No audio device is installed but Realtek HD shows in device manager

Question

• I have seen other threads and I have:

checked physical connection

checked bios

updated to the most recent realtek drivers

uninstalled and reinstalled the device

put the pc to sleep and started up again

I think that I have tried everything that I have seen listed as a suggestion in the various threads but I still have the red circle/white cross on my volume control and when I right click and select "open volume mixer" it says "no audio device is installed" - but I look in device manager and it lists "Realtek High Definition Audio" under the "Sound, video and game controllers" and when I click properties it says it is working correctly.

Is there anything else that I can do to fix this?

OS = Win Vista Home Premium, SP1

Sunday, December 26, 2010 9:50 PM

Answers

• Thanks Matthew. It's a Dell Inspiron 531S. I tried the Dell site when updating drivers.

I have now resolved the issue by restoring to a much earlier save point even thought that means I have lost a bunch of programs/updates. I'll work through these one by one with a restore point at each until I find the change that caused the problem.

Thanks

Richard

• Marked as answer by rswh66 Monday, December 27, 2010 10:02 PM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 10:01 PM

All replies

• What make and model of computer do you have?  The best place to get audio drivers is from the support site of the PC manufacturer.

Matthew van Eerde
    • Marked as answer by rswh66 Monday, December 27, 2010 9:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rswh66 Monday, December 27, 2010 9:55 PM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Thanks Matthew. It's a Dell Inspiron 531S. I tried the Dell site when updating drivers.

I have now resolved the issue by restoring to a much earlier save point even thought that means I have lost a bunch of programs/updates. I'll work through these one by one with a restore point at each until I find the change that caused the problem.

Thanks

Richard

• Marked as answer by rswh66 Monday, December 27, 2010 10:02 PM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Okeydokey.  If the problem turned out to be a bad driver coming down from Windows Update, let me know and I can try to get it pulled.

Matthew van Eerde
    Monday, December 27, 2010 10:16 PM