none
Media Library Content and Structure

Question

• Hi there :)

Does anyone know whether it is possible - and possibly how - the media library used by Windows Media Player can be enhanced or replaced?

In other words: I am not really happy with the information managed and provided by the media library in WMP. For example, I would like to assign more than one genre (or alternative keyword?) to an album or even a single song, and later be able to retrieve all albums/songs tagged with that genre (or keyword). I know that I could create playlists, but: a) these only show a small subset of the meta information stored to the song, and b) there is no cover visible on a playlist.

Is it possible to write a plug-in which will be recognized as a library?

Is it possible to enrich the original library with additional attributes, and how could these be retrieved?

Can anyon help me?

Thank you in advance for any hint that might guide me into the right direction (or prevent me from spending millions of hours hunting a dream...)

BTW, I am a quite experienced programmer, so do not hesitate to go into detail :)

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:00 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the WMP media library is not replacable.  There are different forms of WMP plugins, but nothing that allows replacing or modifying library views.  The shell property system (IShellItem2 and friends) allow specifying of multiple genres for content if the file format supports it, but there is no means to enhance the display functionality in WMP.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:47 PM