none
Here we go again!!! DOES WINDOWS SEARCH 4.0 WORK WITH WLMAIL? Can someone at Microsoft PLEASE answer basic questions?

Question

•  

WDS 3.01 does not work with Windows Live Mail, unless you also have your messsages in Outlook Express.

Microsoft msn is discontinuing support for Outlook Express, effective June 30th, and is sending out email telling us to download WIndows Live Mail, which I did, but WDS 3.01 doesn't work with Windows LIve Mail and there is no mention of whether Windows Search 4.0 will either. This is ridiculous. 

I have searched the WIndows Search 4.0 and can't find an answer to this.

I contacted XP Support via Chat and they don't know if it does, and said they can't get that answer for me.

How is that for worthless and insulting "support" whether from overseas or not Microsoft.

Microsoft support doesn't know if a microsoft product works with a microsoft product that we are being required by microsoft msn to switch to.

Unbelievable!!!

I know what you are going to say, stop whining and try it yourself.

Well, I downloaded Search 4.0 Preview and tried installing it but it screwed up the WDS 3.01 Install and I can't uninstall WDS 3.01 now.

XP Support installed a third party installer YourUninstaller because Microsoft's own Windows Installer Cleanup doesn't "see" WDS 3.01.

Reinstalling WDS 3.01 works but doesn't help. I still can't uninstall.  The error message is "Onlay applies to Currently Installed " blah blah blah.

I stopped the uninstall until I knew for certain if 4.0 will work with WLMail, which is where we stand in this charade.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.  Windows Desktop Search 3.01 and Windows Search 4.0 may be used to search text in the body of Windows Live e-mail messages.  Please verify that the file extensions eml and nws are included in the Indexing Options. 

·          To check for the file extensions you may to go: Control Panel>Indexing Options>Advanced>File Types>Verify that the extensions: eml and nws are checked. Next, under How Should this file be indexed, select Index Properties and File Contents. Note: You will receive a prompt that this Operation will completely rebuild the Index Locations on your computer.  This will add and include the file extensions selected.

For additional info. you may also view the following resources:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=wl_mailv2&market=en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/filetypes.mspx

Also, to clarify, what OS do you have and do you currently have WDS 3.1 installed? To uninstall WDS 3.1 you may try the following:

1.     Click the Start button

2.     Click Control Panel

3.     Click Add / Remove Programs

4.     Check the Show Updates box

5.     Look for Windows Desktop Search in the list/Click to Remove

If the uninstall does not initiate here, you may run the uninstaller in:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Go to: Start>My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>Select the View Tab>Scroll down to select Show hidden files and folders>Click to [Apply to All Folders] and then click Apply and then OK.

Next, Double Click Local Disk (C: )>Windows. From this list, please locate the $NtUninstallKB917013 folder and run the uninstaller.

Next, you may try installing Windows Search 4.0 preview:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157/en-us

Please let us know if this works for you.

Thank you,

• Proposed as answer by vritesh Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:53 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2008 7:45 PM
  • So in a word, the answer is:

NO!

???

If so, are you aware of the fact msn is no longer going to support using Outlook Express with msn?

Can you stop them from dropping support since your products don't work with your products?

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:00 PM
  •  

The answer is "Yes".

There are several configurations, where Windows Live Mail Messages get indexed without the need of having Outlook Express. (For example, I use the Office Outlook Connector http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7AAD7E6A-931E-438A-950C-5E9EA66322D4&displaylang=en to have my Live Mails in Outlook 2007 and they are indexed fine).

Did you try Windows Live Mail (Microsoft's free e-mail program, with the familiar features of Outlook Express, plus more.)

http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Please describe in addition the problems you experience. Otherwise we or the community will not be able to help you.

The forum is a place for technical help. In case you want to file a complaint, please use the following contact details to contact our support and note them, that you want to file a complaint

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=mscom

Thanks

Thomas

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Forget Outlook 2007. I am talking ONLY WLMail and no Outlook Express.

