none
There is no "Stereo-mix" in HD Audio on Windows Vista

Question

•  

Hello,

I have a laptop Sony Vaio VGN-N320E , OS "Windows Vista Home Premuime" and the sound card was created by Microsoft called "High Definition Audio Device". the problem is that the feature of recording from "Stereo-mix , Wave Out , Mono-mix or What-you-hear" is missing , is there any solution to activate this feature?

Even that I chose the "Show Disabled Devices" , but no use. There is only recording from "Microphone". there is NOTHING else.

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:22 AM

All replies

• Sony lists a Realtek driver for that laptop; that might resolve your issue.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNN320E&upd_id=2658&os_id=28

If you right-click the speaker icon in the notification area (AKA system tray)
    ... and click "Playback Devices"
    ... and double-click "Speakers"
    ... and in the "Controller Information" section, click "Properties"
    ... and switch to the "Details" tab
    ... and choose the "Hardware Ids" property
    ... does the PnP ID look like "HDAUDIO\...VEN_10EC"?  If so it's a Realtek HD Audio card.

You can also try downloading the latest Realtek HD Audio driver from www.realtek.com.tw
    Monday, November 19, 2007 5:07 PM
  • I found this:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0262&SUBSYS_104D1600&REV_1001
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0262&SUBSYS_104D1600

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:51 AM
  • Yup, that's a Realtek HD Audio codec.

In Vista, you can either use the manufacturer's driver (Realtek's driver) or you can use the Microsoft HD Audio "class" driver.

The Microsoft HD Audio "class" driver does not provide the "record from speakers" functionality you are looking for.  I believe (though I am not sure) that the Realtek driver does provide it.

So you have three drivers that should all work on your hardware:

1) the Microsoft HD Audio class driver
    2) the Realtek HD Audio driver on sony.com (listed above)
    3) the Realtek HD Audio driver on www.realtek.com.tw

2) and/or 3) will likely provide what you need.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:00 PM
  • I had a problem like Blue Tooth and already tried your ways showed, but I can't solve my problem. So, do you have other method to solve that? This trouble make my laptop can not record music from internet and anywhere in computer to edit music. Please help me.....

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Hello

i find this video and i think it will help for answering about how to activate STEREO MIXER on Windows Vista

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfd_BNyX6Bg

Enjoy

Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:22 AM
  •  Blue Tooth wrote:

Even that I chose the "Show Disabled Devices" , but no use. There is only recording from "Microphone". there is NOTHING else.

By the way , my dad has HP , Vista , the same sound card of mine , Realtek HD ok?

he has stereo-mix

but i don't have it , even that i downloaded the driver installation from HP the same one as dad's , installed it to my Realtek HD but didn't work either!!!

I'm very desperate

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:44 AM
  •  

I worked on this probem for months before finding out.  The problem is not the Vista, it's the sound card.

Several of the new sound cards being made now do not have the 'Stereo Mix', 'What You Hear' feature and are not capable of doing it.

SoundBlaster has several new X-Treme cards, check out the X-Treme that you get if you get SoundBlaster.  The 'X-Treme Audio' is not capable of 'What You Hear'.  I had to buy the 'X-Treme Gamer' card to get it, now I'm back to doing the things I did with XP and my old computer again.

Friday, May 30, 2008 5:01 PM
  • thank u so much for your help!!!

its finally working

you have been a GREAT HELP!!

Monday, September 01, 2008 11:10 AM
  •  

Can u please let us know finally how it worked?
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:40 PM
  • I have the same issue and I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FW11M. The stereo mix is not there at all, not even if I Show the disabled devices. Can anyone please help?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 9:42 AM
  • I have a issue for my Hp pavilion dv2000 The stereo mix is not there at all, not even if I Show the disabled devices.

I HAVE      CONEXANT/CNXT_AUDIO_HDA        ITS A  Conexant High Definiton SmartAudio 211

and i dont know about this one  SPDIF Interface    Conexant High Definiton SmartAudio 211  

If someone can help me on this!!!

Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:14 AM
  • The answer that I got on another place is that I do not have Stereo Mix support. Maybe that's the case here also.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Do you have "wave out" ?? if you do basically those who dont have "stereo mix" they "wave out" option is used..a replacement for VISTA users.. therefore. to do this.. go to..

