none
"Unable to save permission changes" encountered during deleting registry items in Windows 7

Question

• Hi, any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm facing an error when modifying system registry using Administrator account in Windows 7 Ultimate x86 version.

Reason: I want to remove all USB device information in system registry, therefore I uninstalled all USB Root HUBs in Device Manager, then I ran regedit and tried to delete all keys under HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\, under this key lists all USB devices ever connected to this PC, begins with VID_****&PID_****. This method works under Windows  XP.

Current situation: Now, when trying this method under Windows 7, it won't work any more. When deleting a key, it pops up an error: Cannot delete VID_****&PID_****: Error while deleting key ("*" refers to the hex. numbers). I understand that this might be an account privilige issue, then I right clicked the key and hit Permissions, however, I'm unable to give full control right to Everyone, or add Administrator into the permission group. It will always pop up an error saying unable to save permission changes, access denied.

I searched and found a post suggesting download and install SubInACL and run a batch file afterwards, I ran the batch file under elevated command prompt, which turned out a failure.

The Windows copy is a new installation, only drivers and SubInACL installed, I just connected several USB devices before trying to remove registry information, as a test.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:35 AM

Answers

• No, disconnect USB device did not help. Finally got the problem solved by using psexec.exe to get system priviliges, then I was able to delete these keys. The command is: psexec.exe -i -d -s regedit.exe
    • Marked as answer by Cooper H Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:58 AM
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:57 AM

All replies

• Is it possible that the Access Denied message relates to the fact that the entries are in use (by the USB devices you have connected) when you try to delete them?

Answering policy: see profile.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:40 AM
  • No, disconnect USB device did not help. Finally got the problem solved by using psexec.exe to get system priviliges, then I was able to delete these keys. The command is: psexec.exe -i -d -s regedit.exe
    • Marked as answer by Cooper H Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:58 AM
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:57 AM
  • I opened a command window and ran psexec.exe as you say but what next?  I only see that regedit.exe started on my computer with process ID 6224.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:00 PM
  • The said command "psexec.exe -i -d -s regedit.exe did not work in my windows 7 home basic service pack 1.

any help/idea?

pooja
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Works great. You just need to remember to run cmd.exe in Administrator mode.
    Monte
    Monday, July 11, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Excellent, Excellent, Excellent,

Finally an answer.

Thank You.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:02 AM
  • I have the same problem.....

'psexec.exe is not recognised as ......... a command

:(

Friday, December 16, 2011 9:24 PM
  • psexec.exe is not part of a standard Windows install.  It can be downloaded here.  Use at your own risk.
    Answering policy: see profile.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 10:08 PM