none
Windows Vista black screen at startup

Question

•  

When I turn on my windows vista the screen stays black but apparently it's on because the power button is light blue and the quickplay buttons next to it is too. The screen stays black and I think the keyboard doesnt respond either because I cant turn on caps lock, also, I cant lock \ unlock the mousepad. When I turn on the laptop, I do not get any options or any screen at all, just a blank (black) screen.

I have an HP Pavilion dv2000

Oh, and this happened during an HP update

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I ave the same laptop and am experiencing the same problem. Have you found out what is wrong with your laptop yet?

I am currently on my laptop as it strats up now and again,

Thanks

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:39 AM
  • I too have experienced the same symptoms on my desktop computer.

Every once and a while, it is as though VISTA will refuse to start.  You just sit there staring at a black screen.

When this happens, I have noticed that:

1) if you turn the power off

2) then turn the power back on again

3) Windows will eventually get to the point where it offers you to start in `Safe Mode`

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't performed any hardware or software (maybe Windows did an update?) upgrades/updates.

What a pain.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:43 AM
  • Mine never even shows me the <setup> screen with the hp logo (post screen).  I have to press and hold the power button to shut it off or remove the battery with the power unplugged, then repeatedly try to turn it on again.  The buttons all light up, the CD drive makes a little noise, but nothing else. 

hp dv2125nr laptop

Vista - took SP1 off as I thought it might be the culprit

2GB RAM

Tested the drive when it did boot, that is working properly.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I am also having this problem on my dv2200, 2gb ram, running Vista Home Premium (factory installed).

The initial problem started with my computer not waking up from the sleep mode and then being unable to start about the time my warranty expired (of course!). I only hibernate my computer now (always using the sleep button, never by closing the lid). It's increasingly gotten worse, to the point that it will not even boot up on the first try when I restart it or shut it down. When I hit the power button, I get the black screen, hear the dvd drive make some noise, my wireless light is red, and none of the quick launch buttons (like mute) do anything. It will pretty much never start up on just the battery, and I also have the problem when I remove the battery and use only the power cord to boot.

I was holding out on doing a recovery of Vista until SP1 came out. That, of course, solved nothing. I recovered my computer earlier this week and had to redo the recovery several times just for Vista to start up. After the recovery to 'factory condition,' the same problems remain. I've checked the hard disk in the Bios and reseated the RAM per HP instructions, but nothing helps.

My notebook is too unreliable to take it anywhere. I am toying with the idea of installing XP to see if that would help at all, but am afraid it would be a waste if this is an HP hardware problem. I didn't want Vista at all, but purchased my computer a few weeks too late!
    Friday, April 04, 2008 4:00 AM
  • Hi All.

I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this sort of difficulty. Unfortunately, I don't have any pearls of wisdom for you either.

I am afraid that this forum is really for developers trying to learn about creating applications for notebooks, Tablet PCs, and UMPCs. You are far more likely to find an expert who has the immediate answer to your question if you ask this on the Windows Vista General Discussion newsgroup or the Windows Vista Hardware and Devices newsgroup.

Good luck getting this resolved.

Eliot - MSFT

General: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.general&cat=en_US_9CA88DDB-D18D-FA0E-A366-6E527B0FBA67&lang=en&cr=US

Device: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices&cat=en_US_9CA88DDB-D18D-FA0E-A366-6E527B0FBA67&lang=en&cr=US

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:08 AM
  • Hello there!

-Well, there is a known issue with the Apollo motherboard used in the HP Pavilion dv2000, 6000 and 9000 series that will cause at some point (even after just purchasing the computer) not to show anything but a blank screen even if all the lights (quickpla, power, wireless) come up, if you need this issue to get fixed you will need to call HP total care tech support where the tachnicians will probably ask you to 1: try to turn the pc removing the battery and only the AC adapter plugged in, then physically reseat the RAM and the hard drive and if this dont work (most likely wont) they will send the pc to the service center for motherboard replacement.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:49 AM
  • Hello there! I have an HP DV2000 that I purchased about a year ago. Recently, it started to act up when I tried to turn on my laptop, but all I got was a black screen, a little nose (fan nose), a red/orange wireless light, and blue lights on the quick play and on and off button.

I was very frustrated, therefore I tried to turn on and off and did everything I could before I could call Comp USA tech support.They had me turn on and off and when I turned on to press the F8 button, but nothing worked, so they told me to turn on and off again and press on button and continue to press F11 button, which totally wiped out all my inforamtion and data (thank goodness I backed everything up on an external drive) but the fact is I still had to work several hours rebooting OneLive and other software to my lap top.