1. click start and open control panel
    2. click on "classic view"
    3. click on "sound"
    4. click on "recording" tab
    5. right click on "wave out" and make it default
    6. click ok..

Alhamdulillaah it should work if you have wave out...

latersss

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 1:17 AM
  • I fixed this on my machine (A Toshiba A135-S4527) by installing the Spring 2007 Original RealTek HD Audio Driver.  

I found it at:
    • Edited by JoeGould1111 Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:17 PM HTML didn't work
    • Proposed as answer by blurg Friday, October 30, 2009 1:58 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:16 PM
  • I have a issue for my Hp pavilion dv2000 The stereo mix is not there at all, not even if I Show the disabled devices.

I HAVE      CONEXANT/CNXT_AUDIO_HDA        ITS A  Conexant High Definiton SmartAudio 211

and i dont know about this one  SPDIF Interface    Conexant High Definiton SmartAudio 211  

If someone can help me on this!!!

hi there,

i also have this problam. i just bought a new laptop from compaq cq700 and i have the conexant high definition smart audio 211 also and i dont have any stereo mix or wave out or what u hear. a have vista 32bit

i used to have vista before and i used to have these options now nothing even when i show the disabled divices. i uselly use stereo mix to pass music through in chat rooms so the sound is clear now i can't.

please can anyone help me.

thanks
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:52 AM
  • I just want to let you guys know that "What U hear" and "Wave/Stereo Mix" is NOT the same thing. Not only its recording sensitivity is controlled different, but from my experiences with it, it does not record all channels of some songs. Therefore you may hear the output file as too basy, or missing the mid-tone frequency of the song and hence the lyrics are far quieter than originally recorded.

I want to get a sound card that has one or all of the wave options (Stereo , Wave, etc)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 1:18 PM
  • hmm i hav sony vaio VGN-FZ35M... same issue no steromix,wav/mp3 etc....

my hardware ids show this

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D1C00&REV_1002
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D1C00

SIGMATEL HD AUDIO ....

sony says my sound card does not support this steromix option..however i can use other 3rd party softwares.....

okay what i need to know is what and which 3rd party softwares ? can anybody let me know..

Sunday, September 06, 2009 7:49 PM
  • hmm i hav sony vaio VGN-FZ35M... same issue no steromix,wav/mp3 etc....

my hardware ids show this

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D1C00&REV_1002
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D1C00

SIGMATEL HD AUDIO ....

sony says my sound card does not support this steromix option..however i can use other 3rd party softwares.....

okay what i need to know is what and which 3rd party softwares ? can anybody let me know..

I also have Sony Vaio VGN SZ433N ,also vista, Sigamel Sound Card. Does any one have solution?
    • Proposed as answer by Atomictop Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:56 PM
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 8:18 AM
  • 1. Great site – many hands make light work – and this one’s been a bit a a B…….
    2. This is how I solved this stereo-mix problem for VAIO VGN-AR71S laptop running Vista Home Premium.
    3. If you have a VAIO (add you own appropriate cuss expressions here) and tried VAC and backdated drivers without success there may be some hope for you yet.
    4. The following worked on this VGN-AR71S Sony machine and may work on other Sony machines or other brands – Please note: I got this idea from another thread or maybe even this thread  - bear with me here I'm in a hurry - where someone used a loop between the sound card speaker out and mic in – I have just added a Y-extension so that one can hear sound and not have to record in the deaf so to speak. Anyway, whoever you are - thanks mate.
    5. Get yourself the following: One 3.5mm stereo Y-extension cable (2 female jacks connected to 1 male jack) – google ebay for this.
    6. One 3.5mm stereo male to male extension cable ( 2 male jacks at each end) – google ebay for this.
    7. Place the male jack of Y- extension into sound card headphones socket.
    8. Place one jack of male to male extension in sound card microphone socket and the other male jack in one of the female jacks of the Y-extension.
    9. If you now play a video or mp3 file you will not hear any sound because the sound card has a jack in the earphone socket -  which in this case is looped to the microphone socket.
    10. In order to hear sound connect your earphone or external speakers male jack to the other female jack of the the Y-extension.
    11. You should now be able to hear sound and use Camstudio, Audacity etc, etc as normal – but here is the payoff - You should now get PLAYBACK WITH SOUND.
    12. If your playback sound is distorted or if you have no playback sound check out the following.
    13. Controls / Sound / Playback – make sure speakers/headphones is default. Click properties/levels tab – check that speaker/headphones speaker icon is not disabled. Check that speaker/headphone volume is not set too high. Check that the microphone speaker icon is not disabled. Check that the volume is not set too high. Do same for PC Beep.
    14. Now go to the recording tab – microphone should be default – highlight microphone and click properties/levels. Check that microphone speaker icon is not diabled, Check that the volume is not set too high on microphone and especially microphone boost.
    15. Test sound and recording playback – hopefully everthing should be OK.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:56 PM
  • AtomicTop's answer is very useful, but I would add the following two notes.

