that my friends send to me? All i get is operation requires elevatin when i click on OPEN..... I have heard alot of problems with vista... So is it vista or is it something very simple to fix. I cant even send my resumes on to job sites.... Please help me with this
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 12:00 AM
  • Thank you Johan.

I had same issue and was able to resolve.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Thanks for the simple solution. I was facing the same problem to run route commands through bat file, which has resolved now.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Thanks for the simple solution. I was getting the same problem to run route commands through bat file; which hhas resolved now.
    • Proposed as answer by Saniya82 Monday, April 23, 2012 11:49 AM
    • Edited by Saniya82 Monday, April 23, 2012 11:49 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Thank you so much my computer was running into the same problem and I fixed it using your method by using   runas /user:administrator cmd   from the command prompt window  and it worked I really thank u guys for ur help I really appreciate it.

yours

• Edited by salsoum Tuesday, April 02, 2013 12:17 AM
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 12:15 AM
  • I right clicked command prompt and got no such choice to run as administrator.
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:04 AM
  • I right clicked command prompt and got no such choice to run as administrator.

Welcome to the Answers forums; there you can get help with starting Win7 programs, and other non-development issues.

-- pa

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:13 PM