cdrom.sys - Cannot recognize DVD Drive

Question

• I installed Windows Vista RC2 (Build 5744) on a totally fresh new HDD, and everything went fine.... I installed many games, went fine...... Then I tried to install Alcohol 120% to mount  one of my backed up games I had not burnt yet.... Then it suddenly shut down.

Since then I have been unable to see my NEC ND-2500A, and if I insert a disc it is like it is unable to read it. It makes no attempt to read a disc what so ever.

If anyone can help me I would be very grateful....

Many Thanks, (in advance)

Ben

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 2:38 PM

Answers

• Hello Ben!

My best guess is that a filter driver was installed that is causing the device stack for your burner to break (which could be caused by a myriad of reasons).

There is a KB article which contains help on removing filter drivers:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314060&x=12&y=13

Instead of deleting them, to make sure this fixes the issue, just rename the keys to UpperFiltersOLD and LowerFiltersOLD, that way you can restore them if this doesn't help.  This will break whatever applications depend on these filters...so if this does fix the issue, then you can go through and check each filter one by one to see which is causing the issue and only remove that one (and break the smallest number of apps possible).

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need more assistance with this issue!

thanks,

Garrett Jacobson
    SDE, Optical Platform Group

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 6:49 PM
  • Hey Mickyrodge and john eades,

I'm glad to hear that this resolved your issue!

The unfortunate side effect is that whatever applications were depending on these filter drivers may no longer function properly.  Hopefully these applications will release fixes for their filter drivers.  However, first, let's try and narrow down which driver is causing the issue so that if you had two installed and only one is causing an issue, you can keep the other one installed and minimize the applications you will effect...

NOTE:

you may want to export the entire registry key before you start renaming things again, just in case you accidentally make a change and forget how to undo it, you can restore the CD-ROM class key...you can do this by right clicking on the long GUID ({xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxx-...}) and selecting Export and saving it to a safe place.

Essentially, you want to go look at the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry keys and see how many names are listed in each.  If there is only one name listed between the two, then there was only one filter driver installed and it must be the filter driver causing the issue.

However, if UpperFilters has two names in it, then you want to remove one and leave the other in and reboot the machine and see if the drive works.  If you can boot the machine and the drive works with that filter driver listed in the UpperFilters list, then it's ok to stay there.  However, there should be one filter driver that when you add it back into the UpperFilters key the driver stops working (after a reboot), that is the filter driver that is causing the issue!  It is possible there are multiple filter drivers causing the issue, but most likely it is just one.

Once you have determine which filter driver is causing the issue, take the name of the filter driver and append a .sys .. so if the name causing an issue was FooBar in the UpperFilters (or LowerFilters) key, then do an internet search for FooBar.sys and you should be able to determine what applications use this filter driver and you can try searching for a newer version of the application that has hopefully fixed this issue...

please let me know if this doesn't work or you have any questions!

thanks,

Garrett Jacobson

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:46 PM
  • Oh, people! Seems, i found a solution!

I just installed new SPTD driver v1.49beta, and it resolves all problems!

But it still beta version, and have some bugs. But it really works Smile

http://www.duplexsecure.com

http://disc-tools.com/download/sptdbeta

Sergey Semenov

Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:05 PM

All replies

• the place to ask technical support queries for Windows Vista (these forums are for software development) would be here:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

Thanks

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 2:41 PM
  • Hello Ben!

My best guess is that a filter driver was installed that is causing the device stack for your burner to break (which could be caused by a myriad of reasons).

There is a KB article which contains help on removing filter drivers:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314060&x=12&y=13

Instead of deleting them, to make sure this fixes the issue, just rename the keys to UpperFiltersOLD and LowerFiltersOLD, that way you can restore them if this doesn't help.  This will break whatever applications depend on these filters...so if this does fix the issue, then you can go through and check each filter one by one to see which is causing the issue and only remove that one (and break the smallest number of apps possible).

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need more assistance with this issue!

thanks,

Garrett Jacobson

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 6:49 PM
  • Hi Garrett,

I have a similar problem: I have an XPC Barebones SD37P2 with a PIONEER DVD-RW DVD-111D ATA installed. During a recent Vista update the driver (or registry) has become corrupted. Microsoft Vista could not find an online solution. A volume error check did not resolve the problem. The problem however is that the driver is Microsoft's (cdrom.sys), generic and undamaged ; as I am able to copy the driver into another folder; yet Windows will not let me recopy the driver back into the System32\drivers folder. This is then, by all evidence, a registry problem.

