none
AutoCAD 2007 and 2005 compatibility with Windows Vista

Question

• My bussness revloves around the use of AutoCAD. I recently installed Windows Vista Ultimit on my computer. After i tried to install AutoCAD 2005 on it to discover it would not work. Is there any patches in order to make it compatible. If not Is AutoCAD 2007 Compatible before i go and buy it. thank you
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:58 AM

Answers

• I installed vista premium and Autocad 2007 would not start.

I set the program to run in xp compatibility mode and to run as administrator and it worked.

You can do this by right clicking the icon and selecting properties.

When it starts you will be prompted to authorize changes to you setings .Say yes and you will be fine.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 1:43 AM

All replies

• Nick, you better contact Autodesk concerning this question. They are much more competent in their applications' compatibility issues than this forum inhabitants.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:04 AM
  • Microsoft is unable to provide support for 3rd party products.  You will need to contact the manufacturer.

You might start by going to http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=532684

Saturday, February 03, 2007 12:31 AM
  • I installed vista premium and Autocad 2007 would not start.

I set the program to run in xp compatibility mode and to run as administrator and it worked.

When it starts you will be prompted to authorize changes to you setings .Say yes and you will be fine.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Thanks it works. I should of thought of that. That feature of switching the Os capability has been around awhile.
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 11:12 PM
  • Quote: Oniel Gardner

"I installed vista premium and Autocad 2007 would not start.

When it starts you will be prompted to authorize changes to you setings .Say yes and you will be fine."

Hey--If this works when i get my vista machine next week I give you all my respect. Have you posted this on the Autodesk Site? I have tried to look there and find nothing but more confusion. IF you haven't do you mind if I do, I will give you all the credit! I just think we should start a poll and see how many people this works for?

Does the version of Vista matter? Basic, Home Premium, or does it have to be business or ultimate? And i assume it is the x32 bit version of Vista?

Thanks,
    AutoCadBrad

Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:55 PM
  • Here's another one for you guys.  So i got ArchDesktop 2006 to run fine by clicking compatibility and running as administrator. 

The only problem i have arises when i connect my laptop to my company's network. (By being physically in the office and plugging myself in via an ethernet cable) For some reason windows explorer can see our office's network shares (after providing the appropriate credentials) and other programs such as photoshop can open files on these network shares, however when i try to open a file on the network from within AutoCAD i'm told i dont have the right to access the network.  Even though i'm in the admin group on my laptop and after right-clicking and checking run as admin in the compatibility tab.  This is after i've already confirmed that i can see and open all other files on the network shares from standard windows explorer as well as from other programs. 

I think its a UAC issue because as soon as i disable admin approval mode i have access to the shares.  I've gone through the standard user analyzer tool, and have tried implementing the mitigations its suggested, but nothing has worked so far.  I know Autodesk doesn't plan on releasing a patch anytime soon (its nice to have a monopoly in the CAD industry) so i thought i could shim it into working. 

Can anyone help? Or point me in the right direction.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 4:29 PM
  • UPDATE:  I've tried a few things since i posted the above this morning.  I've established that the program behaves normally and does connect to network shares when UAC (via turning off admin approval mode) is turned off. 

Now, with UAC on, i killed the explorer.exe process (via taskmanager) opened up a command prompt by right clicking it and running it as admin and then restarted explorer.exe from there, in the hopes that i would get an explorer process which had inherited the elevated token from the command prompt parent.  This allowed me to start cad normally without the elevation prompt since i was already running an elevated token, but unfortunately this wouldn't allow me to connect to the network share. 

Using the SUA many of the errors i get are due to the fact that CAD calls for the BUILT_IN admin account upon launch.  Is there any shim that can be applied through ACT 5 that would allow CAD or trick it into thinking that its writing to the BUILT_IN admin account?  Or a shim that would effectively turn off UAC on a per program basis? (I'm guessing not since any change to UAC, or admin approval mode specifically, requires a restart.) The standard Run as Administrator check box fixes most problems with the program, in fact the only problem i have beyond those that can be fixed with RunasAdmin  is this network one.  And a few redraw errors which can be fixed with Disabling desktop composition. 

Also if this is of importance, i'm not trying to get this network feature to work under a standard user account, rather i'm trying to get it to work on an admin account under admin approval mode.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 6:46 PM
  • Thank you a lot for sharing your experience, I'm really glad to know that so I don't have to run AutoCad 2007 from Virtual OS!
    Thank you

Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:29 PM
  • I did the same and it's working for me, currently.

Great advice - thanks so much!

Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:49 AM
  • I think that that works only if you've upgraded xp to vista with autocad installed before.

But what about if you have a new pc with vista.

Do you think that I can run the setup prog by "right clicking"?