In the Advanced Search for WDS, to search a message by date or from a sender you can use operators such as from: date:

Try these and tell me what you get.

In WLMail paste this search

sent:4/23/2008..today

Result?

In WDS

Result?

The last time I launched OE was the 23rd

In WLMail

My result:

No Items Match your search

in WDS 3.01

My Result

EMail sent 4/23/08

Search does not find messages for 4/24-4/27

I then searched in WLMail Inbox for WLMAIL (notification of this post)  and 2 messages came up from the 26, and today.

The same search in WDS did not include the messages because they are not in OE

WDS DOESN'T WORK WITH WLMAIL

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Make sure that the live mail data directory is included in your indexed locations. to do this, go to the indexing options control panel and click the modify button. Navigate to c:\<userprofile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.

Is that directory checked? If it isn't, check it. If it is checked already, check the directory above it (that would be the Microsoft directory) and click OK, then go back into the Modify dialog and repeat the steps but this time uncheck the Microsoft directory (The Windows Live Mail directory should still be checked). Please let us know if this helps.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:44 PM
  • You are missing the point.

Reread the post to see what you are missing. It is annoying to us users when MSFT people don't take the time to understand the issue and simply post an "ANSWER" that does not address the issue.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:05 PM
  • I can't answer your question, but I can refute your statement in the first line of this immoderate posting. I have been using WDS 3.01 with Windows Live Mail on XPSP2 since before its release to market. It works flawlessly, so perhaps you should have checked your settings.

I have been in touch with a user who has installed WS4; he reports that while he is able to find search terms in the body of messages using the WS interface, it does not seem to be working in the Find a message word-wheel within WLMail. Perhaps someone can explain why. Until this is resolved, I'll be sticking to WDS 3.01.

Saturday, May 03, 2008 10:03 PM
  • So are you telling me if you use the qualifiers, such as SENT:4/22/08, either via the full screen search, or within WLMail, it will only return messages sent 4/22/08?

If not, my statement remains accurate.

And are you telling me when reviewing messages found via the full screen search, the date sent, subject and sender, etc. columns are filled in for WLMail messages?

When a company like Microsoft tells its users they must stop using something that works, for something that doesn't, and I am paying for it, and they offer no means by which I can communicate my displeasure over their demands, I believe I am within my rights to become "immoderate."

I use msn mail, and have since 1995, and I also have used Outlook Express with WDS since day one. They are scrapping OE June 30th and are demanding that I switch to WLmail. Why Vista" the most disastrous MS OS since "me".

To make matters worse, WLMail doesn't work with WDS 3.01 or apparently 4.0

I believe their demands with no possible means by which I as a customer can object and obtain a response are borderline immoral.

You apparently disagree. You are wrong.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 5:14 AM
  •  DigitalMediaEnthusiast wrote:

So are you telling me if you use the qualifiers, such as SENT:4/22/08, either via the full screen search, or within WLMail, it will only return messages sent 4/22/08?

Not SENT, but DATE - yes. Messages in WLMail don't have many indexable properties; that is a limitation of WLMail, not WDS. They are all available in the WLMail interface.

And are you telling me when reviewing messages found via the full screen search, the date sent, subject and sender, etc. columns are filled in for WLMail messages?

No, for the same reason.

I believe I am within my rights to become "immoderate."

There's never any reason to be immoderate in a public forum. You'll only end up antagonizing precisely those people who might be able to help you.

They are scrapping OE June 30th and are demanding that I switch to WLmail.

That is just not true and you know it. Microsoft have announced that with effect from 30 June, they will no longer support HTTP access to Hotmail accounts using the WebDAV protocol. They are not "scrapping OE", nor are they demanding anything at all. Users of free accounts will have the choice of web access or HTTP access using a different protocol (DeltaSync) in WLMail. Paid account users will continue to be able to access Hotmail via POP3. OE will not be upgraded to enable it to use DeltaSync. That's all. 