I tried finding "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}"

in Regedit, but no such animal.

I also have the same problem with the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface driver which is MS's  Tun Miniport Adapter.

Please advise.
    Thursday, April 05, 2007 9:50 AM
  • Hello aak001,

It is expected behavior that you cannot overwrite cdrom.sys in the System32\drivers folder since that file is protected as a windows resource file...

However, the fact that you cannot find the CD-ROM class key would definitely cause an issue as that is what tells the device installation framework to load the cdrom driver for those types of devices.  How it could have disappeared, I can't even begin to speculate: i've never heard of it being removed before. 

Unfortunately, I don't really understand the scenario well enough to offer any advice except to agree with you and say that it sounds like there is some kind of registry issue (or possibly a deeper issue) going on.  If you try to provide more details on exactly what you're seeing and what you mean by "The problem however is that the driver is Microsoft's (cdrom.sys), generic and undamaged The problem however is that the driver is Microsoft's (cdrom.sys), generic and undamaged" then maybe I can try to better assist you!

thanks,

Garrett Jacobson

Thursday, April 05, 2007 5:26 PM
  • Hi Garrett

I have just encountered the same problem on my Advent laptop (1 month old!). I get a "drivers corrupt or damaged" when I click on the device in CP, but when I look elsewhere the system tells me all is well... if I try to update the drivers I am told that I have the latest drivers! I get an error "code 39" if that sheds any light on the problem.

Just wanted to burn a data cd for work too... sod's law I guess... was working fine last week!!!!

Cheers

John

Thursday, May 03, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Hi. Im glad i'm not the only one. I bought an HP 7755 Media Centre with Vista Home premium less than 2 wks ago. All was fine for a week, then suddenly the cd drive quit quoting code 39. telling me i had a corrupt driver. But Microsoft says its fine.

Dont know whether its significant but it happend just after i downloaded and installed itunes. Im not that knowledgeable.

And what has got me slightly concerned is when trying to restore to an earlier date, the restore didnt work either. Just a polite notice with a BIG red X.

So now i have a fairly empty 400 gig HD and now way of filling it!!

In retrospect I should have taken a friends expert advice and waited to buy Vista when the first service pack came out!!

Bugger...
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Hello Mickyrodge and john eades,

I'm sorry you guys are having issues with your optical drives!  I am pretty sure that you guys are not having the EXACT same issue that was initially reported and believe I can help you resolve this issue!. 

A code 39 is typically not caused by the operating system but instead happens when a third party application has attempted to install a filter driver for optical devices and it is failing to load.  This causes the entire device to fail, often with a code 39, 37, 31, or 19. 

The way to verify this is the issue is to follow the instructions in the following KB article to disable the UpperFilters and LowerFilters for optical drives.  Instead of following the KB article exactly and deleting the registry keys, I would rename them to UpperFiltersOLD and LowerFiltersOLD that way you can restore them if necessary.  The KB article is located at: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314060&x=12&y=13.  If you have any issues, please let me know and I can help you try and remove the filter drivers...

If that fixes it, I can also assist you with directions on figuring out specifically which filter driver is causing the issue (in case there is more than one installed) and we can only remove that one and limit the impact of the fix....

Please let me know if you have any further questions or how the fix goes...

thanks,

Garrett Jacobson

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:50 PM
  • Hi Garrett,

I finally resolved the issue some time back by reinstalling Vista as an "upgrade" to the already installed Vista (strange, no?), which corrected the situation without removing any program files.

If anybody else is in the same situation and hasn't the technical knowhow and temerity to fiddle with OS innards, this would be the most painless operation, costing only the hour of upgrade. I should suggest doing it from an already open session, allowing necessary update downloads; then a complete cleanmgr removal of the old files that MS still keeps--a whopping total of 9 gigabytes.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:30 AM
  • Hi Garrett.

Did what you said, found the filters and renamed then as opposed deleting, and the 'optical drive' appears to be working again.

I was a little bit synical at first as nothing like this tends to work for me. But faith i mustered and work it did!

Huge thanks for that Garrett.

You mentioned in your message that you could assist with figuring out which specific filter driver is causing the problem. I would welcome further help....if indeed it is required.