Friday, February 23, 2007 8:23 AM
  • Done it. error message still appears, but works fine when choosing run the programm.

thanks

Friday, February 23, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Yes it still works i have wiped my computer and added three partitions and am now running XP ,Vista an Linux. But to answer your question i installed auto CAD on Vista and changed the compatibility and run as an administrator and work perfectly. you may get a warning message beside allow window but once you okay, all you will get is the allow or deny screen after that and it will work. You can use this method for many other programs.If you want to be stupid and shut off the UCA and allow all the spyware and any other computer damaging programs on your computer be my guest and join the many other stupid idiotic people. hope this helped.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:53 AM
  •  

i just bought a new pc with windows vista premiun pre installed can i, still set the program to run in xp compatibility mode

and run as administrator? and if not what can i do i have 07 autocad  

Thursday, March 01, 2007 2:36 AM
  • Hi I bay a laptop that contain windows vista. I intalled auto cad 2005 but not function whit this operative system. You can hell me to resolved this problem. I want to know what i need to do. Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by Rajesh Mahadik Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:21 AM
    Friday, March 02, 2007 9:19 PM
  • Juan,

Right click your autocad icon and set the program to run in xp compatibility mode and to run as administrator. (click derecho en el icono de autocad y en opciones correr programa como XP compatible en modo de administrador.) 

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:11 PM
  • I am running windows vista that came with my laptop and when i right click i dont have the compatibility option everyone is talking about. what am i missing here? anyone?
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:46 AM
  • hi  i have my autocad 2007 running just fine, except for the error msg, but im getting use to it, but does anyone know when is the update for ac 2007 coming out ???so that it works just fine, like if it was running on windows vista, not xp, and another question, does anyone know how to open drawings in just one ac2007 window, because right now everytime i open a drawing it opens a new autocad, what do i do????
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:43 AM
  • Yaaay! you're awesome!! it works! it works!!
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 4:49 PM
  • are u rick clicking on the shortcut or on the application icon itself? go to the autocad folder on your program files folder. rick click on the atocad icon from there. it should work
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 4:56 PM
  • Type Options in the command prompt. Once the option menu comes up you will click on the System Tab. There is a box of options in the upper right hand corner with a bunch of check boxes, you want to check Single-drawing compatibility mode. Once you check this box it will prompt you to save your current drawing once you choose to open another drawing and you will have only one drawing open at a time. This only works if you open the drawing from within the program, if you double click a file from windows explorer it start a new AutoCAD window.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 4:17 PM
  • Does this also work with Autocad LT 2005?

ta

Monday, April 23, 2007 8:23 PM
  • polo82----

As far as an update for AutoCAD 2007 I have not seen one yet but 2008 is available and made for the Vista platform. If you have the x64 Vista you can also get a 64-bit AutoCAD 2008 to further enhance your productivity!! (trials for both 32 and 64-bit systems are on there web site (I thinks only 30-days).
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:10 PM
  • WOW THANKS A LOT... it worked and saved my life lol... cause i just bought a laptop and was about to downgrade it to XP to make autocad 2005 work
    Wednesday, May 02, 2007 4:10 PM
  • I did all that but still get error message "aplication failed, ac1st16.dll was not found. There is patch, do you know where to find it?
    Friday, June 15, 2007 7:39 PM
  • how can i install autocad 2005 with windows vista
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Yes! its true! CADfolks. I did running autocad2006 as administrator in Vista Home basic edition and it works. Very fine!! I had a hard time trying to run it as administrator until I discovered to uncheck all the square box in the property compatability setting. This saves me from buying new version of Cad. Howcome Autodesk didnt expose this "trick"! ha? I just hope the program runs smoothly!  
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:46 PM
  • i tried to change the compatibility of auto cad 2006 by right click on the shortcut but that window doesn't show up, is there any other way that i can change the compatibility.  thanks
    Friday, July 27, 2007 1:45 AM
  • I am out of work just finished Autodesk Course 2007 loaned money for new Laptop - Bloody thing does not work with Vista.

Bloody Microsoft and Bill Gates oh so good and Christian I am out of work -- no more money to pay to upgrade to CAD 2008.

Gates solve this problem or I will starve.

Mind you Gates you are sitting pretty and don't give a fig about anyone but your self.

This Vista is ***.

