none
Host the application and WCF services as single package

Question

• Hi All,

I am working on a Silverlight application. This Silverlight application using 4 WCF services for database communication.

As per requirement I want host the entire applications (Silverlight application +4 WCF services) together as one package to the cloud (Azure)
    I am not much familiar with Azure…..

What are the steps should I need to follow to host the entire application to one package to cloud?
    Also how can I configure service reference (end points) in azure?

please help me...

Regards,

Ranish

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:03 AM

Answers

• Ranish,

You can use 1 web role for silverlight application and 1 WCF web role for all WCF services as it will be cost effective solution for you. I would suggest do not use 4 WCF web role per WCF service.

The following link talks about how multiple WCF can run in single azure web role - http://sanganakauthority.blogspot.in/2011/04/windows-azure-hosting-multiple-wcf.html

When you build and say publish from Visual studio, the output will will one package which can be deployed to Azure. For configuring endpoint, double click on you Visual studio Role and select "Endpoint" option from the left hand panel and configure as per your need.

For tutorial about step by step guide - download Windows Azure Training Kit - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8396 and refer to the lab named as - "AdvancedWebAndWorkerRoles" and also "IntroductionToWindowsAzureVS2010"

Hope it helps.

Mark As Answer if it helps you | My Blog

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Create a Windows Azure Project under the Cloud tab when creating a new project.
    You Windows Azure project will for example contain 1 or more WebRoles.

You could host the silverlight application and the 4 WCF services on 1 and the same webrole, but you could also split them up into 2 web roles, which would mean grouping the WCF services on to a single web role and hosting your silverlight application in to another webrole.

When you package your cloud project, it will include everything that is needed for the different roles you added to the project. When you upload the package to Windows Azure, it'll do all the necessary cluster work like creating the virtual machines and so forth.

I would go by step 1 and create a new Windows Azure Project and add a Web Role. Then you'll most likely have to search a bit for a tutorial on how to create a web application for Windows Azure. Then look for a tutorial on how to host a WCF service in Windows Azure. After you gone through those 2 tutorials, you'll get the hang of it. And if you're stuck, you can always ask on these forums.

Be nice to nerds ... Chances are you'll end up working for one!

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:51 AM

All replies

• Create a Windows Azure Project under the Cloud tab when creating a new project.
    You Windows Azure project will for example contain 1 or more WebRoles.

You could host the silverlight application and the 4 WCF services on 1 and the same webrole, but you could also split them up into 2 web roles, which would mean grouping the WCF services on to a single web role and hosting your silverlight application in to another webrole.

When you package your cloud project, it will include everything that is needed for the different roles you added to the project. When you upload the package to Windows Azure, it'll do all the necessary cluster work like creating the virtual machines and so forth.

I would go by step 1 and create a new Windows Azure Project and add a Web Role. Then you'll most likely have to search a bit for a tutorial on how to create a web application for Windows Azure. Then look for a tutorial on how to host a WCF service in Windows Azure. After you gone through those 2 tutorials, you'll get the hang of it. And if you're stuck, you can always ask on these forums.

Be nice to nerds ... Chances are you'll end up working for one!

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Ranish,

You can use 1 web role for silverlight application and 1 WCF web role for all WCF services as it will be cost effective solution for you. I would suggest do not use 4 WCF web role per WCF service.

The following link talks about how multiple WCF can run in single azure web role - http://sanganakauthority.blogspot.in/2011/04/windows-azure-hosting-multiple-wcf.html

When you build and say publish from Visual studio, the output will will one package which can be deployed to Azure. For configuring endpoint, double click on you Visual studio Role and select "Endpoint" option from the left hand panel and configure as per your need.

For tutorial about step by step guide - download Windows Azure Training Kit - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8396 and refer to the lab named as - "AdvancedWebAndWorkerRoles" and also "IntroductionToWindowsAzureVS2010"

Hope it helps.

Mark As Answer if it helps you | My Blog

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Thank you all for your reply.

I will check this

Thanks

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:24 AM