none
Found New Hardware Wizard will block the DPInst

Question

• Currently I want to merge Hardware-First installation into our installer solution. I have successfully built a co-installer DLL, which will insert a customized page before the Finish page of Found New Hardware Wziard. This page will let the end-user choose to install a bundled application.

However, there is another driver I want to install during the installation of the bundled application. These two drivers (the first one is installed by Found New Hardware Wizard) are both for the same device (a printer).

I found that the DPInst.exe called during the installation of the latter driver is always blocked until I kill it manually.

Does anybody has the silimar experience ?
    Any advice and suggestion will be very appreciated.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:37 AM

All replies

• OK, guys, I got the key.

I should use CopyINF directive in INF to handle the driver installation of multi-fucntion deivce. It's a awful idea to install just one driver during Hardware-First and let the triggerred applicaiton installer to install the left.

If anybody is interested in what I 'm saying, please refer to the relevant chapter in WDK document for the driver installation of multi-function device.

BTW, CopyINF directive is built-in Windows XP and later version of Windows. For Windows 2000, there is a accompanied Co-Installer CoCpyINF.dll to interpret this directive and execute DIFx fucntions to cover this feature. You can find it in the WDK folder.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:15 PM