1. The microphone input on many laptops is mono, so you may lose any stereo sound or one side of the sound.

2. If the mic input is mono and wired to the tip of the jack with the ring and sleeve connected together, it is possible that the described connection will put a short circuit across one side of the headphone output of the machine. It's just possible that this might cause problems with the headphone circuitry.

There is a paid-for program called Total Recorder, which might provide the required recording option, and I believe there is at least one free equivalent.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:49 PM
  • 1. A last VITAL UPDATE - refer post by atomictop
    2. For BEST screen recording and playback sound: DISABLE microphone in the control panel /sound/playback/properties/levels Tab - blue microphone icon should have a red icon next to it.
    3.Go over to the control panel/sound/recording/properties/levels Tab - make sure that microphone boost is set to min (0.0dB) and that the microphone icon is not checked out with a red icon next to it.
    4. Should have tested more before posting but I am busy and have other machines.

PS: By connecting the green jack (or sound out jack) of a headset to the other Y-extension female jack I was able to record voice but the playback was very soft. I was using Camstudio. I only use this machine for screen recocording so this method is a quick fix with little hastle and fiddle. The the ideal fix, of course, would be a sofware solution that does not require having to reset everything again after bootup.

PSS: Yes, good think to heed Billaboard's point and check if your mic is mono. As for VAIO VGN-AR71S this rough and ready fix working like a charm for screen recording. Will have a google for Total Recorder.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:18 AM
  • 0. Got this one from Billaboard's post on MSDN forum.
    1. Installed a full-featured-non-expiring trial copy of Total Recorder VideoPro (see Billaboard's post above or MSDN forum) on the Sony VAIO - Vista machine.
    2. I got screen captures of Youtube WITH SOUND, so it does the trick !
    3. No fiddling in control panel looking for lost stereo-mix mojo, it bypasses all that - gallons of fine technical details on the vendor page.
    4. It's a bit of a fiddle to setup but has a comprehensive set of features and functions like screen capture, video editing, automatic screen area mapping, customizable presettings etc, etc. 
    5. I got a playback of voice but did not manage in to get voiced dubbed over video, though it should be possible.
    6. Price: $53.95. Here is the link: <a href="http://www.totalrecorder.com/productfr_trVideoPRO.htm" taget="_blank">Click Here</a> If the link does not work copy and paste: http://www.totalrecorder.com/productfr_trVideoPRO.htm.
    7. The full-featured-non-expiring trial will give anyone unlimited time to figure if it's worth buying.

PS: In the trial version a short noise is inserted into each recording every 1 minute.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:22 PM
  • 1. Can across another software solution re the VAIO stereo-mix problem.
    2. Replay Video Capture by Applian technologies is the name of the product.
    3. Demos available - here is a copy and paste link: http://www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/index.php 
    • Proposed as answer by wolfreen Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:02 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:29 PM
  • I had this problem and I solved it with this free ware. now I can record Audio and Video with it without any problem
    just download it and follow the instructions. its complietly free.

www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/index.php
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:06 PM
  •  

my new PC came with a Realtek soundcard that shows up as Realtek HD Audio Manager. For the longest time, I couldn’t get it to record in “Stereo Mix.” Stereo Mix refers to the sound that comes out of your speakers, no matter where that sound is coming from. In other words, Stereo Mix allows you to record streaming audio or internet radio stations. It’s also handy for recording audio magazines (or podcasts) because you can play background music through something like Winamp and record your voice through a Line-In or Mic input over the music, all through Stereo Mix. It’s very nice.

