none
Vista - High CPU usage

Question

• Hello,

After installing Vista Ultimate, PC hangs for minutes due to high cpu usage, gets release for few seconds and than goes back to high CPU usage...

What can be the problem? What can be done? re-installation didnt help. HD is 70G.

Thanx

Monday, December 04, 2006 6:52 PM

All replies

• What's your computer's rating? Can you give us the details of it's rating? A really good graphics card helps relieve the CPU. Otherwise all the new graphic features can hit the proc hard. If thats the case you may wish to change Visual Effects or upgrade your graphics card.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 9:02 PM
  • Before i installed Vista, i run check the application that inspect my PC if its Vista ready. All was fine and confirmed, with same graphic card.

Anyhow, my card is Nvidia 6200, which is to my opinion strong enought.

Any other suggestions?

Thanx

Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:44 AM
  • I agree with "strong enought". Just curious what's the computer rating? How much RAM do you have? Do you get the same result if you go into safe mode? (Safe mode uses as few startup applications, services, and drivers as possible) I'm not suggesting safe mode is the solution, but it will let us know if turning off/disabling a startup app, service or diver could contribute to signifigant performance increase.

It sound like this box is an upgrade?
    Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:29 PM
  • You might try downloading from Microsoft the Process Explorer (here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx)) to see what's gobbling up cpu resources.  There is probably a similar tool built into Vista, but I don't know where it is.  And, I find this tool helpful in other situations.
    Saturday, January 06, 2007 11:55 AM
  •  

Just had to add to this thread,

I know its a bit risky being an early adopter of pre SP1 software from Microsoft but I have to say Vista has some serious issues.

I was quite happy with Vista until about 4 weeks ago when for no apparent reason CPu usage goes to 99%, processes like explorer and system hog all the cpu cycles making the environment unusable.

Process explorer just confirms the OS is screwed, now for the price and the promise of Vista I expected more.

The fact that this issue is plastered all over the web support forums with no resolution is very discouraging.

Whilst a few months ago I was supporting MS against Linux - I have to admit I was wrong...

I am now in the process of downloading Ubuntu which is free, it works and it doesnt need 4GB RAM..

MS need to watch out as these Linux OS's are coming of age and where possible I will not be promoting Vista anymore..

Vista = no confidence, no stability so is no longer a serious operating system.. Shame MS you had it all and now I think you've lost it..

Thursday, November 08, 2007 5:00 PM
  • I've been experiencing high CPU usage (>50%) by explorer for the past several weeks and just discovered the culprit. The setup file for Call of Duty 4 Demo! It's icon has been doing funky things since I d/l-ed it. I did some research on other forums and someone has traced it to CoD4MWdemosetup.exe. I just dropped it in the recycle bin and all is well. I hope this helps.

Friday, November 23, 2007 1:27 AM
  • hi all friends

i have the same problem

my system information:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Geforce 6200 TurboCache

2.5GB DDR Ram ( 2x1GB + 1x512MB )

2TB HDD ( 1x200GB HDD just for windows and program files )

i have the high cpu usage problem, specially when run the windows media player, even its not playing cpu usage reach 100% and when i close the program cpu usage back to normal. it occur with some softwares like VLC ( www.videolan.org)

anyone have a solution for this problem ?!

Friday, November 07, 2008 11:36 AM
  • This forum is for software development issues. If you think the software you are writing is not the cause of the performance problem, ask in a general Windows Vista forum/newsgroup.
    Friday, November 07, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Hi Again,

I have found a new solution for high cpu usage problem in windows vista.

I was searching for vista compatible drivers for my CPU and i found a page (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E9505,00.html) in this page some text said that "Please ensure that your motherboard BIOS is Windows Vista compliant" and than update my BIOS to the latest version.

It improve little bit the high cpu usage issue.

Find the latest BIOS version and update it, it maybe solve the problem.

Monday, November 17, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Well, I use a quality Intel motherboard with Core2 Duo technology cpu architecture.

I get the first cpu core railing to 100% randomly. Even with no visible applications displaying anything on the screen.
    Task manager shows the System Idle process running at 98% or so, and the desktop manager taking 1 or 2 %.

This can start up at any time and last for 15 seconds to a couple of minutes.

Very frustrating.
    Tuesday, December 09, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. Some days ago I completely reinstalled my Pc, because of this problem, but after 2 days the problem came again. So, I don't know what I can do. Maybe should be Microsoft to give us a solution....
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:42 PM
  • The problem its simple to solve. The high CPU usage comes from the desktop manager, some services of vista, and the Gadget Sidebar. My advice is this, go to task manager and close the proces - dwm.exe and sidebar.exe , this will lower dawn the Cpu usage, then go to Start>Run> and type in MsConfig,click continue.On the window that will apear go to Services and close these ones: Computer Browser , Offline Files,IP Helper,KtmRm for Disturbed ... , Server , Performance Logs & Alerts , IPsec Policy Agent ,Remote Access(both) ,Remote Registry,Smart Card Removal Policy,Secondary Logon,Windows Image Acquisition,Terminal Services,Disturbed Link Traking File,Windows REmote Management,Windows Media Player Netwark,Windows Update. You cand also close some other sevices that seem to you unsefull, such us Telepfony and so on. And the most important, Control Panel>Under Programs click Uninstal Programs,then in the left you will find Turn Windows Futures on and off, disable the last ones - Windows DSF , Windows Fax and Scan,Windows Meeting Space,Windows Proces Activation Service,Windows Ultimate Extras. This is all, i have the setings on my HP Laptop(Intel Celeron M-1.4Gh , 1g ram, Graphics onboard) , and naw it runs at 3%CPU usage, 380 Ram usage, and its the same Vista as befor. Hope this post will pe usefull for you as it did for me. See`ya!!!
    • Proposed as answer by tazmanpunk Tuesday, February 03, 2009 9:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 9:07 PM
  • Hey guys,

I have the same issue as most of you guys here. About a couple weeks ago out of nowhere my computer starts lagging. This first started happening when i was playing WC3 the game would suddenly lagg and i would alt tab and my cpu is up to 100%. Before 2 weeks ago the problem never happened. I reformated my computer, installed all updates including sp1 and the lagg came on faster and faster. i reformated again with no sp1 same problem. I just reformated again with no updates installed and hte lagg comes on maybe 40 minutes into the gme or sometimes after 2 games. and if i alt tab and refresh on desktop after a bit it coolsdown and after 2 min comes back again. i tried killing explorer.exe then opening it again wth run explorer.exe and that didnt solve anything. i tried iling explorer.exe and playing and it solved it for a bit but still had lagg after like 20 minutes or so.

Can someone please hlep me with m problem? i have a toshiba with onboard graphic, 945GM familychipset graphic card, intel. 2G of ram, and 1.73 GHz. I have already reformated like 3-4 times and i am getting sick of it.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

~Batal
    • Proposed as answer by wynandpb Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:33 PM
  • I have to agree with tazmanpunk. These machines come with so much junk in them and everything's running, the first thing I did when I gt mine was get rid of a lot of stuff. The second thing was set selective startup. With all the stuff I do have running I'm pleasantly surprised. There's only one thing still giving me a headache now. Everytime I open sidebar cpu usage stays glued at 100% and the clock doesn't work. Only solution I have found so far is do without. I kinda like that thing...
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 5:03 AM