none
Cannot Delete Sync Group or stop sync

Question

• Our syncs are taking too long and tying up bandwith. We have sync with warnings on both local databases. The best course of action I beleive is to elimante sync of non-critical tables how ever any changes to the sync group will not deploy.

Comes back with error message: Unexpected error occurred when executing operation.

Cannot delete sync group: error handling exception, reload application.

possibly occurs because sync does not ever complete now.

1. is there a way to stop the sync?

2. with these errors, and the sync eventually stopped, can i delete the sync group

2. is there an order to manually start all over with new sync and delete the old one.

Have upgraded tp lastest sync

Thursday, May 03, 2012 3:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Do you means Sql Azure data sync? As far as i know, please just select the sync group and uncheck the "Enable" checkbox and i think the data sync will not be executed automatically, another thing is SQL Azure do not allow that remove sync group when database is synchoronizing. If you want stop it, it may cause some serious issues (such as data losing), just wait current data sync task complete (your databse status become "Good"), then you can delete the sync group now. I can receive exception message when i was removed the data sync during the synchoronizing.

About "is there an order to manually start all over with new sync and delete the old one.", you can select your sync group and click "Sync Now" button to synchoronizing the databases manually in SQL Azure Management Portal (You can find "remove" button too).

Hope this helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Friday, May 04, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Actually to be direct it does not help.

the question is you cannot do much of anything while the sync is running, that is apparent. So if your sync is running for hours on end, changes or fixes are impossible unles you can manually stiop it. Is there a way to cleanly, manually stop the sync?

Second question is, when craeting a new sync group: what is the best practice, how far back should you go?

i.e. should you install a new agent key?

i have an additional new question if I may:

in the case of two remote sql branches, should you install an agent at each remote location?

thank you

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

Yes SQL Azure do not has stop function now, you can post your idea as a feature request to Microsoft:

http://www.mygreatwindowsazureidea.com/forums/34192-windows-azure-feature-voting

For question 2, for on-premise database instance (local), you need get a gent key and install SQL Azure Data Sync Agent tool for add local database instance in Sync Group, for cloud database, you need not do this.

Do you mean "two remote sql branches" is in different machines? If so, i think these machines need install Data Sync Agent tool, if in the same machine, just register a new database.

Hope this helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Thanks Arwind,

Our situation for SQL Sync is quite simple.

Two locations (2 servers). they both sync to hub in Azure. We have been operating with one agent.

I read in "Best Sync Practises" that the Azure Agent should not be  installed on the sql server. Should we have an agent installed at each location?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

I think so. If two locations SQL Server instance does not in the same domain(you can not use SQL Azure Data Sync Agent tool add them in one machine), you need two agents.

Friday, May 11, 2012 2:45 AM