Good luck, though, trying to find the Stereo Mix option on the Realtek soundcard. Realtek simplified the soundcard’s interface by hiding away basic options like Stereo Mix that have been around for years. This is like putting the gas pedal under the seat of your car. Don’t you love these people? The solution is simple — if you know where to look. Here it is:

1) In the Control Panel, click on Classic view.
    2) Click on Sound.
    3) Select the Recording tab.
    4) Right-click any of the devices that are listed.
    5) Check “Show Disabled Devices” and “Show Disconnected Devices.”
    6) Ta-da! The Stereo Mix option appears like it should have by default.
    7) Save as your default settings.
    8) Don’t buy a Realtek soundcard again.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:43 PM
  • IT WORKS!!

Guy, I found a solution

I run on WINDOWS 7 Ultimate and I believe it works on VISTA as well. It works on my sony VGN-SZ3XWP/C

1. Dowload the driver:

http://rapidshare.com/files/309128265/Sigmatel_Audio_Driver__www.ursdl.com_.zip

2. Extract and right click on setup.exe, Properties, find Compatibility

3. In compatibility mode: Run this program in compatibility of: choose Windows Vista (service pack 2). It should work on Windows 7 as well.

4. Install the driver.

5. Restart

6. Go to control panel / hardware and sound / Sound

7. Click: Recording and you should have the Stereo Mix, then click unable

It works for me and I think it should work for you guys too!

Enjoy, please leave a comment so we all know whether it works on your machines or not.

Double kisses x x

Friday, April 23, 2010 10:10 AM
  • dear Kosa i hav downloaded the above driver

but unfortunately the compatibility mode does not have option for Windows Vista(sp2) or even win7

anyhow i tried to run it in Winxp sp2 mode the driver was installed even i could se wave out open in recording devices but could not hear any sound.

so i have to get back to my original drivers :(

i m using WIN VISTA Home Premium sp2

guys find a solution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Shehery87, you're best off using drivers that are provided by your manufacturer.  Per your previous post, you're using the Sony Vaio VGN-FZ35M...

I looked here and the Sigmatel audio driver is listed...

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/241740/product/vgn-fz35m

... but when I clicked through it listed a Realtek audio driver instead, which is a little confusing...

But, let's try that first.  Download the audio.exe from the link above and see if it installs on your system.  If not, best option is to call Sony tech support.

Matthew van Eerde
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:18 PM
  • okay just downloaded audio.exe from the above link and i got my sound back it is indeed Realtek audio driver but after installing it says sigmatel high defination audio codec anyhow the problem is still there i.e no wave/mp3 out (stereo mix) under recording devices theres only microphone :( :(

what about downgrading to WinXP will i get what i want ?

Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:38 AM
  • Shehery87 try opening the Sound control panel, switching to the Recording tab, right-clicking the microphone, and choose "Show Disabled Devices" (so the entry in the right-click menu is checked.)

Do any "disabled" devices appear?  If so, you can right-click them and choose "Enable" to enable them, and you're good.

If not, it's likely that the audio hardware doesn't have an analog mixer, or that the driver (Realtek or Sigmatel... I'm a little confused, those are two different companies [Sigmatel is IDT now, by the way]) doesn't expose it to the OS.

But there's still hope.