Thanks

Mickyrodge
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Garrett, followed your instructions (only had Lowerfilters displayed), renamed to Lowerfilters.old, rebooted and.... I can now backup my system!

You are a gentleman and a scholar... many thanks... I can now backup my scheme of work, lesson plans and lesson handouts!

Keep up the good work... and thanks once again.

John

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:37 PM
  • Hey Mickyrodge and john eades,

I'm glad to hear that this resolved your issue!

The unfortunate side effect is that whatever applications were depending on these filter drivers may no longer function properly.  Hopefully these applications will release fixes for their filter drivers.  However, first, let's try and narrow down which driver is causing the issue so that if you had two installed and only one is causing an issue, you can keep the other one installed and minimize the applications you will effect...

NOTE:

you may want to export the entire registry key before you start renaming things again, just in case you accidentally make a change and forget how to undo it, you can restore the CD-ROM class key...you can do this by right clicking on the long GUID ({xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxx-...}) and selecting Export and saving it to a safe place.

Essentially, you want to go look at the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry keys and see how many names are listed in each.  If there is only one name listed between the two, then there was only one filter driver installed and it must be the filter driver causing the issue.

However, if UpperFilters has two names in it, then you want to remove one and leave the other in and reboot the machine and see if the drive works.  If you can boot the machine and the drive works with that filter driver listed in the UpperFilters list, then it's ok to stay there.  However, there should be one filter driver that when you add it back into the UpperFilters key the driver stops working (after a reboot), that is the filter driver that is causing the issue!  It is possible there are multiple filter drivers causing the issue, but most likely it is just one.

Once you have determine which filter driver is causing the issue, take the name of the filter driver and append a .sys .. so if the name causing an issue was FooBar in the UpperFilters (or LowerFilters) key, then do an internet search for FooBar.sys and you should be able to determine what applications use this filter driver and you can try searching for a newer version of the application that has hopefully fixed this issue...

please let me know if this doesn't work or you have any questions!

thanks,

Garrett Jacobson

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:46 PM
  • Hi Garrett

The only change made between my burner working and not was installation of Realplayer! I know realplayer has been a pain in the butt in the past... but thought... well, you know what thought did! Smile

I uninstalled aforementioned before running through regedit... mainly as don't trust Realplayer really and I only wanted it for a radio station I was picking up! <sigh>. Normally Realpain... I mean player doesn't uninstall correctly and leaves bit's in the reg... rather like pulling a tick from a dog! all seems ok, perhaps they finally got the message about people being fed up with the "pants" uninstaller!

All ok now... is realplayer going back on my laptop... erm let me give that 1 milliseconds thought.. no! Smile

Thanks again

J.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:29 PM
  • I have a dvdwriter Samsung SH-S182F. The driver is recognized, but none of the discs are recognized. I have another cdrom drive which too had the same problem. However after removing the lowerfilters and upperfilters key the old drive(master) started working. But the new dvdwrite that I added( as slave) is still not recognizing any discs.

Please help!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:40 AM
  • Hi all,

I am having a similiar problem... DVD/CD ROM is working fine then out of nowhere it won't recognise DVD discs but CD works fine. When I insert a disc it doesn't even spin up properly and then tells me to insert a disc and ejects.

I tried removing the filters in the registry as instructed, no filter entries. I flashed the DVD drive with the latest Firmware, and upgraded the motherboard Bios. No joy, uninstalled the device ...reboot...etc no joy.

I then re-installed windows Vista Ultimate as an update... problem solved!!!!! DVD working...but then.... Windows was doing it's usual windows updates download and installs automatcially. I had a DVD actually playing in Media center during the time. Windows wanted to re-start, so I stopped the DVD, and then restarted the DVD to check something on the DVD.. When I restarted the DVD... problem returns, no re-boot nothing just seconds apart and a big fat poorly QA windows update looking guilty.

I tried un-installing the update but the story is the same. I am open to it been a hardware issue but am not convinced.

The offending update is below, it was the only update installed that day 

Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

Installation date: ‎20/‎05/‎2007 10:36 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to address an issue in storport.sys which results in a system crash when certain hardware configurations exist. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=80411

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com

The CD-ROM/DVD drive is a NEC DVDRM_ ND 3500AG ATA device from IO Data removed from USB drive case and put into a custom built tower. It has been working for months previously.

Will greatly appreciate any assistance.

Matt D

Sunday, May 20, 2007 3:49 AM
  • Garret,

I too had a code 39 and this article was very helpful in getting the drive working again.

