none
How to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\DNI_DNEMP\0000

Question

• I installed a piece of software that created an entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\DNI_DNEMP\0000 (it was Cisco VPN Client).  This software is causing windows to Blue Screen when i run it so i need to reinstall it  FYI, I am running Vista Ultimate (i upgraded from vista home premium which apparently results in something different than just installing Ultimate from the ground up).  When i try to uninstall the vpn client from the "add remove programs" (or equivalent) utility the uninstall fails.  So i have manually deleted the files used by this app, at least those that i have access to.  Next i tried deleting all the registry entries for the Cisco VPN Client which worked until i got to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\DNI_DNEMP\0000".  Apparently in Vista, even as admin, i dont have the right to modify anything (including permissions) under that Enum key.  I have read posts on this forum that say i need a "system integrity level" account to make permissions changes in that key.  I have read posts talking about how to do this in code but I need to do it as an administrator (minimal coding).  Is this possible or do i need to completely reinstall windows because i don't have this permission?

Thursday, April 03, 2008 7:56 PM

All replies

• Right click on the key you want to obliterate, permissions, advanced, owner.  Change it from 'TrustedInstaller' to yourself, apply to descendants of the key, and then you should be able to delete it.

Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Thanks for the post.  I did tried that and it did not work (i would receive no errors but when i viewed the permissions again my change would not have been made).  I was part of the administrators group so i don't understand why that didnt work especially because i could change other keys (anything above "Enum") without problems.  I ended up reinstalling Vista and on my current install that key is owned by "Administrators" already.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:27 PM