The Vista-and-future way to "record what you hear" is to use "WASAPI loopback" recording; there aren't many apps yet that take advantage of it, but there are a couple (EDIT: like i-Sound Recorder).  Here's a sample app I put together:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2008/12/16/sample-wasapi-loopback-capture-record-what-you-hear.aspx

For legacy apps that look for "stereo mix", it's possible to install a virtual audio driver.  One such is Virtual Audio Cable:

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

Matthew van Eerde

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:09 PM
  • hi their Blue tooth

I also have a Vaio running windows and it would appear after many shouting matches with microsoft (who say it is sonys/realtewk's problem) and sony (who say it is microsofts fault) and realtek who will not say anything

it has become clear that sony are leading the way with the 'right thing to do' banner , to stop people illeagally recording copyrighted audio - IE _ like myself who has just bought a top end vaio laptop with an i7 processor to mix cds on (as a DJ)  the stereo mix facility has been left out of windows in new vaio's and there is no way to use it at all . sont have nailed the lid of the box down tight

However a company called  'virtual audio cable' have written some software to solve the problem http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm take a look and see what you think

i have only discovered this today ...

in the trial version  every 10 secs a voice says 'TRIAL' so i think the full version is needed  to record anything

hope this is of some help

cheers

baldydj1

Friday, October 08, 2010 4:08 PM
  • see my post above

try http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm or take a look at virtual audio cable  - as sony have removed the stereo mix to stop copyright infringement

hope this helps

baldydj1

Friday, October 08, 2010 4:12 PM
  • http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm sony have removed it. this link should help

i have same prob 

Friday, October 08, 2010 4:13 PM
  • sony have removed the stereo mix to stop copyright infringement and now dell are doing the same with new machines#

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm this should help

i have had same prob since spending over £1k on a top end laptop (sony  ) to use for recording cds(mixed)

hope this helps

baldydj1

Friday, October 08, 2010 4:16 PM
  • http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

i have vpcf11joe running win7 and this should work

sony have nailed the box lid down tight so there is no stereo mix to stop copyright infringement

Friday, October 08, 2010 4:20 PM
  • @maurits

ok this Virtual audio cable i tried its something else..and thanks for i-sound recorder.

maybe i m not able to explain my problem.

you see i dont want to record what i hear..

this will sound really stupid but anyway i use this software its a voice chat messenger.i cant play songs directly from my computer because i dont have wave/stero mix option in my sound card.

Right now i play through the microphoe and the sound quality isnt good and background noise my typing sound everything mixes.

this virtual audio cable did show some options under recording devices but it does not help

and yes i have clicked on show disconnect/disabled devices but there is no other device except microphone..

i hope u understand the problem....

Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:51 AM
  • A voice chat messenger... so you want to be able to play a song and have the person on the other end hear what you're playing?

Matthew van Eerde
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:04 PM
  • There's a YouTube video that shows how to use Virtual Audio Cable with PalTalk, to be able to get your voice and your music to go to the chat room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1FvFVjHPlM (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mF4mL63voU (part 2)

Matthew van Eerde
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:18 PM
  • This is cool~ I'm trying it out now~
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 5:31 PM
  • HI Guys, 

Your knowledge is very useful. 

I also have a little boggle!

I use WinXp and have an ASIO sound card. I also have the onboard one which is a Realtek HD audio card but this is by passed by my ASIO card as it is much better.

I have been trying to record some simple tutorials to put up on the web. This entails recording My screen with a stereo mix and narration as well. I can take not having the narration as I think I can get around it.   

None of the programs that I've tried (all are paid programs like NCH debut, my screen recorder, Adobe Captive, Camtasia) are able to do this function. In fact none of them even accept ASIO sound drivers from what i understand. 

Ive sent numerous emails to numerous companies and none are able to help.

I am willing to ditch the ASIO card for the onboard one but still had trouble doing this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 1:45 AM
  • That VAC program doesn't work for me, I have a Compaq CQ60-615DX Laptop.....I have no Stereo Mix so I can't play through PalTalk and have searched for days without end for a driver and have not been able to find one for the conexant high definition smart audio, is there anyway to fix this so I can play music through PalTalk?
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:14 AM
  • bones37101, you may find these videos helpful:

Stereo Mix for Paltalk using Virtual Audio Cable - Part 1 of 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1FvFVjHPlM

Stereo Mix for Paltalk using Virtual Audio Cable - Part 2 of 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mF4mL63voU

