none
Can't create new folders in Windows 7

Question

• I have recently experienced the inability to create new folders at any level on my local drive. I have tried the SFC.EXE and it had no affect. I have tried the on line Folder Fix from Microsoft. I have created a new user and the problems still remains.
    Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:38 AM

All replies

• To See if a Fix is Available

In Control Panel (and select Classic view in the left hand pane) choose Problem Reports and Solutions (type problem in Start's search box), go to Problem History, right click your error and choose Check For Solution.

You may also right click and choose Details for more info. Post those details here. The Fault Module Name is the important information.

Close Explorer and Start a Command Prompt
    • Close any Explorer windows
    • Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator.
    • Click Start. Ctrl + Shift + Right click a blank spot (just above the power buttons is one place) then Exit Explorer.
    • Press Ctrl + Shift + Escape
    • Check all explorer processes are closed. On the Process tab select explorer and right click and choose End Process, repeat if more than one explorer in the list.

Then to restart explorer after trying each of the following
    • In Task Manager click the File menu then New Task (Run) and type explorer
    Reregister the Shell's Registry Entries

Close Explorer as above then type in the command prompt (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

regsvr32 /i shell32
    regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 RPCRT4.dll
    regsvr32 PROPSYS.dll
    regsvr32 MSCTF.dll
    regsvr32 cscui.dll
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 timedate.cpl
    regsvr32 ATL.DLL
    regsvr32 OLEACC.dll
    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 USERENV.dll
    regsvr32 msshsq.dll
    regsvr32 NaturalLanguage6.dll
    regsvr32 thumbcache.dll
    regsvr32 WINTRUST.dll
    regsvr32 MMDevAPI.DLL
    regsvr32 audioses.dll
    regsvr32 audioeng.dll
    regsvr32 ExplorerFrame.dll
    regsvr32 msi.dll
    regsvr32 FirewallAPI.dll
    regsvr32 netshell.dll
    regsvr32 pnidui.dll
    regsvr32 QUtil.dll
    regsvr32 wpdshserviceobj.dll
    regsvr32 WINHTTP.dll
    regsvr32 QAgent.dll
    regsvr32 PortableDeviceApi.dll
    regsvr32 wbemprox.dll
    regsvr32 wbemsvc.dll
    regsvr32 fastprox.dll
    regsvr32 imapi2.dll
    regsvr32 wshext.dll
    regsvr32 gameux.dll
    regsvr32 msxml6.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 wshext.dll
    regsvr32 wshom.ocx
    regsvr32 wshcon.dll
    regsvr32 scrrun.dll

Delete Folder Settings

Close Explorer as above then type in the command prompt (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell" /f

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams" /f

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2" /f

Delete The Thumbnail and Icon Caches

del "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db"

del "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\*.db"

A Clean Boot for Explorer

It might be caused by a shell extension.

Explorer is built on addin programs called Shell Extensions. The standard ones are supplied by Microsoft but programs add their own.

Some people report that their virus checkers warn about this web site. The software is perfectly fine.
    • Download http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
    • Close any Explorer windows
    • Start ShExView by right clicking and choose Run As Administrator
    • Disable all non Microsoft shell extensions
    • Click Start. Ctrl + Shift + Right click a blank spot (just above the power buttons is one place) then Exit Explorer.
    • Check all explorer processes are closed. On the Process tab select explorer and right click and choose End Process, repeat if more than one explorer in the list.
    • Click the File menu then New Task (Run) and type explorer
    and if it helps, reenable one by one to identify which one.

--
    --
    "tmosely" wrote in message news:1fb365d5-f068-4003-a0db-ba6bb1556130...
    I have recently experienced the inability to create new folders at any level on my local drive. I have tried the SFC.EXE and it had no affect. I have tried the on line Folder Fix from Microsoft. I have created a new user and the problems still remains.

David Candy
    Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:21 AM
  • I have recently experienced the inability to create new folders at any level on my local drive. I have tried the SFC.EXE and it had no affect. I have tried the on line Folder Fix from Microsoft. I have created a new user and the problems still remains.
    What error you are getting. The user you added does not have admin privilege. Add the user in Administrators Group.

Thanks, Renjith V R

Friday, April 12, 2013 11:22 AM