none
What to use between native wifi api, DeviceIOControl, WMI to access NIC(network interface card)

Question

• I have seen some example to connect/disconnect and query the data from NIC with all the above three method.

I know that native wifi api is upper layer and WMI is closer to NDIS miniport driver and DeviceIOControl(OID query) is more closer to miniport device driver but I want to is there any limitation in using native wifi API dll.

Any docuement releated to this topic which describe the difference in usage of above three model will really help me.

I need this information as I am writing a wireless manager to connect with AP and once it is connect then I need to query the IP address and signal strength to display it.

I guess I can able to do all this using native wi fi dll.

let me know if I am wrong

Abhishek

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 9:21 PM

All replies

• With net Library you should be able to use any legacy dll.Native dll do not have added protection built in to handle all exceptions, so poorly written legacy software may produce unmaged interupts. so you may want to add Marshal Class methods to protect the unmanaged code, or you can just add the dll as a reference to your project.  You should specifiy what version of Net Library or compiler was used to generate the dll which would make a difference in the methods you use to call the library functions.

jdweng

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Hey thanks for your quick response but my question is not about how to use native dl to work in my project.

My intention of creating this thread to get information about which of the best method from mentioned three technique to work with wireless adapter.

Abhishek

Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I will move this thread to Windows Desktop SDK, you can get better support there.

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 11, 2013 6:16 AM
  • Thanks, Sorry I thought this is the correct forum list...

Abhishek

Friday, January 11, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

From the information you provided, the issue you talking is related to Destop app development, here are more professionals on this issue, so you can get better help here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 11, 2013 7:11 AM
  • AFAIK on Win7+, combination of native wi-fi API and IP helper API is what you need (though possibly not _all_ you need). Subset of wlan API back-ported to WinXP is very crippled, so there goes all the rest of what you've mentioned.

Regards,

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Monday, January 14, 2013 12:30 AM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 12:29 AM
  • thanks for replying in this post.

So do I need to use combination of DevioIOControl and WlanAPI for wi fi manager??

Abhishek

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:19 AM
  • You should not need any ioctls on Win7+ unless you have to address hardware specific features of some wifi adapters.

-- pa

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Thanks alot for your input:

Actually I forgot to mention about my application :  I am writing a Wi Fi manager, which should do following task :
    1. Query for list of NIC(network interface card) present in system

2. Based on the user selection of NIC, query for available wi fi devices in range

3. Establish Connection with wifi device(for example router/Embedded Device)

4. once connected then get the signal strength , IP Address etc.

So as per my understanding I can do above specified task using Native WiFi DLL.

Apart from this I have one more question :

Suppose I am not using an inbuilt NIC then can I use the same native wi fi DLL to access external NIC(NIC connected using USB to system)

Abhishek

Monday, January 14, 2013 8:27 PM
  • So is there any prerequisite for wlan api to use in win7 PC?

Any specific thing which I need to verify should be present in system.

Abhishek

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:32 AM
  • So is there any prerequisite for wlan api to use in win7 PC?

Just try it ...

-- pa

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:42 AM