To make matters worse, WLMail doesn't work with WDS 3.01 or apparently 4.0

As I said, WDS 3.01 works very well with WLMail. With the WDS index and WLMail's sort options, I can find any message almost instantaneously using a bewildering variety of criteria if I want. If you can't, then either your settings in WDS are not right or you're not using the right techniques. I can't answer for WS4, which is in any case only a preview

Monday, May 05, 2008 8:58 AM
  • RE: Search

From within WLMail, using Find a message at the top of the screen, if you use SENT:4/20/08..Today , what do you get?

I get "no items match your search"

I don;'t know what you mean by DATE

This is from the WDS Help

To specify a date range, type the property followed by two dates. Closed date ranges are indicated by typing .. For example, type fromBig Smileavid sent:11/05/04..11/05/05. Windows Desktop Search recognizes all Windows date formats, and also recognizes the following values:

• Relative dates: For example, today, tomorrow, yesterday
    • Multi-word relative dates: For example, this week, next month, last week, past month, coming year.
    • Days: Sunday, Monday ... Saturday
    • Months: January, February ... December

So it seems to me you need to use SENT and it does not work for me.

This to me is about as basic a search as you can use, without which I do not consider WDS to work with WLMail. Do you disagree?

RE: OE Support expires 6/20/08

This is the email from microsoft, which seems to me to indicate what I have stated:

Dear Microsoft Outlook Express customer,

Thank you for using Microsoft® Outlook® Express. Our information indicates that you use Outlook Express to access a Windows Live™ Hotmail® e-mail account via a protocol called DAV (Distributed Authoring and Versioning protocol). DAV, like POP3 or IMAP, is the way that a mail client communicates with a web-based mail server.

As a valued customer, we want to provide advanced notice that as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an alternative, we recommend that you download Windows Live Mail, a free desktop e-mail client that has the familiarity of Outlook Express and much more. This next generation of free e-mail software will allow you to easily manage multiple e-mail accounts—including Windows Live Hotmail, plus other e-mail accounts that support POP3/IMAP. Better yet, Windows Live Mail integrates well with other Windows Live services, and downloads in minutes.

"you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express."

I have sent 3 responses to this and they are yet to respond back.

Monday, May 05, 2008 2:32 PM
  •  DigitalMediaEnthusiast wrote:

RE: Search

From within WLMail, using Find a message at the top of the screen, if you use SENT:4/20/08..Today , what do you get?

I get "no items match your search"

You cannot use advanced search criteria in the word-wheel, and nowhere does it say that you should be able to. You don't need to, either - the sort options available achieve precisely the same.

I don;'t know what you mean by DATE

DATE is one of the file properties (read all about search criteria in Help) and as such gets indexed. So if in WDS you specify 'date:20/04/08', the search will return files modified on that date. In the WLMail message list, you can sort by SENT to find messages sent on that date.

This to me is about as basic a search as you can use, without which I do not consider WDS to work with WLMail. Do you disagree?

Yes. WDS fulfills two functions: (1) It creates an index of the files you specify, and (2) it provides an interface for querying that index. WLMail accesses the index to find search terms in its message store and returns matches. Using the sort options makes it possible very quickly to locate a particular message. Pretty basic, and it works.

RE: OE Support expires 6/20/08

Our information indicates that you use Outlook Express to access a Windows Live™ Hotmail® e-mail account via a protocol called DAV...

...as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express...

...we recommend that you download Windows Live Mail... This next generation of free e-mail software will allow you to easily manage ... Windows Live Hotmail...

"you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express."

[understood] using DAV. If you subscribe to Hotmail Plus, you will still be able to access Hotmail in Outlook Express via POP3. Or you can install WLMail and access it via HTTP. Your choice. I don't see any 'demand' (your expression) in that e-mail, which has in any case been superseded by an announcement to the effect that the withdrawal of DAV access has been deferred indefinitely.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:51 AM
  • RE: You cannot use advanced search criteria in the word-wheel, and nowhere does it say that you should be able to.

