none
Driver Bug - Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500

Question

• Is this the right forum to report a driver bug?  I will certainly report this where needed...

I have an MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 connected to a multi boot machine that runs, among others, WinXP and Win7.  I have noticed that when I run Win7 and then reboot to WinXP, the mouse wheel is "too hot", scrolling far too fast.  The only way to fix this is to do a power off reset of the mouse (meaning the computer).

I wrote some code with Visual Studio and looked at the WM_MOUSEWHEEL event.  I discovered that the wheel delta, HIWORD(wParam), is normally +/- 120, but it changes to +/- 1920 when I run Win7 and then come back to WinXP.  Running the same code inside of Win7, I get +/- 120 as expected, but then I get the 16 times multiplier when I go back to WinXP without a power off/on reset.

I suspect that a device register is being changed in the Win7 driver.  This is OK.  What I really suspect is that the register is not being initialized properly in the WinXP driver.

OK.  Now that I have explained this, again, is this the right forum to report this bug to MS, or should I go elsewhere, and if elsewhere, where?  Thanks.

Alex

Alex
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:00 PM

Answers

• not really the right forum, but as a first step i would make sure that the intellipoint software is installed under both OS installs

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by AWinGuru Monday, December 12, 2011 4:11 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:54 AM

All replies

• not really the right forum, but as a first step i would make sure that the intellipoint software is installed under both OS installs

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by AWinGuru Monday, December 12, 2011 4:11 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:54 AM
  • It turns out that there was no bug.  Following up on Doron's suggestion to make sure that MS Intellipoint was installed on both sides, I discovered that it was not installed on the WinXP side.  Now, everything works correctly when I switch back and forth.  Thank you Doron.

Alex

Alex
    Monday, December 12, 2011 4:11 PM