none
Certificate and Key Expiration information regarding your Access Control Service (ACS) 2.0 Namespace

Question

• I've received an email from Windows Azure Team (email@email.microsoftemail.com) with the above title. It suggests I 

We are writing to inform you that certificates or keys related to one or more of your Namespaces are about to expire between July 8, 2012-November 8, 2012. Please find below the list of your Namespaces that need Certificate or Key rollover:
                  fiftyeggs-cache
    These namespaces can be viewed by signing in to your Windows Azure portal subscription. After you have signed in you are redirected to the Management Portal page. On the lower left-hand side of this page, click Service Bus, Access Control & Caching. To see the registered namespaces under your subscription, under Services click Access Control/Service Bus/Caching.

However, this is a cache-namespace which appears to be a Managed Namespace http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg185943.aspx and I don't believe there is any way of managing keys. Can anyone help or point me to the relevant article. I don't want the cache keys to expire (the site will die) but there doesn't appear to be any actions for me to take.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:25 AM

Answers

• You can safely ignore the email.

For ACS namespaces ending in –sb or –cache this was in error if you did not add a X509/Symmetric Key/Password based "Service Identities".

We have adjusted our process to not do this in the future.  We are in the process of identifying which customers we sent the email in error, and we are going to send a follow up note indicating no action needs to be taken, and apologizing for the error.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Andrew Hawken Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:09 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:07 AM

All replies

• I've received the same email, with warning for the cache namespace and the service bus namespace. Since both are managed namespaces I believe it's Microsofts responsibility to renew the certificates used. So, I guess this email is a 'bug' in the Azure system.

Can anybody confirm this?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone to confirm this email. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

BR,

Arwind

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:54 AM
  • As the certificates and keys for managed namespace are automatically managed, I think you can ignore the email.

Thanks,
    Carson

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by dimitriadams Friday, June 15, 2012 8:20 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Its the word *think* in there that worries me. I also think its an error, however, iit would be good to get a definitive view that this was an error. Preferably followed up by an email to the original recipients of the first warning message explaining that is was sent in error.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 8:48 AM
  • We have received this one too. Something more definitive than *think* would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:25 PM
  • You can safely ignore the email.

For ACS namespaces ending in –sb or –cache this was in error if you did not add a X509/Symmetric Key/Password based "Service Identities".

We have adjusted our process to not do this in the future.  We are in the process of identifying which customers we sent the email in error, and we are going to send a follow up note indicating no action needs to be taken, and apologizing for the error.

• Marked as answer by Andrew Hawken Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:09 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:07 AM
  • Thank you. That's a relief.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:09 AM
  • I got the exact same email (with the cache namespace pointing to ours) on 6/28 and I did what was suggested here to ignore the email. Today, our cache went down and I had to create a new one to switch over to use the new one for the time being. 

I've submitted a support ticket to find out why the old one no longer works and waiting on a reply. Interesting fact is that our old one was created on 7/14/2011 8:27:01PM UTC which almost happened to be a year from today. 

If I were you, check your cache's created date and make a mental note in your head that a day or two before that one year is up, something might start to act funny and you might have to create a new cache and switch over to the new one like what we went through this morning.

Vablet

Friday, July 13, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Did you add a X509/Symmetric Key/Password based "Service Identities" (Re Carson Wa above). If not, my year is up on the 27th so I'll schedule for random failures! That will not keep my clients happy.

Can you keep us informed of the progress of your ticket here please :-)

I got an email from MS yesterday...

We inadvertently sent an email message to you between June 12 and June 18, 2012, that described updating expiring certificates and keys in the Access Control Service (ACS) namespaces used by your Service Bus or Cache namespaces. The message referred to the following namespaces:

fiftyeggs-cache

The message was sent in error, and we sincerely apologizeNo action is required.

Did you get that?

---

Andrew

Friday, July 13, 2012 6:51 PM
  • Happened again today. Got a certificate expiration warning email for a "-sb" namespace that isn't visible to me.
    Thursday, July 03, 2014 7:39 PM
  • Received one too....

Vittorio Sozzi Elfo srl - http://www.elfo.net

Friday, July 04, 2014 7:21 AM
  • Another one here.
    Friday, July 04, 2014 7:40 AM
  • I received an expiration warning email for "-sb" namespaces.

but when I go to "Manage ACS/Token Signing Keys" I see:

Service Namespace certificates and keys are automatically managed for this namespace

Is this an error?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 2:54 PM
  • It does look like an expiration warning email went out to customers whose service keys are expiring. Service keys are automatically managed, so no action is required by the customer. Please ignore this, I will update when I find out more.
    Tuesday, July 08, 2014 6:07 PM