Nor does it say anywhere that you can't. A reasonable person would assume that you could and should be able to use all the functions of a search engine, unless you are told otherwise. You give Microsoft too much of the benefit of the doubt to assume you can't unless they tell you you can, especially since they also tell you in Help that with XP, WDS IS REQUIRED, per the below:

But first let's highlight the classic Microsoft way of offering "help" that is enormously beneficial:

Search your e-mail messages

You can carry out searches of your e-mail by using the Windows Live Mail search box. You can also use Quick views in...

And that's the extent of their Help. WOW!!! I'm overwhelmed with how enriched I am to know I can search by searching.

RE: You don't need to, either - the sort options available achieve precisely the same.

They then tell us how to search using the Find Function, which is no different than what has been in OE for years. However, such "advanced functions" as offered by WDS like OR AND etc DO NOT WORK in this interface. That is why I want WDS. So your same  statement is not correct.

Search your e-mail or newsgroup messages
     Run an advanced search in your e-mail or newsgroup folders
    1. Start Windows Live Mail.

Show me how

2. In the lower-left corner of the window, click the Mail icon or the Newsgroups icon .
    3. On the Edit menu, point to Find, and then click Message.

If you can't see the menu bar, in the upper right corner of the screen, click the Show menu button , and then click Show all menus.

4. Type criteria in the search fields, such as who the message is from, the date received, or text contained within the message.
    5. By default, Windows Live Mail searches the currently selected folder. To search in another folder, click Browse, select the folder that you want to search, and then click OK.
    6. Click Find Now.

Note

If you use Windows XP, you can't search the full text in the body of your e-mail messages unless you have Windows Desktop Search installed on your computer. To install Windows Desktop Search, go to the Windows Desktop Search download website. This website may be available in English only.

SO... WDS DOES NOT WORK with WLMail and no one from MS has refuted that, nor have I been told by MSN that they have changed their mind and OE will continue to be useable.

Great customer service! And yes, I do pay for Windows and my msn accounts.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:23 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback.  Sorry to hear that you experienced an issue with an Advanced Search query within Windows Live Mail.

In addition to the "Find a message" search box in which you may search for text within Windows Live Mail, you can also search e-mail messages using the advanced search option and the following criteria: From, To, Subject, Message Text and date received as mentioned in the Windows Live Mail Help Guide.

If you are using Windows XP, you cannot search the full text in the body of your e-mail messages unless you have Windows Search 4.0 or WDS 3.1 installed.  With Windows Search installed, you are able to search content of Windows Live mail through the Windows Search UI and through the Windows Live Mail Find a Message Search Box, although Windows Live Mail does not offer advanced search through the Find a Message Tool thus, using the same advanced query terms used in Windows Desktop Search 3.1 & Windows Search 4.0 may not produce the same search results.

For additional information regarding Windows Live Mail functionality you may visit the "Help" section of Windows Live Mail located at the upper-right corner beside the "Windows Live sign-in" button.

You may also view the following resource for an update regarding the transition to disable the DAV protocol that Outlook Express uses to access your Hotmail inbox.

http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!5745.entry

To submit feedback for Windows Search and Windows Live Mail, you may also visit the following pages:

https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=windowssearch&mkt=en-us&scrx=1

https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmaildesktop&scrx=1

Thank you for previewing Windows Search 4.0.  If you need any additional assistance regarding Windows Live Mail, you may also submit a request by visiting the following support page:

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmaildesktop&ct=eformtss

We appreciate your input and value your feedback. 

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Ok, so simply put, although WDS is required for "text" search in Live Mail, all but the most basic of search functionality is supported in the Live Mail interface, and the pertinent fields, such as sender and date do not display in the WDS interface for WLMail.

If the above is correct, then I believe you have provided for us all what is undoubtedly one of the most perfect examples of how even the absolute pinnalcle company in the entire industry accomplishes what is nothing less than a "half-baked" solution.  

