none
the filename,directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

Question

•  

dear frnds,

when iam editing batch or ini file by right click edit it shows the error message as

"the filename,directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

pls provide any solution to solve this issue

regards,

ram.n

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:43 AM

Answers

• Hello Ram.N

This is from TechNet:

Explanation:

The system does not accept the keyboard combination Alt+0 through Alt+32 or the following characters: \\ \\ / [ ] : | < > + ; = . ? "

User Action:

Correct the file name or volume label and try the command again.

There is also a thread in the Visual C# IDE forum that talks about how these same characters appearing in parent file directories may cause a similar error.

I hope that this helps.

Eliot - MSFT

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:22 AM
  • In my case, I had a trojan that changed different settings on my computer, including registry keys. After removing the trojan I ran a program called SDFix to reset the settings that the trojan had changed. The program ran very well, but have a bug. When it reset the registry key used to edit batch files (*.bat) it set it as follow:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell\edit\command] = %SystemRoot%\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"

As you already probably notice there is lonley quote at the end of the value. Just delete that quote and you are done.

As always, you edit the registry at your own risk.

Regards,

Picus

Saturday, July 12, 2008 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hello Ram.N

This is from TechNet:

Explanation:

The system does not accept the keyboard combination Alt+0 through Alt+32 or the following characters: \\ \\ / [ ] : | < > + ; = . ? "

User Action:

Correct the file name or volume label and try the command again.

There is also a thread in the Visual C# IDE forum that talks about how these same characters appearing in parent file directories may cause a similar error.

I hope that this helps.

Eliot - MSFT

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:22 AM
  •  nram wrote:

dear frnds,

when iam editing batch or ini file by right click edit it shows the error message as

"the filename,directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

pls provide any solution to solve this issue

regards,

ram.n

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 1:56 PM
  • In my case, I had a trojan that changed different settings on my computer, including registry keys. After removing the trojan I ran a program called SDFix to reset the settings that the trojan had changed. The program ran very well, but have a bug. When it reset the registry key used to edit batch files (*.bat) it set it as follow:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell\edit\command] = %SystemRoot%\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"

As you already probably notice there is lonley quote at the end of the value. Just delete that quote and you are done.

As always, you edit the registry at your own risk.

Regards,

Picus

Saturday, July 12, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Dear Picus,

I just read your message and modified the registory setting as per your suggestion and it worked the very next momentSmile

Thank you so much for your solution; from couple of months, I have been struggling to find the solution for this issue.

Thnx again for your solutionSmile

Warm Regards,

Viral Rathod

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:03 AM
  • thanks a lot man, your answer was very useful, it worked ok in my pc.
    Friday, September 05, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Dear Frnds,

thnx, i done the registry setting, now is working fine for editing batch file. but still iam having the same issue in editing *.ini file. if any same fix for this pls provide the registry setting

Thanks,

Ram.N

Monday, September 08, 2008 4:39 AM
  • You'll find the following key having the same issue:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\inifile\shell\open\command] = %SystemRoot%\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"

Again, remove the lonely quote

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:49 AM
  • The hotfix mentioned in this KB article fixed these problems in my case. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943337

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Remove the " at the end of the path

It should read: %SystemRoot%\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:41 PM
  • awesome
    i tried another solution i read that had me deleting the %1 - it didn't work
    yours was great
    thank you
    now if I could only figure out how the problem occurred
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 4:14 AM
  • Thanks, It works.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Thanks Picus!
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:40 AM
  • dear picus,

in my case, i have saved my documents and files on my USB drive because i need to reformat my pc..after saving it, i did formatting my pc..but when i open my files on my USB, there are unreadable characters (ex. 0s g┴.
    £,) and when i open it, it says "the file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

i hope you have a solution regarding this matter.

brgds,

chaser21

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:15 AM
  • I am trying to install my Genius PenSketch M912 Tablet on Windows 7 64bit and get the following, how can I resolve this problem.

I have deleted the lonely quote but I till get the same error.

Regards Neville

Feature:               x64

Component:      SysWow64

File: <WINSYSDIR>\WinTab32.dll

Error: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax in incorrect.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:53 PM
  • This is not only because of a hijack to the registry as mentioned by other posts but also could happen when trying to copy files from a USB drive which comes from a Mac user (and possibly other OSs). 

A file named like this: "Dexter - 7x01 - Are You...?.mp4" can't be copied most likely because of the ?. 

Is there any way to resolve this? Renaming the file in the source drive does not work, because of the same command syntax behavior, for the move/rename, even tough that's a DOS behavior and we're in the 21st century.

Is there any solution or workaround to this? No Mac or non-Win devices at hand.

Rgds,

Sunday, September 29, 2013 12:45 AM
  • Hi Luis,

This is very off-topic for the Windows Desktop Development for Ink, Touch, and Tablet PC forum, which is about writing code using the ink and touch API.

You're much more likely to get an answer if you post in the appropriate forum for your OS on http://answers.microsoft.com

--Rob

Monday, September 30, 2013 1:21 AM
  • dude...all you gotta do is to rename the folder that your file is in...
    Saturday, November 02, 2013 8:29 AM