none
WER with Thawte authenticode signed app

Question

• Is it possible to:

- buy the 99$ Verisign ID just to establish a Winqual Account

- continue using my Thawte Authenticode to sign my applications

- using WER without having to buy again a Verisign Authenticode (400$)

It is not clear on how the WER file mapping works. I thought it uses the authenticode of the signed file to match the winqual account. Therefore do I have to use the same verisign authenticode for signing my app and for establishing the winqual account?

On top of that, it's a shame it is not possible to create a winqual account using a Thawte authenticode.

It seems with Vista, companies like Verisign will earn lot of money without having to do anything. I would be very angry if I have to buy AGAIN a Verisign authenticode. Thawte is 2 times cheaper.

Monday, December 18, 2006 10:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is my understanding and I will confirm it. But I want to give you a quick answer. If someone else knows otherwise please correct my understanding.

You could choose to use a different cert. for signing your app. However when you verrisign cert expires so will your winqual account.  For this reason you will want to keep your verisign cert valid by renewing it. 

Again I will confirm this.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2006 4:17 PM
  • Hi Oliver --

Did you confirm this?

Monday, February 19, 2007 8:50 PM
  • I looked into this for Oliver. I'm not involved with setting policies but there are two options for associating a Winqual member ship

I believe your cost is $99 unless you a working with hardware, please evaluate the following links.

https://winqual.microsoft.com/Help/why_is_a_digital_certificate_required_for_winqual_membership.htm

https://winqual.microsoft.com/Help/Default.htm#obtaining_a_verisign_class_3_digital_id.htm

Here's the innovate on Vista link and contact info if you want to request or discuss other options you might wish to have

http://microsoft.mrmpslc.com/InnovateOnWindowsVista/Default.aspx?LangType=1033

http://microsoft.mrmpslc.com/InnovateOnWindowsVista/ContactUs.aspx

Thanks

Monday, February 19, 2007 10:57 PM
  • Hello,

We have similar confusion here.  

We used Comodo code signing certificate to sign all our applications.  Now comes the VeriSign ID for vista logo test as well as WER (Test Case 32).  I were confirmed from microsoft that we can go with the $99 certificate which only contains a company account.  However, when I put the order, VeriSign website shows that $99 certificate will give us

A black and white logo says "Works with Microsoft Vista"

and $399 certificate will show

A colored logo titled "Certified for Microsoft Vista".   

Is that true when user submit for vista certificate, they got different logo (I assume it will appear with our application in certain usage stage which user will see) just because of different VeriSign certificate?    If this is true, I will feel very disappointed on the whole logo certificate test issue.  

Please clarify.   Looks like I'm not the only one has question mark. Thanks!

haiying

Monday, June 11, 2007 2:37 PM
  • I bought the $99 cert from VeriSign to sign up with WinQual and I use a Thawte certificate for signing code.  Verisign is just trying to encourage you to buy their full code signing certificate.  You do have to sign your code to be certified for Vista but, you don't have to use a Verisign certificate.

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:02 PM
  • A Verisign "basic" certificate is required for winqual access.

To sign your application you an

1. Use a different certificate

2. You can use the "enhanced" verisign certificate (which also gives you winqual access).

The actual certificate is not directly related to if you are Certified or Works as far as I know. The requirements of Certified are based on to submitting your software to a testing authority and passing 32 test cases. Works with doesn't require that. Also Works doesn't require winqual access and doesn't require passing 32 test cases and submitting to a testing authority.

Monday, June 11, 2007 11:08 PM
  • Thanks a lot.  This is very helpful.

So I assume whoever submit for "certified for windows vista logo test" will be treated equally. 

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:12 PM
  • I have no exact idea what you mean but if you are asking are submission treated equally the answer is "of course, yes". If you are referring to "no matter what cert you have, the answer is "As long as it is a valid cert that is acceptable by MS they are all treated the same". See the list of acceptable certs.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:13 PM