HELP --Bill Gates is robbing all of us HELP -- WORLD WIDE HELP

Resolve the problems Gates lets use our 2007 CAD

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:10 PM
  • I HAVE DOWNLOADED AUTO CAD LT 2007 TRIAL VERSION TO A VISTA 3/07 RELEASE DATE OS AND I CAN'T GET CAD TO WORK. I TRIED EVERYTHING RUN AS ADMIN AND COMPATIBILITY AND NOTHING, I DESPERATELY NEED TO KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO MAKE THIS WORK. AUTODESK DOESNT PROVIDE SUPPORT AT THIS TIME BECAUSE ITS A TRIAL VERSION BUT I DONT WANT TO PURCHASE SOMETHING THAT SEEMS NOT TO WORK CORRECTLY. PLEASE HELP! IT WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:51 AM
  • I NEED THIS AUTOCAD2007 FOR VISTA AS TRIAL EDITION

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:30 AM
  • I did this like everyone else did and it seems to work. HOWEVER, whenever i run the program, my entire display settings become distorted. I've tried to disable the settings under settings in the compatibilty tab but nothing happens. How can I solve this problem? Would greatly appreciate your help... 

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:04 PM
  • whata re the specs of your computer. may try to use CPU Z to find this info or click start run and type msinfo32.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 10:00 PM
  • IF YOU WANT TO RUN AUTOCAD 2007 WITH VISTA , INSTALL IT AND THEN CLICK ON PROPERTIES OF APPLICATION AND SELECT COMPATIBALITY WITH WINDOWS NT SERVICE PACK 5 . IT WILL WORK.
    Monday, September 10, 2007 4:37 PM
  • i recently bought a laptop and it has vista on it. i tryed to put on AutoCAD 2007 and won't let me. How do u change it to xp????? as what u said where do i go and what do i do????

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 6:20 AM
  • Go to the auto start app on the cd (explore cd by right clicking it) and right click and select options then compatibility and select xp and run as an administrator. once installs go to C:/program files/...../the auto cad file and select the auto CAD.exe and right click and compatibiliy and select xp ,administrator. hope helps. this does this works for any xp program you have.
    Friday, September 14, 2007 7:36 PM
  • Do you really think that UAC stops spyware from entering into your computer?

Believe me it will not. I'm a tech and have been solving malware *** problems for Vista for quite sometime now.

Yogi

** Some learn from other's experiences while others prefer to try it themselves **

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:23 PM
  • I have AutoCad 2005, I just bought new pc which comes only on Vista, so I had to install AutoCad on it. It will say that Autodesk is not compatible with my Windows . But I have done as you said and it works. I didn't check for solutions on line but Run the program. Thanks a lot, cheers

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Yes. Its works, thanks for ur valuable information

Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:54 AM
  • do i have to do tht before i run the program or after it is installed.

I tried both ways it still not working. AND when I right click on the autocad icon and go to properties it does not show the tab for compatibility so i cant really change anything.

Help me!

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:42 PM
  • I purchased a computer with Vista Home Premiun and I cannot get Autocad 2005 to function after a few key strokes,it starts fine with the settings as suggested in XP mode and run as administrator but after I do 3 or 3key strokes I get an error command and it shuts down Autocad Do I need to go back to XP, any Help would be appreciated.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:53 AM
  • Thank's

Now my Autocad is working.

But there is a problem when we go to active it's give error that this program is allready running.

For activation i'm coping two filw by cracking in the autocad directory.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:55 AM
  •  Osama Alex wrote:
    Thank you a lot for sharing your experience, I'm really glad to know that so I don't have to run AutoCad 2007 from Virtual OS!
    Thank you

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:21 AM
  • I have Auto Cad LT 2005 and I can not get it  to change to the xp mode  from vista

Saturday, March 22, 2008 2:35 AM
  •  

I WAN USE AUTOCAD FOR MY COMPUTER
    Friday, March 28, 2008 2:54 AM
  • Can I have the requirement of Autocad 2007?
    I have Windows Vista Home Premium and ram 512. I think to upgrade the ram.
    But, i don't know the minimal requirement to make it don't well in Vista.
    Is the xp compatibility can work in Autocad 2005 too?
    I'll glad to have your help.Thx.
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Hi, I am having the same problem with my Vista and AutoCAD 2005.  Problem is that I am not able to follow any of instructions.  I must be doing something wrong as I cant even find the option for "compatibility" in your first step.  Can you baby step me through this?  I thought I was pretty pc savy but I cant even get to your "auto start app on the cd"! 

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 5:11 PM
  • You can also try IntelliCAD. progeCAD 2008 is Vista compatible and can edit, view and convert AutoCAD DWG and DXF 2002 2004 2005 2006 2008 files, whatever you have...
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:58 AM
  • I have changed the compatibility back to XP but I an still getting the .dll error and Auto Cad 2005 will not load.........any suggestions?

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:41 PM
  • No AUTOCAD version can run on my windows vista (home basic) copy. Can you offer any useful advice on how to resolve the problem?

Monday, June 16, 2008 1:56 PM
  •  Eucrow wrote:
    Here's another one for you guys.  So i got ArchDesktop 2006 to run fine by clicking compatibility and running as administrator. 

