No active mixer device available error when I double click on my volume icon

Question

• Someone had posted a good reply concerning going to control panel/system etc. and it worked for me once, but somehow it doesn't now and I can't turn down the volume.  He told me that even though it looked like it was all right in that system, that sometimes it isn't.  I got a really good answer but didn't keep it...please help!  Restoring system not an option.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:42 PM

Answers

All replies

•  This forum is for Media Foundation development questions.

If you need technical support for Windows Vista you should visit the Windows Vista community site

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/community/default.mspx

There you will find a link to the Windows Vista newsgroups

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

The TechNet forums also cover general Vista questions

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:15 PM
  • I don't have Vista.  I have Windows XP.  Where should I go?
    Friday, May 25, 2007 9:29 PM
  • The TechNet is still a good resource for XP.  Additional technical support for XP is available at: http://support.microsoft.com/winxp
    Friday, May 25, 2007 9:49 PM
  • Did you ever find out what to do about this?  I am having the very same problem.

My direct e-mail is richcohan@aol.com

thanks.  Rich

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Go to your control panel - click on Administrative Tools - then Services - then go down your list until you find Windows Audio - and click on left side - Start this service....   then close everything up.  I used to have to do this every time I shut my computer off but for some strange reason, it works again by itself...go figure.  Hope this helps for you.  Let me know.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:08 PM
  • That was a great tip. you are the first person i have read that from and it bloody works.. music back on!! hala frickin luya
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:55 PM
  • You are certainly welcome.  I can't believe everyone is sending us all around the world looking for an answer when such a simple reply will suffice.  Pass it on.....sounds like you are from over the pond....cheerio!
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:38 PM
  • yes thank you. i've been having this problem for awhile THANK YOU!
    Friday, June 22, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Hi, I tried the same on my Windows XP, but unfortunately it is not showing start/stop option at all on my services->Windows Audio service option. What should I do? Could any one help on this? Cheers, Prabha.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 4:11 AM
  • I tried it and it didnt work. When I go to volume control a window appears saying " There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware." I tried it and don't know what to do. I tried the administrative tools trick and it said it is started. Can someone help me.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:58 AM
  • I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM??? I REALLY NEED SOME HELP ON THIS.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 12:45 PM
  • I tried this, but received an Error: 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start. 

Any suggestions as to why this happened?

Sunday, October 07, 2007 5:20 PM
  • what do i do to get a active sound divice free

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:51 PM
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH!  Texas Jen, you rock!  I have sound better than ever now, all thanks to your advice!!  I am SO glad I found this info! THANKS AGAIN!!
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 7:47 AM
  • Please i need help on getting the active mixer device installed on my system. Can somebody just help me out please?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:41 AM
  • when I double click the volume

---------------------------
    Volume Control
    There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

This program will now close.
    If anyone help me please reply me

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 4:42 PM
  •  marckashu wrote:
    I tried it and it didnt work. When I go to volume control a window appears saying " There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware." I tried it and don't know what to do. I tried the administrative tools trick and it said it is started. Can someone help me.

I'm having the same exact problem... and I reinstalled my audio device and nothing happened and I checked under the administrative tools and it was started. also, anytime I get an alert I hear a beep... it gets really annoying

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:11 AM
  • There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

Microsoft has this nasty habit of causing certain functions of your computer to stop working when you don't update as regularly as they'd like, with all their purportedly "mandatory" updates.

If they'd just NOT screw with your computer when you're a little behind on updates, maybe people wouldn't always be so reluctant to get XP, and more likely to get Linux.

I hear system sounds, just not anything else. Thanks a lot, Bill Gates! You're SURE to win over Linux by bullying us into installing your sponsors' files!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:12 PM
  • I really don't know about the response up above, but I have a soulution that *****REALLY WORKS*****!!!  I had no sound for a week, and drove myself crazy looking for a solution, until I found the fix on another website.  If you have a Dell PC like me, simply go to dell.com.  If you have another PC go to the website of that manufacturer.  At dell.com I typed "audio driver" in their search bar.  I'm sure you can do the same at any other manufacturers website.  It asked me for my service tag number.  It then brought up a list of all the drivers that were available for my PC.  There was only one for audio, so I clicked on it and then clicked on download now.  It instantly began to install the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio that was somehow kicked out of my hard drive.  After the install you have to restart your computer.  Wow, it is so nice to have sound again.  Thank You Lord!!!

Saturday, July 05, 2008 7:45 AM
  • you are a genius! thanks a million. There should be some sort of Noble prize for answers as seamless and painless as this. You've got my vote anyway.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:34 AM
  • I followed all the troubleshoter adviced, and still I get no sound; problem with the play bakc device. Do you know what can I do? Thanks..

lectio

Sunday, November 30, 2008 7:51 PM
  • i had the same issue and this reply on my yahoo group helped

"What you have to do is
    Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
    and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
    status," start is selected.

Hope this helps! Good luck."

best of luck

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 5:15 PM
  • I have an IBM PC desktop, and I went to the IBM website and found the same audio driver "SoundMAX". I tried to install it but later found another error pop-up message saying "Driver not found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again" I restarted my computer several times, and retried, but no luck! PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME...I tried everything, I've had no audio for almost half a year already!  H-E-L-P please! 

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Hi.. My audio stopped working all in a sudden.. Sound device is working properly and enabled. Reinstalled Driver but it didn't bring back sound. "Sound and Audio Device" under control panel is greyed out. I've also tried to look into Window services and can't find "Window Audio" listed. "sndvol32.exe" is not running (not in the active processes list). When I clicked on "sndvol32.exe" it kept telling me there are no active mixer controls..

At first I thought maybe the sound card on the mother board was broken.. so I bought an Audigy sound card (pcmcia slot).. I installed the driver and everything seemed fine and it said it is working properly too.. but still no sound.. all symptoms above still existed.

I also tried the "expand" command with the sndvol32.ex_ file from my XP installation CD.. still doesn't work.

I went to microsoft's support page and tried their suggestion by adding "drivers=mmsystem.dll" into the boot system.ini file.. still nothing works.

I am really frustrated at this point and not sure what else could have gone wrong!

Hopefully someone from here can shed some light.

thanks a lot
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:50 PM