none
directshow source filter for ip camera

Question

• hello, i'm hoping that someone will be able to help me.  i would like to use windows media encoder to stream video from an ip camera or network camera.  but since ip cameras doesn't connect directly to a computer, i'm not able to see the device in WME.  i've seen 1 example of someone that wrote a custom source filter for Axis brand ip camera, i'm using another brand called vivotek.

so, can someone please let me know how difficult it is to write a source filter and if it's possible to write this code for all cameras or it will depend on what the ip camera supports. 

any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 5:43 PM

All replies

• Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if they offer a directshow filter?

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 5:09 PM
  • Vivotek.  Their ip servers where *** from what I remember.  What DVR company do you work for?  Anyways, ip camera (m-jpeg) filter is pretty simple if you are familiar with directshow.  Download the Directshow Project templates for VS.Net and create a new source filter.  You will have to write the code to parse the m-jpeg stream, and as far as decode goes, a m-jpeg decoder filter comes with directshow.  I have made a few of these filters recently and are relatively simple.

For what you are trying to do, I would just skip WME all together and just use the WMF SDK.  Have your code receive/parse the m-jpeg stream and pump them through the WMF writer, optionally transcoding them to a windows media codec.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

Did you ever manage to get this working with WMS and an Axis IP camera ?

Cheers

Justin

Friday, June 22, 2007 10:31 AM
  • What model of Axis are you using?
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:29 PM
  • If you go the the Axis website, they offer an sdk for most of their servers/cameras. You can send out as mjpg or mpeg4 compression. They have samples for anything you would need to do.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:12 PM
  • I'm also looking for a DirectShow solution for Axis.  Yes, Axis has a couple of SDKs to do various types of things with their cameras, but I'm trying to get data from the camera directly.  This will allow me to access not only Axis cameras, but cameras from other manufacturers which also transfer video data over RTP.

I have gotten to the point where I can get MPEG-4 data (actually MP4V-ES data) from the camera via RTP, but after that, I don't know what to do with that data.  It's a compressed MPEG-4 video stream, but I don't have any DirectShow filters that know how to handle it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:33 PM
  • ffdshow has an mpeg 4 decoder that will work with the axis camera output, based on the ffmpeg libraries.

G

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:29 AM
  • Since I am not familiar with directshow, I don't know exactly how to write a source filter which receives m-jpeg stream and decodes it with m-jpeg decoder filter. Can you give me some suggestions how to start and do it.

Fatih
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:09 PM
  • Axis provides a DirectShow source filter and decoder for their Mpeg-4 stream.
    Friday, July 06, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Does anyone have any simple code that would use this DirectShow with an axis camera?  It would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Saturday, December 07, 2013 3:01 AM