The only problem i have arises when i connect my laptop to my company's network. (By being physically in the office and plugging myself in via an ethernet cable) For some reason windows explorer can see our office's network shares (after providing the appropriate credentials) and other programs such as photoshop can open files on these network shares, however when i try to open a file on the network from within AutoCAD i'm told i dont have the right to access the network.  Even though i'm in the admin group on my laptop and after right-clicking and checking run as admin in the compatibility tab.  This is after i've already confirmed that i can see and open all other files on the network shares from standard windows explorer as well as from other programs. 

I think its a UAC issue because as soon as i disable admin approval mode i have access to the shares.  I've gone through the standard user analyzer tool, and have tried implementing the mitigations its suggested, but nothing has worked so far.  I know Autodesk doesn't plan on releasing a patch anytime soon (its nice to have a monopoly in the CAD industry) so i thought i could shim it into working. 

Can anyone help? Or point me in the right direction.

Found this online, dont know if it works:

>Re: Windows Vista Support for AutoCAD 2005

>My IT support guy just solved the network issue for me. Here's the fix he gave me:

>Go to the Start button and open All Programs then Accessories
    >Click Run and type regedit.exe
    >Locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Polices\System

>Click Edit, New then DWORD (32 bit) value (I'm presuming if you have a 64-bit system then you add a QWORD but I >can't be sure)
    >Name the new DWORD EnableLinkedConnections and set its value to 1

>AutoCAD 2005 should now be able to see network drives.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:50 AM
  •  

I bought a new laptop with Window Vista on it and had the same problem. couldn't run any version of Autocad on it but today I did the same thing everyone suggested. Right Clicked on my Autocad 2006 then chose the "Run As Administrator". It gives me few prompts with I ignore them or I say Allow to all of them then I choose the Run Program which is the last prompt and my Autoca Cad works. Works really good .
    Monday, August 18, 2008 3:04 AM
  • Hi

As per my understanding , Windows Vista supports only AutoCAD 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Please refer the following link

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=9217791&linkID=9240617

Thanks,

Leena

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:43 PM
  • hey we have the 2008 autocad with vista ultimate how do we get it to work.the error that is coming up is it has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect... how do we get it to work. plz help

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:22 PM
  • Man u r the greatest, I had the same problem and now it works....thanks a lot

Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Awesome, it worked for me too.  Well, it's still installing to tell you the truth.  Actually, it looks a bit stuck, the progress bar has been the same for ages, but hopefully it'll finish.

I think it's worth mentioning that the compatibility mode with Windows XP should be applied to setup.exe in the Bin folder of the CD.  It may be obvious to some, but I first applied it to Autorun.exe and was dismayed to see it didn't make any difference.  However, setup.exe is your file, apply it to that, run as administrator and Bob could well be your uncle!

Ash

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Clear instructions in plain english (not geek talk) is all a Civil Engineer can ask for. Thanks Dani that worked and now i can get back to work. 

Sincerely,

Mo
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:04 AM
  • I did the same thing. I installed it on my laptop (2005) and it is a new laptop. It never crossed my mind that it would not work with VISTA. I did the same thing with the admin and XP compatibility. Mine worked but it still occasionally gets an error that it is missing something or that it won't run and do I want windows to go on line and find a solution. When it does that I just keep trying to re-open it till it goes thru.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:57 PM
  • I HAVE 2006 WHAT ABOUT IT

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:13 PM
  • I dont understand. I need this bad! How did you set the program to run in xp compat. mode? Right clicking on what icon?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:09 PM
  •  Nick Port wrote:
    My bussness revloves around the use of AutoCAD. I recently installed Windows Vista Ultimit on my computer. After i tried to install AutoCAD 2005 on it to discover it would not work. Is there any patches in order to make it compatible. If not Is AutoCAD 2007 Compatible before i go and buy it. thank you
    Sunday, December 07, 2008 12:58 AM
  • I do not understand how to set my Vista Ultimate in 32 bit compatibility mode, or XP mode? I need to install AutoCAD but it will not install in my 64 bit OS? Do I need to reboot to the disc and start all over again?
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Thank you Oriel.

Your advice is concise and works!

Now I can use my machine.

Best Wishes

John Pollock
    Tandlemuir Lochwinnoch Scotland UK
    Monday, June 01, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Mr Brad ,

I am very Thankful To you  you Saved My Job ... by giving me the instruction
    really u r genious

regards
    faraz
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:49 AM
  • How can i made my window compatiable with Auto Cad 2005?

• Proposed as answer by laifast Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:04 AM
  • thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

i salute you it works for me and i am using it now 

Sunday, August 01, 2010 11:21 AM
  • Thank you for mentioning this since it was giving error and I thought its not working but your comment made me still run it n bingo it works!!!

Oneil thanks to you equally!

• Proposed as answer by Jock_Conner Sunday, September 04, 2011 2:19 AM
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 10:09 AM