I just renamed the upper and lower filters as "old", rebooted, and started playing cd's right away. 

Now here is my problem.  I read this entire thread 4 or 5 times and I am not understanding how to isolate the conflicting application and correct it.  I am not savvy enough to follow your instructions

from your post on 5-10  9:45 pm.

This is the first time I have ever used this forum (Ihave used the KB before).  I fixed the problem in 15 minutes.  I had been battling with the retailer, computer maker and DVD maker for 2 weeks.

But I still need to find the culprit.

Thanks,

Joe

Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Thirumane

When I installed a new DVDR in the 2nd slot on my Compaq I had the same problem.  It turned out that both drives needed the jumpers set at Cable Select - the master/slave thing no longer applied.

Joe

Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:31 AM
  • Hello Ladies & Germs,

This laptop (Dell Latitude D620, 1.8ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd) is running Vista 32bit Ultimate. DVD/Combo drive "suddenly" stopped functioning. Not immediately after the install of some software. Maybe 24hrs after install, but the system was stable and in use heavily after the installs. So "no problems" I figure.

List of Software installed prior to issue appearing:
    QuickTime 7.1.6
    Divx 6.4.3
    ArcSoft PhotoImpression 5

(These were installed to assist with what Media Player lacks unfortunately-Can't we just have a super Codec Pack that includes every stinking codec ever needed instead of being stubborn?)

Anyways, the issue kept telling me the drive was installed but had a corrupt driver. After about 45min I got sick or messing around so I backed up the registry and deleted the Upper & Lower filters. Closed regedit and unistalled/reinstalled the drive.

Worked like a "charm" as they say. Be cool my IT friends!

Here is the article on MS to see if you would like to check it out:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314060&x=12&y=13

Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:12 PM
  • I have the same symptoms, but this one does not work for me.  My registry does not contain the upperfilter/lowerfilter values as described in the referenced KB article.

My drive has never worked correctly since installing Vista Ultimate (32-bit or 64-bit - I've been through both).  In all cases, it works as a CD-RW drive, but it cannot recognize DVDs.

The drive is an LG GSA-4167B.  I contacted LG, and they said the drive is plug and play, so there are no drivers for it.  I guess it's "plug and play CDs" in Vista.

I have tried the drive immediately following a clean install of Vista and the symptoms are the same.

TIA.
    Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:35 AM
  • I just love you garret, whoever you are!! You solved my problem in a second after days of pain looking for somebody to help me on the net..now i can finally enjoy my new superpc.
    Thanks again
    Seba
    Thursday, June 07, 2007 12:12 AM
  • Hi! I have the same problem, but under Windows XP.

I installed Daemon Tools 4.09.1HE on newly installed WinXP (with all update packs). All my dvd drives worked normally. I turned on all emulation options (SafeDisk, SecureROM, Laserlock, RMPS) in Daemon Tools. And all my drives didn't worked after that! I turned off all this options - nothing happend, my drives still not worked. Then i rebooted my PC - and all my drives come work again! So, when i once turning these emulation options on, i need to reboot the PC to let work my dvd drives.

But when i installed Alcohol 120% my drives "died" for my PC. Uninstallation not helped. So i reinstalled Windows. I have the same effect  when installed SPTD driver (v.147, i had before v1.43).

There is no Lower and Upper Filters values in the registry.

Please, help me! It's very important for me!

Sergey Semenov

Sunday, June 17, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Oh, people! Seems, i found a solution!

But it still beta version, and have some bugs. But it really works Smile

Sergey Semenov

Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:05 PM
  •  Tyrotoxin wrote:

Oh, people! Seems, i found a solution!

But it still beta version, and have some bugs. But it really works

Sergey Semenov

Thanks Sergey! It worked.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Garrett,

Hello. I've been reading this thread, and it has helped me alot.

Thanks for the advice.

I renamed the LowerFilter and I got my optical drives back in scope.

The offending driver was "PxHelp20", and it is part of the Sonic Solutions catalog.

I have contacted Sonic to find out if there is an update for the driver, and am awaiting their response.

By the way, the Microsoft Guided Help for making registry changes was cool and very reassuring.

Thanks again.

Robert Schomburg

Saturday, July 07, 2007 12:41 PM
  • Thanks Garrett,
    I had a similar problem and this has solved it!
    Mike
    Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:50 PM