It is better now, but I notice that it is acting funny again, so I had to F11 again and the lap top turned on with all my inforamtion. I am afraid to turn off my computer now because of the fact that I may not be able to turn again. I honestly think that I may have to send in for exchange of the motherboard, which sucks because I only had this laptop for one year.

Anyway, I hope this helps everyone...try continously tapping onto F11 button right after you turn on computer, but be aware that all data will or may be lost. The computer will be restored as if you first purchaed it, so I hope you were able to back up anything prior to losing anyh data... Good Luck...

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:31 AM
  • Perhaps this isn't the right forum, but I got the answer that I needed from Wakazula above. And I'm not even using an HP. I typed in my question in the "search the knowledge base" (the same question in this thread) and was taken to a thread about recovering data from an encrypted drive. What the heck does an encrypted drive have to do with a black screen on boot up?

I came into these forums and typed in the same question and was brought to this thread. I've been using computers for over 30 years and laptops for the last 14 or 15 of those years and this was the first time I've had a black screen at start up. What Wakazula said above ... unplug the power / batteries and vista will "eventually" get to a point of asking if you want to boot in safe mode ... worked perfectly.

I'm on a Dell XPS M1730 laptop (the heaviest laptop I've ever owned), running windows vista ultimate. I have 4 Gb ram, two 250 Gb hard drives, DVR, dual sli video cards and a 6-port card reader (is that the right term?). This thing is darn close to the top of the line (and did I mention that it is heavy?). I always shut down, never use sleep or hibernate modes (I had bad luck with those in the past), so when it wouldn't boot up this morning I was panicking. I called Dell and am still waiting for a callback, so I came in here.

Thank you for the help Waka!

Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:50 AM
  • I too have the same problem, my computer is running windows vista, after turning the computer on, then was able to log in, after that the screen goes to black when the start up programs should be running, and all thats left is the mouse cursor...

Nothing else works, cannot ctrl+alt+del or anything, I have been on the phone with Dell and did an F8 and tried to restore multiple times at different intervals, and ran the start up fix, all is the same.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or how I can fix this?

• Proposed as answer by DEERJRKY Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:23 PM
  • When I turn on my windows vista the screen stays black but apparently it's on because the power button is light blue and the quickplay buttons next to it is too. The screen stays black and I think the keyboard doesnt respond either because I cant turn on caps lock on....

Hi All!

I had the same problem, but I fixed mine.  I was playing World of Warcraft which would sometime lock up if the internet connection dropped. It would take so long to get back to the desktop that I would just turn the power off.  A BIG NO-NO, but I would do it anyway.  Well I went to turn it back on, and the end result was a screen that looked like the vertical hold was on the fritz, OR just a blank screen with no keyboard response.

Startup Repair  -  didn't work, would act like it's loading and crash or blank screen again.

Recovery Discs -  same thing, end result was a crash.

Chkdsk /f  -  same thing..

Safe Mode always worked.

I tried everything, various combinations using MSCONFIG loading and disabling drivers,  all same results.

Then outta the blue,  the one combo I didn't try in MSCONFIG, to simply boot with Base Video.  - it worked!

Vista loaded in 640x480, I logged in, and even to see that desktop was a big deal.  Then all of a sudden, it's like it remembered the previous settings and went blank and came back widescreen Hi-res.  I'm leaving well enough alone!  MSCONFIG will stay with whatever settings are there, and I'm enjoying my laptop again.  A-men!

Compaq Presario C500t - 9/2007

Intel 1.73Ghz

2GB RAM

Vista Home Premium
    Wednesday, December 03, 2008 1:02 AM
  • This just happened to me today, exactly one year after I first got the computer. The power was on but the screen was blank. It was like there was nothing working in there at all.

BUT I know how to fix it, and it's working great now.

• What you do is take out the battery, then disconnect all power to the computer so it's not able to retrieve power from anywhere.
    • Then you press the ON button and hold it for exactly 30 seconds. (can't be less or it won't work)
    • Then you get the AC power cord and plug it in, and turn on the power supply so the light glows. (the battery MUST still be out)
    • Then you switch on the computer and it should work.
    • After that you just shut down the computer and put the battery in again and switch it back.

What this does is reset the components of the computer, I don't know why it has done this but this method fixes it. I'm real glad it's ok cos I might've had to reformat (which I didn't really want to do cos I had 150 GB worth of files on there...)

Hope this is useful to ppl whose computers have done this!