Matthew van Eerde
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 5:36 PM
  • For sony use this driver realtek_hda_r161 it will show Stereo mix but ur headphone will work with ur speakers at the same time.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Why~~~ Gosh~~~ I tried it~ and it sounds together~ I remove it ard~ sigh~ if they sounds together what for to install? no point
    Caren
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Well the point is you will have stereo Mix in Sony, the best is to buy USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Go  and it works 100% for all laptops whatever the brand is.
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:19 PM
  • isit? I try to find it here

Caren
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:59 PM
  • if u need stereo mix install windows xp...or get external sound card that's the only solution .. also sony laptop dont support all kind of windows xp u need try xp professional sp3 or whatever ur sony support...
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Dear  ALL,
    This Stero MIX problem has started with Vista and now windows 7.. And that this MISSING OF STEREO MIX has nothing to do with SOUND DRIVERS whatsoever...

This HAPPENS BECAUSE OF an AGREEMENT  WHICH has been signed by  The Music Recording Industry and those PC-Laptops Manufacturers such as DELL, ACER, SONY VAIO  to TAKE STREO MIX off windows Vista and  7..
    That's why this PROBLEM would happen with these BRANDS such as DELL, VAIO, ACER, etc. But it would be OK with Fujitsu, Toshiba, ASUS etc..  And there would be NO PROBLEM AT ALL if you RUN your PC-Laptops with Windows XP.. 

I worked as PC technician since 1994 .. and this is the first problem that NO ONE want to answer, even though THEY KNEW..
    Since the starts of Windows Vista - there have been many customers have sent their written complaints to Microsoft, DELL, VAIO, ACER (now Gateway)  (Me too) but  there has been no OFFICIAL EXPLANATION except  EVASIVE responses concerning drivers or windows errors...

If  YOU people want your Stereo Mix back...You must start a CLASS ACTION against those Manufacturers.. Starting a CAMPAING  STOP BUYING these BRANDS (Vaio, Acer, Dell etc)  and tell THEM OUT LOUD why we boycott them....

That's all.

In the mean time, if those people with DELL, ACER, VAIO want to use STERO MIX function , You can install  VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) software.. http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
    Or come back to Windows XP.. with XP Stereo MIX would work well in every PC
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Dear  ALL,
    This Stero MIX problem has started with Vista and now windows 7.. And that this MISSING OF STEREO MIX has nothing to do with SOUND DRIVERS whatsoever...

This HAPPENS BECAUSE OF an AGREEMENT  WHICH has been signed by  The Music Recording Industry and those PC-Laptops Manufacturers such as DELL, ACER, SONY VAIO  to TAKE STREO MIX off windows Vista and  7..
    That's why this PROBLEM would happen with these BRANDS such as DELL, VAIO, ACER, etc. But it would be OK with Fujitsu, Toshiba, ASUS etc..  And there would be NO PROBLEM AT ALL if you RUN your PC-Laptops with Windows XP..  

I worked as PC technician since 1994 .. and this is the first problem that NO ONE want to answer, even though THEY KNEW..
    Since the starts of Windows Vista - there have been many customers have sent their written complaints to Microsoft, DELL, VAIO, ACER (now Gateway)  (Me too) but  there has been no OFFICIAL EXPLANATION except  EVASIVE responses concerning drivers or windows errors...

If  YOU people want your Stereo Mix back...You must start a CLASS ACTION against those Manufacturers.. Starting a CAMPAING  STOP BUYING these BRANDS (Vaio, Acer, Dell etc)  and tell THEM OUT LOUD why we boycott them....

That's all.

In the mean time, if those people with DELL, ACER, VAIO want to use STERO MIX function , You can install  VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) software.. http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
    Or come back to Windows XP.. with XP Stereo MIX would work well in every PC
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Had the same problem. The answer is Right click Audio Manager, click  Audio Devices, click Recording, Right click Aux,click Properties, click Enhancements, deselect DC Offset Cancellation, Stereo Mix Appears, Select Enable. Sorted. 
    • Edited by Piratekjp Monday, October 03, 2011 1:31 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2011 1:21 PM
  • I have a similar issue with an HP G70-460US laptop.   I do not have a stereo mix icon although both the show

disabled and show disconnected are both selected.   Can you get stereo mix on this machine?  I have it on my Vista desktop unit.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:09 PM
  • the video you mentioned does not exist anymore.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:12 PM