Do you agree?

I could also use the link to the help for the search box you reference. 

Here is what I find, which I consider an insult:

Search your e-mail messages

You can carry out searches of your e-mail by using the Windows Live Mail search box. You can also use Quick views in the folder pane to display specific categories of messages from across all of your e-mail and newsgroup accounts. You can also carry out more advanced searches of your message folders.

So the totality of the "help" provided is encapsulated in this:

"You can carry out searches of your e-mail by using the Windows Live Mail search box. "

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:38 PM
  • So, to sum up. I'm running Windows Search 4.0 and Windows Live Mail 2009 beta on Windows XP SP3.

WLM messages are positively listed in Windows Search results. The reason is that the Windows Live Mail data folder is among those watched by the indexer. I did not put it there myself: I assume the Windows Live Installer did, and I'm happy it did.

Issue #1.
    Since e-mail messages are indexed as generic files in a folder, they are also displayed with their file name (instead of their details) in the search results. Which leaves me with useless search results like '6E16364A-000005FF.eml' which I need to preview one by one to find the one I'm looking for.
    Is there any way to get the actual message details (From, Subject, Date etc) listed in the results, instead of the file name?

Issue #2.
    When I preview the messages, the preview pane opens an HTML preview in (I think) an instance of MSHTML. For each and every e-mail message I click on, I get the Information Bar displayed above the preview pane, warning me that 'the file was prevented from executing active content' (sort of... I'm translating :-D ).
    Is this a symptom of some misconfiguration on my side or a known issue?

Thank you very much
    --
    Andy
    Monday, September 22, 2008 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.  Windows Desktop Search 3.01 and Windows Search 4.0 may be used to search text in the body of Windows Live e-mail messages.  Please verify that the file extensions eml and nws are included in the Indexing Options. 

·          To check for the file extensions you may to go: Control Panel>Indexing Options>Advanced>File Types>Verify that the extensions: eml and nws are checked. Next, under How Should this file be indexed, select Index Properties and File Contents. Note: You will receive a prompt that this Operation will completely rebuild the Index Locations on your computer.  This will add and include the file extensions selected.

For additional info. you may also view the following resources:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=wl_mailv2&market=en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/filetypes.mspx

Also, to clarify, what OS do you have and do you currently have WDS 3.1 installed? To uninstall WDS 3.1 you may try the following:

1.     Click the Start button

2.     Click Control Panel

3.     Click Add / Remove Programs

4.     Check the Show Updates box

5.     Look for Windows Desktop Search in the list/Click to Remove

If the uninstall does not initiate here, you may run the uninstaller in:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Go to: Start>My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>Select the View Tab>Scroll down to select Show hidden files and folders>Click to [Apply to All Folders] and then click Apply and then OK.

Next, Double Click Local Disk (C: )>Windows. From this list, please locate the $NtUninstallKB917013 folder and run the uninstaller.

Next, you may try installing Windows Search 4.0 preview:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157/en-us

Please let us know if this works for you.

Thank you,

Frank of bookmarkwiz review
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Windows Desktop Search in XA does not support the from boxes, etc. for Windows Live Mail, as it does with Outlook Express.  Search shows a drop down box for Outlook and Outlook Express, but not Windows Live Mail. 

When searching Windows Live Emails from Windows Search 4.0, it shows a bunch of envelopes, and not the information about the emails themselves.

Looks like the Windows Search window does not support Windows Live Mail to the extent it did Outlook Express and Outlook, even though Windows Live Mail is the new flagship !  Help!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Also, the search inside Windows Live Mail does not list the folders where the emails that are returned by search are located.  A main reason to search for something is to find out where it is, and there is no way to find what folder the found emails reside in, as far as I can see.  Is Microsoft wanting me to go to Apple?  This search situation has cost me days, and is a hugh show stopper as far as upgrading to Windows 7.  How can Microsoft not see this??
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:19 AM