none
SQL Azure Outage?

Question

• About an hour ago we lost access to our databases. That is, no access from SSMS, from the SQL Azure Management Portal (Test Connectivity) and our app is throwing errors.

It's a bummer that the silverlight portal doesn't support copy and paste - so I won't retype that - but it says connectivity was established by there was an error in the login process. Our app reports: SqlException:The instance of SQL Server you attempted to connect to does not support encryption.   SSMS reporsts (long text below:)

Note the application is running under a different login than the admin accounts that error in SSMS and the portal.

I logged a support request and I'm told someone will contact me within four hours. Our app isn't live (thanks be to someone), but...

We did a deployment on Sunday but all has been well since then, though we're going to check the logs and see if this has occurred previously and been transient.

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to cn1ovy8299.database.windows.net.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 64)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=64&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Friday, December 03, 2010 7:28 AM

Answers

• Folks,

We have identified the issue, although small and as I stated earlier affecting only a small number of users, it is still an issue. We are implementing the fix as we speak and expect the fix to be in place in the next few hours. Microsoft is dedicated to providing people with a trusted computing experience and we apologize for any inconvenience this causes our customers. Our support staff is available 24x7 should you experience any issues and we treat every issue, no matter how small it is, with the highest priority.

Thanks for your patience and support

Dave

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:50 AM

All replies

• Yep, had the same thing happen.  Chicago data center here
    Friday, December 03, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Same thing for us, North Central US data center.
    Friday, December 03, 2010 10:22 AM
  • We were impacted by the problem last night as well.  Is there any place/blog/fourm where the Azure team provides status updates and resolutions? 

I check this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/support/status/servicedashboard.aspx but don't find it provides enough detail.

Thanks.

Friday, December 03, 2010 4:54 PM
  • The SQL Azure team received a small number (think single digits) of customers reporting that their databases were unaccessable last night. We are actively performing a root cause analysis but it appears that all databases are currently up and healthy.

As a reminder, should you see an issue with the service, we have support options available to you at https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=13495&st=1

Thanks,

Dave

Friday, December 03, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Dave,

Five days later and we still see issues with our SQL Azure databases in North Central US - mainly that all of a sudden we can't connect through SSMS and we get errors from our applications.  This comes and goes - it works, all of sudden it stops working, then it works again, etc...  This does not happen on all of our databases - only some.

I see this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/support/status/servicedashboard.aspx

has now updated most of the SQL Servers with something like -

SQL Azure Investigation
    3:04 AM UTC We are currently investigating a potential problem impacting SQL Azure Database
    7:31 PM UTC We continue to investigate a potential problem impacting SQL Azure Database

See, you should have listened to us.  
    You shouldn't mark your answer as the answer - that's just wrong and may byte you later. ;-)

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 12:48 AM
  • count us among the single digits.  and this is today as well, the 7th.  site is dead, (due to sql azure) struggling to figure out how to get it back live.  as of right now, can't communicate with my sql azure databases, at all.
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:02 AM
  • The single digits were from earlier this week.  From what I can gather this outage is quite significant.  After contacting support I've been told that it's been looked into as a high priority.  I suspect that is understating the situation with 5 data centres affected.
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:05 AM
  • it's back up.  was down for about an hour.
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:13 AM
  • I wouldn't count your chickens just yet...

Our databases went down for about an hour this morning, then magically came back up, just to go down again an hour later.  The service dashboard is still showing them as having problems.

I'd rather people spent time trying to fix the problem, but if there's someone out there that has a clue about what is going on and would like to share with us, it would be appreciated.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:27 AM
  • Folks,

We have identified the issue, although small and as I stated earlier affecting only a small number of users, it is still an issue. We are implementing the fix as we speak and expect the fix to be in place in the next few hours. Microsoft is dedicated to providing people with a trusted computing experience and we apologize for any inconvenience this causes our customers. Our support staff is available 24x7 should you experience any issues and we treat every issue, no matter how small it is, with the highest priority.

Thanks for your patience and support

Dave

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:50 AM
  • Hi,

Just a thought...

If anyone is experiencing problems in a data center, is it possible to do a snapshot-replication to another data center, and then run from that database untill the issue is resolved? (Of course this assumes that the DB is available to replicate, and latency may be an issue). This may be a way to stay up and running if there are issues.

Regards,

Alan

http://www.CloudCasts.net - Community Webcasts Powered by Azure
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 10:05 AM
  • That would be an awesome idea if you could do a snapshot from one data centre to another.  Unfortunately at the moment SQL Azure only supports snapshots (or database copy which is what the command is called) within a data centre.
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 8:39 PM
  • You could use SQL Data Sync (CTP1 and CTP2 now) to have your database in multiple data centers - 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlazure/datasync.aspx

Here's a good video on channel 9 - 

View the Using SQL Azure Data Sync Service to provide Geo-Replication of SQL Azure databases video

http://channel9.msdn.com/blogs/zachskylesowens/using-sql-azure-data-sync-service-to-provide-geo-replication-of-sql-azure-databases

Good times.

Friday, December 31, 2010 6:36 AM