none
Outlook 2007 "no default mail client" error

Question

•  

I installed the 4.0 Search preview on my Windows XP SP2 computer at home last night, and when I started Outlook 2007 this morning I got the error message "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request".  After this message, the Microsoft Outlook Connector and NewsGator Inbox add-ins for Outlook didn't work either.  However, if I quit the Desktop Search application (right-click on the tray icon and select "Exit") then Outlook 2007 and add-ins work fine.

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling search 4.0, but in case that doesn't work has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions about how to fix it?

Thursday, April 03, 2008 4:43 PM

All replies

•  

XP SP2 - all updates

Office 2007 SP1

I got the same message and also can't run Outlook Add-ins. In addition my Office is now asking for the install source and none of the office apps will launch

Monday, April 07, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Hi Jmetzner,

Is your exchange mailbox items getting indexed and are searchable?

Also, Do you have Office 2007 SP1 installed?

We are investigation this issue and will get back to you soon. If possible please leave the machine in the bad state so that we can get more information to get to the root cause.

Monday, April 07, 2008 10:36 PM
  • I am running Office 2007 SP1.  I'm not sure if the indexing and searching were working because I didn't leave 4.0 installed for long.  However, I can reinstall it at some point if it would help find the issue.
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 3:21 AM
  • That would be great!!

If you are able to repro the issue again can you please export the registry keys under the following path using RegEdit.exe and sent it to us via email.

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

Send the email to corpdsin{at}microsoft{dot}com - please reference this forum post in the subject line.

PS: You will have to rename the .reg file to .reg.txt files as the attachment will get blocked by the exchange server.

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 3:31 AM
  • I actually have a copy of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook key from when I had the problem because some of the potential solutions (that I didn't wind up using) I found via Google involved changing it.  I just emailed that file, and I'll try to make the time in the next day or so to reinstall and get the "Search.OutlookToolbar" key.
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 3:41 AM
  • I am assuming that you had WDS 3.01 installed previously and you did a upgrade.

So your issue went away as soon as you uninstalled WS 4.0 and installed WDS 3.01 again?

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Yes, I upgraded 3.01 to 4.0, then uninstalled 4.0 and reinstalled 3.01.  After I reinstalled 3.01, I had to reinstall the Outlook Connector and Newsgator Inbox add-ins to get them to work.  (I also tried reinstalling the add-ins while WDS 4.0 was installed but it didn't work.)
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 5:03 AM
  • Hi jmetzner,

We tried to repro this issue in-house but were not able to. 

We installed XP SP2 -> Outlook 2007 -> WDS 3.01 -> Microsoft Outlook Connector -> NewsGator Inbox add-in -> made sure all Outlook stores are indexing -> upgraded to WS4. Upon WS4 upgrade, all the three stores were indexing properly (Exchange, Hotmail, NewsGator) and we did not see the ""Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request" error message.

Let us know if you were able to repro this issue again.

Thanks,
    ~Saurabh

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 5:03 PM
  • My machine was ungraded to Office 2007 with Desktop as part of the load.  This message began to appear after uninstalling Windows Desktop 3.01. Desktop was not upgraded or reinstalled, just removed. Outlook works satisfactorily, but the message appear each time the program is loaded.

Windows XP professional SP2

Office 2007 SP1

Thanks,

Al

Update:

PS.  After all the above I have tried to synchronize My Palm Tungsten with Outlook, No Luck.  So I installed the Outlook 2007 patch from Palm.  Still will not synchronize. May or may not be related?

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:12 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.  I have XP SP2 and Office 2007 SP1 Enterprise installed (Outlook reports version 12.0.6300.5000).  I had version WDS 3.01 installed then I uninstalled it, rebooted, and then installed 4.0 Preview.  Now when starting Outlook I receive this message

I saw someone ask about the registry section.  I can export mine if someone still needs it.

Jim

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:17 AM
  •  

Same error here.  Have O2K7 Pro w/ SP1, installed on my PC through a custom package install that also deploys Search at the same time.  This morning I installed 4.0 Preview, rebooted.  After that I got the same "no default mail client" error and went about my business, but find plugins not functional (ZANTAZ EAS archive client in particular).  Reinstall of plugin failed, so I backed out of 4.0 Preview and rebooted.  Error persists, no search installed now at all.  Going to try a few more tweaks to try to get things back to normal.  Any ideas would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Add me to the list!

Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:31 AM
  • Invoking Office Diagnostics (2007) got rid of the problem on my machine. The error was found in the "Setup" section of the diagnostic routines and the logs of the errors were automatically sent to MS.

The problem was first noted sometime after installing (updating) the latest version of "Windows Desktop Search" and updating ZoneAlarm.

Friday, April 18, 2008 7:09 PM
  •  Tim O'Thy wrote:

Invoking Office Diagnostics (2007) got rid of the problem on my machine. The error was found in the "Setup" section of the diagnostic routines and the logs of the errors were automatically sent to MS.

Office Diagnostics fixed me too.

Thanks Tim.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Hi All,

If you still have the repro of this issue can you please export the registry keys under the following path using RegEdit.exe and sent it to us via email.

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

Send the email to corpdsin{at}microsoft{dot}com - please reference this forum post in the subject line.

We are still trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

PS: You will have to rename the .reg file to .reg.txt files as the attachment will get blocked by the exchange server.

Thanks,

~Saurabh

Monday, April 21, 2008 6:03 AM
  •  

Well I sent my reg file in over three weeks ago and not so much as a peep.  I guess it's time to uninstall Windows Search 4.0 Preview.
    Friday, May 23, 2008 4:11 PM
  • For anyone interested, I used the REG hack found at the url below for an unrelated issue to remove the error message. Good luck.

-Joel

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/247931.htm

Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:12 PM