none
How do I pair a Bluetooth Low Energy device with a Windows 8 machine?

Question

• Been attempting to run the Bluetooth Low Energy sample code desribed in Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) Generic Attribute (GATT) Profile Drivers on the msdn web site.

The instructions say that in order to install the sample drivers, I must first 'Perform regular pairing operations with the device by going to the Device and Printers folder, Add a Device Wizard, and add the device.'. These instructions do not seem to map directly to the Windows 8 user interface, which is what I am using. Anyway, I am able to see my Bluetooth Low Energy device(TI Keyfob) when I click on 'Add a device', but after a bit of a delay, I invariably get a 'That didn't work' message.

And when I expand the Bluetooth node in the Device Manager, I do not see my Bluetooth LE device. I do see a Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator, a Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator, and an Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 + High Speed Adapter. I tried this with some third party BLE devices on two different Windows 8 machines with the same unsuccessful result.

So how am I supposed to pair my BLE device with a Windows 8 machine? My main test machine is a Dell XPS 12 running Windows 8.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:14 PM

Answers

• My TI SensorTag paired with my Windows 8.1 PC just fine (using the normal modern UI, "Change PC Settings" -> "PC and Devices" -> "Bluetooth"). It asked for a passcode and I entered "ti", so if 0 also works then maybe anything works.

I am using a USB bluetooth dongle with a BT 4.0 capable Broadcom chip in it, and Windows automatically selected the Broadcom driver for it.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:50 AM

All replies

• We managed to get the TI Keyfobdemo device to pair successfully with Windows 8. However, we get the 'That didn't work' error message when we attempt to pair with the TI SensorTag hardware. Does anyone know why pairing fails with the SensorTag, but succeeds with the keyfob?
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:49 PM
  • We managed to get the TI Keyfobdemo device to pair successfully with Windows 8. However, we get the 'That didn't work' error message when we attempt to pair with the TI SensorTag hardware. Does anyone know why pairing fails with the SensorTag, but succeeds with the keyfob?

Hi Elliot! Could you share how you successfully pair keyfob with Windows 8? I also tried to pair a BLE device with Windows 8 through built-in UI in Windows, and I was asked to enter a passcode, but it finally always failed and showed "Time's up". At the same time, nothing showed up on the BLE device.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:05 AM
  • Howdy!  I've got a couple of SensorTags, and they just pair in windows 8.1 (using a pin code of 0).  Press the button on the left to start the pairing process.  In my case, I always started from the Bluetooth screen in windows.

and on the store there's now two apps to connect.  Mine is Best TI SensorTag

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:41 PM
  • My TI SensorTag paired with my Windows 8.1 PC just fine (using the normal modern UI, "Change PC Settings" -> "PC and Devices" -> "Bluetooth"). It asked for a passcode and I entered "ti", so if 0 also works then maybe anything works.

I am using a USB bluetooth dongle with a BT 4.0 capable Broadcom chip in it, and Windows automatically selected the Broadcom driver for it.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Worked for me. Can I ask, out of interest as I need to get one, are you using a USB BT 4.0 dongle? if so, which dongle are you using?

I only ask my USB SMK-Link‏ VP6495 dongle doesn't show isn't showing Microsoft LE Enumerator (it's a CSR chip, but I'm running the MS stack)

Thanks

2010: Q6700 3GHz; 6GB DDRII; ~ 2.7TB internal; ATI RAEDON 5770 1GB @ Stock; Elixir Keyboard; Gigabyte GM-M6800; 2 x E173FPf 2005: 2GIG RAM, 3.6Ghz P4, 2 x 200gb SATA HD 8mb cache, 256mb 9950 ATI RADEON,19" LCD Core i7 3.2GHz, 6GB DDRIII, ASUS 512MB EN8800GT

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:24 PM