• Proposed as answer by Nikhil_K Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:44 PM
    Saturday, December 06, 2008 7:31 PM
  • I had the same problem and followed Sigma_08 suggestions. It worked! I'm so frustrated with windows vista. It isn't the first time I've had the problem. Thanks Sigma_08 for sharing.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Hi, Ti-N, how about your dv2000 battery life running on vista
    Mine only last 3 hours after i got a new hp battery from http://www.laptopbatteryshop.co.uk .
    Or any simple idea to prolong the battery life?
    Tks.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 2:06 AM
  • Hello Ti-N

I have the same problem with my computers, but as of now I cant find the permanent solution yet. But temporarily you can press Ctrl + Delete, select task manager and task manager click file, New Task then type Explorer.exe. and finally exit task manager.

I will notify you as soon as i find the permanent solution for this problem.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 1:14 AM
  • i do, my hp pavillion dv2000 battery out of working,but my way to deal with it is replace for a new one...
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:14 AM
  • I had the same problem and I guessed that my hard drive was corrupt and it repaired itself. Your symptoms are similar except that your problems reoccur after they have vanished for a while. Have you run hard drive checks?

Here's my story http://annoyances-resolved.blogspot.com/2009/08/laptop-wont-resume-from-sleep.html
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 6:04 AM
  • hi all 

i have noticed that all that have the same problem all have 2GB RAMs with Vista does this possibly be the problem. the reason i believe this is because dont have any of the HP Pavilion series but a dell vostro 1510 and the spec is similar to HP pavillion series.

i had the same problem but i have found a way to get rid of the blank screen but it takes time first go into safe mode by hiting F8 when u power up and select safe mode then copy all of your files onto a external hard drive (if you dont have an external hard drive then dont worry when you go to clean reinstall windows there should be a thing that allows you to put all of your current files in a folder that will be accsesable on the compuer after you reinstall but i dont know how safe it is)  then clean reinstall vista using the backup disk you are usual supplyed then copy all of you files from your hard drive onto your computer also you will notice windows will be running smother. if you dont have an external hard drive then dont worry when you go to clean reinstall windows there should be a thing that allows you to put all of your current files in a folder that will be accsesable on the compuer after you reinstall but i dont know how safe it is

i have noticed that all that have the same problem all have 2GB RAMs with Vista does this possibly be the problem. the reason i believe this is because dont have any of the HP Pavilion series but a dell vostro 1510 and the spec is similar to HP pavillion series.

HOPE THIS HELPS
    • Proposed as answer by 1hatevista69 Saturday, October 31, 2009 1:42 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Link to Solution....  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951618

A black screen issue occurs on a Windows Vista-based computer or a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer that has Onekey Recovery 5.0 installed when you upgrade the operating system

Symptom 1
    You are running a Windows Vista-based computer that has Onekey Recovery 5.0 installed. If you try to upgrade the operating system to Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) by using Windows Update or another method, you may experience a black screen issue after the computer is restarted.

Back to the top

Symptom 2

You are running a Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer that has Onekey Recovery 5.0 installed. If you try to upgrade the operating system to Windows XP Service Pack 3 by using Windows Update or another method, you may experience a black screen issue after the computer is restarted.

Note This issue occurs when the computer contains Onekey recovery software that is earlier than version 5.1. If the computer uses the Onekey recovery software version 5.1 or later versions, this issue does not occur.

Back to the top

CAUSE

Windows Vista SP1 and Windows XP SP2 are incompatible with Onekey Recovery 5.0....

Windows Vista SP1 and Windows XP SP2 are incompatible with Onekey Recovery 5.0.

RESOLUTION

Update information for Windows VistaThe following files are available for downlo...

Update information for Windows Vista

The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Update for Windows Vista

Collapse this imageExpand this image

Download the 951618 package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DDB2D8CF-6D37-45A3-B0B6-28B0EA95319B&displaylang=en)

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems

Collapse this imageExpand this image

Download the 951618 package now.

Monday, November 02, 2009 7:06 PM
  • This is NOT a fix but, it will allow you to use your computer until a fix is available.  once you get to the BLACK SCREEN press Ctrl, Alt & Del all together then select Start Task Manager then select New Task and type in explorer.exe and you will get your normal windows.

