none
windows azure toolkit for win 8 release preview

Answers

• Nazia,

The Windows 8 release preview is for building metro style apps in the cloud. Did you check the prerequisites:

Software Requirements

This section describes the software requirements for running this toolkit.

You must have the following components installed to run the project templates and the sample solutions included in this toolkit:

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 or Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Beta or Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express Beta for Windows 8
    • Internet Information Services 7 or higher
    • Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3 (both the runtime and the tools update for Visual Studio 2010)
    • Windows Azure SDK 1.6
    • Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 v1.6 – September 2011
    • Windows Identity Foundation Runtime
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (or higher)
    • Internet Explorer 9 (or any other modern Web browser supporting HTML5)

http://watwindows8.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Software%20Requirements&referringTitle=Documentation

Which OS are you trying to install this on and what is the VS version?

-Phani

Technical Architect | BrainScale Consulting

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:35 AM
  • VS2012 RC is new version of Dev 11 beta. I suggest you use VS 2012 RC instead of Dev 11, you can install both of them in latest version of Windows 8 now. You can find Azure SDK here:

http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/net/#

Hope this helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:51 AM
  • OK. No joy. Even with the RC uninstalled and the BETA installed, the Windows Azure Toolkit 1.2.4 will not install. The dependency checker will not progress past the first stage, presumably due to issues with the 'new' version of Windows, so it does not get to the point where it calls the remaining setup scripts. I could try to invoke the scripts manually, but it looks as though the dependency checker passes in variables, and without understanding those the exercise is futile.

And the likelihood is minimal, that even with the WAT 1.2.4 installed correctly, a subsequent 'upgrade' to VS 2012 and the required Azure SDK bits would not 'break' the existing code in the toolkit.

So, to answer Nazia's question...

No, you cannot use the latest WAT 1.2.4 with Windows 8 Release Preview as it is unsupported, and there is no simple workaround.

• Proposed as answer by Aylwyn Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nazia Firdouse Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:33 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:46 AM

All replies

• Nazia,

The Windows 8 release preview is for building metro style apps in the cloud. Did you check the prerequisites:

Software Requirements

This section describes the software requirements for running this toolkit.

You must have the following components installed to run the project templates and the sample solutions included in this toolkit:

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 or Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Beta or Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express Beta for Windows 8
    • Internet Information Services 7 or higher
    • Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3 (both the runtime and the tools update for Visual Studio 2010)
    • Windows Azure SDK 1.6
    • Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 v1.6 – September 2011
    • Windows Identity Foundation Runtime
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (or higher)
    • Internet Explorer 9 (or any other modern Web browser supporting HTML5)

http://watwindows8.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Software%20Requirements&referringTitle=Documentation

Which OS are you trying to install this on and what is the VS version?

-Phani

Technical Architect | BrainScale Consulting

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi Phani,

I am using VS 2012 and VS 2010. Do I need VS 2011 also to install this? Does this toolkit gets installed on win 8 Release preview?

Nazia

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:34 PM
  • VS2012 RC is new version of Dev 11 beta. I suggest you use VS 2012 RC instead of Dev 11, you can install both of them in latest version of Windows 8 now. You can find Azure SDK here:

Hope this helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:51 AM

Hope this helps.

Guys... The problem here is twofold. Firstly the OS check in WATK1.2.4 (it's in "SetupEnvironment.cmd" which gets called by Setup.cmd) is not set up to check for the RELEASE PREVIEW of Win 8 - only the Consumer Preview. It's easy to get around that by hacking the script (not going to tell you how - if you're installing this stuff you should be able to work it out for yourself).

The second problem is that even though the script runs, what looks to be the web platform installer is expecting the BETA (Visual Studio v.11 BETA) and not RC (Visual Studio 2012 RC).

Have to say I'm a little disappointed that with both the refresh of the OS and the new RC release of Visual Studio, that the WATK has not been updated to cater.

Have a look at the discussion on codeplex: http://watwindows8.codeplex.com/discussions/357905.

Been noted that a new version is required, since 2 June, but nothing yet.

A little frustrating...

However, if Arwind is right and you can install BOTH the RC and the BETA then maybe the hack of the SetupEnvironment.cmd will allow the toolkit to be installed and configured correctly. I will report back... Once I re-download the BETA (gosh... hope I can find it) and try to install the BETA side-by-side.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:06 PM
  • OK.... So as to my last, bad news.

I obviously misinterpreted what Arwind meant. I thought he meant that you can install both versions of Visual Studio (BETA / RC). I think he means EITHER of them can be installed, but not both side-by-side. I tried to install the v11 BETA but it complained that I already had a higher version (meaning the RC), so obviously there is no side-by-side support between the BETA and RC, only between versions (i.e. 2010 and 2012).

So at the moment there is absolutely no support for using the WAT 1.2.4 with VS 2012 RC.

I find this very disappointing.

The only recourse I can see is to install the BETA (with what version of the SDK?), then the toolkit, then attempt to upgrade VS to the RC.

I will report back....

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:14 PM
  • OK. No joy. Even with the RC uninstalled and the BETA installed, the Windows Azure Toolkit 1.2.4 will not install. The dependency checker will not progress past the first stage, presumably due to issues with the 'new' version of Windows, so it does not get to the point where it calls the remaining setup scripts. I could try to invoke the scripts manually, but it looks as though the dependency checker passes in variables, and without understanding those the exercise is futile.

And the likelihood is minimal, that even with the WAT 1.2.4 installed correctly, a subsequent 'upgrade' to VS 2012 and the required Azure SDK bits would not 'break' the existing code in the toolkit.

So, to answer Nazia's question...

No, you cannot use the latest WAT 1.2.4 with Windows 8 Release Preview as it is unsupported, and there is no simple workaround.

• Proposed as answer by Aylwyn Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nazia Firdouse Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:33 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Thanks Aylwyn

Nazia

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:34 AM