none
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Question

• Hello! I recently installed the new win 8 beta and I am excited about it so far, but there is only one issue that I experience in the win 8 beta that I did not experience in windows 7 pro. The issue is this error that appearing in the device manager for the device adapters (my AMD Radeon HD 6490M series video card device) <This device cannot start. (Code 10)> and I have been googling for hours in order to find a solution but I can't find any solution that fix this problem. I have updated bios, uninstalled the device in order to let the computer rediscover the partitian, I have installed drivers manually and automatically (With MS update and downloaded files from hp driver download) and I have checked bios for options such as vga\dvi options. Is there a spesific thing that I must do in order to fix this problem?

• Edited by Frodegp Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:28 AM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• which specific device driver won't start? for what device?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 5:16 AM
    Owner
  • It's for my AMD Radeon HD 6490M series video card device. In general it says <This device cannot start. (Code 10)> and under resources it says <This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem>
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 5:41 AM
  • Frodegp wrote:
    >
    >Hello! I recently installed the new win 8 beta and I am excited about it so
    >far, ...

It's not a beta.  It is a "consumer preview".  Windows 8 is not even to the
    beta stage yet.

>but there is only one issue that I experience in the win 8 beta that I did
    >not experience in windows 7 pro. The issue is this error that appearing in
    >the device manager for the device adapters <This device cannot start.
    >(Code 10)> and I have been googling for hours in order to find a solution

It did not occur to you to mention what device is causing this?

Did you try to install an older driver, perhaps?  Did you move from 32-bit
    to 64-bit?  On the other hand, it's entirely possible you simply found a
    bug.  This is, after all, a pre-beta preview.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts, VC++ MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:03 AM
  • I have tried installing and older driver and I have also tried to move from 32-bit to 64-bit. I gues it's very possible that it's just a bug.
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:28 AM
  • try the latest drivers which are supposedly compatible with the win8 consumer preview, http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Windows8ConsumerPreviewDrivers.aspx

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:57 PM
    Owner