Hope This Helps Some,

Jim
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:48 AM
  • When you start up your computer, press f8 repeatedly until you get a screen with white text. Select start from last known good configuration on the list, press enter, cross your fingers and pray it works.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:00 AM
  • Hello Friend,
     It worked for me thanx a lot!!!!!!!
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I highly recommend this fix.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 4:48 PM
  • hi i know this link is probably old but i have the exact same problem as you. just wanted some help and how u managed to solve ur problem???? thanks

when i actually open the back of my laptop it sometimes works
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 12:39 PM
  • You might want to check this out.  May not be your answer but it will affect a lot of people.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9035478/Black_screen_of_darkness_to_haunt_Vista_pirates

Monday, July 05, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Hi everyone.  I also got the black screen lurgy and it took me a while but realised the problem was with the background picture no longer existing.  The desktop background had changed by some glitch and cut off the background picture leaving everything black as pitch and most unerving it was too.  Anyways I re installed the background pix and also the screen saver and the problem was fixed.  I do not know the cause of the blackness but did grasp what that black thing was.  It happened a few times but then i knew what to do. 

Also I had problems with the keyboard lurgy.  It took a while before certain keys would work.  The problem was the most oddest thing it was the mouse I was using.  Yes the mouse was causing the glitch.  I only discovered that by accident whilst trying to figure out problems i was getting onm my computer and I went through everything looking for solutions.  Then on one of the help supports it explained certain problem with a mouse.  The lack of operation on the keyboard was one such system.  I changed the mouse which i fortunately had and the problem has not returned.  I add that the keyboard can also be at fault if not compatable.  Often with new Keyboards a disc is with the item to install on the computer to resolve the problem.  However in my view change your mouse first as you will find that is the most probable suspect.  I became a believer when i changed my mouse and my keyboard worked fine ever since.  OK.   

Long term by the way if the computer is really ____ your day off is to growl a lot then go to the system restore and restore the system from a day when the problem did not give hassle.  Usually you only get a 5 day leeway but oft it has solved problems I got. 

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:22 AM
  • I too have experienced the same symptoms on my desktop computer.

Every once and a while, it is as though VISTA will refuse to start.  You just sit there staring at a black screen.

When this happens, I have noticed that:

1) if you turn the power off

2) then turn the power back on again

3) Windows will eventually get to the point where it offers you to start in `Safe Mode`

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't performed any hardware or software (maybe Windows did an update?) upgrades/updates.

What a pain.

My advice is do not start in safe mode as it messes your screen up and removes things you want especially programs.  Always start windows normally then if the problem re occurs you know you have a problem.  Also you may have too many startup programmes goping off at once and the computer cannot cope.  I also am cursed with a vista and noticed if I use too many programmes i get a not responding fading screen then you have to wait till it plays with itself and then youcan go again. 
    Friday, August 13, 2010 4:25 AM
  • I have the same issue. I was just watching the Big Bang Theory Season 3, then boom! blue screen. I rebooted, turned to safe mode. Restarted then opened a video again. Blue screen again. Then rebooted. Safe mode then shut it down. When I started it again, all i get is a black screen. No warning sounds just the noise of the fan. The lights are disk and battery lights are on but nothing is showing up on the monitor.

If I had known that HP computers are having this kind of problem, I wouldn't have bought this stylish laptop. I would rather have a common looking laptop that lasts than this!

Anyone got this fixed without replacing any hardware???

Sunday, October 03, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Wow after trying many different boot up disks and rescue disks.. This actually worked.. Your the best!! Thanks so much!!
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Here is what I did to fix the Black Screen after Vista Service Pack 2 install:  Hit Ctrl Alt Del and start the task manager, click file new task and run rstrui.exe to go back to a restore point prior to the service pack 2 install.  At this point you should be praying that your system was configured to auto create restore points or you did so before the install.  
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Here is my Fix!

I did remove the nvidia driver didnt work.

remove UAC privileges didnt work

------------

when you are on the black screen push crtl+alt+del, you will get task manager.

got to File\ new task run, push browse, look for icon "computer". Ones you are one "computer you should be able to see drive "C", right click Drive "C" go to properties, in there select "disk Clean up". do a complete clean up including all users. that should solve your problem. make sure to restart system after that. (you can do this disk clean up in safe mode too, more easily.)

What happen is that windows have problems trying to write a log.

let me know if that helps.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:02 PM
  • hi did you ever find a way of fixing the black screen problem permentley as i have the same problem the task manager way works but only till next start up then same thing again.  
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:29 AM
  • press controal alt Delete , and it should start up properally
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:37 AM
  • What's the big deal? Isn't this normal behavior for Vista?
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:41 AM
  • I HAVE A hp pavilion entertainment pc tx2500. gt the same problem today.

i just removed the battery and kept the power supply on.

i kept the on button pressed for 30secs n then let go.

when i turned the thing on again, it started working. btw, i dont know if removing the battery important or not. 

Monday, December 12, 2011 1:41 AM