none
Asset management

Question

• After reading all official documentation on azure media services using .net sdk

I'm unable to manage assets under scenario say in a music streaming application.

Problems:-

1. When new Asset with single AssetFile is created then new task can encode it to Smooth Streaming but there is no way to add new media files in that asset later and encode only newly added files(correct me if i am wrong)
    2. Even if I create new asset each time new AssetFile need to be added then it will limit the number of media files I can have.(As max number of assets are limited to (Number of Encoding Reserved Units + Number of On-Demand Streaming Reserved Units + 1) * 10,000)

So how am I supposed to manage assets, if i want to make scalable music streaming application design?

Gitesh Tyagi

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:11 PM

Answers

• Yes, I would continue to direct you towards my earlier suggestion around treating each Asset as a unique audiovisual element and not try to bury too many things inside of your Mezzanine Asset. 
    It's ok to add stuff to your output asset if it makes sense to logically group that stuff together (like poster frames, images, XML, etc...).  But for your mezzanine assets, I would definitely advise you to keep them to a single element.   We don't provide any way in the API right now to specify the exact input AssetFile for the Encoder Job.

The page that you are pointing to for RUs to account limits is a bit out of date actually. I apologize for that and we will get it updated.
    The correct information is that we have static limits for accounts.  It is not tied to your RU values.

The default soft limits are 50,000 Jobs and 100,000 Assets.

If you want to raise that limit, just submit a support ticket as I mentioned above and we can work with you to raise your soft quota.

• Marked as answer by gitesh tyagi Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:12 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 9:16 PM
    Owner

All replies

• In your music streaming scenario do you have a workflow like the following?

1. You have a master file for your first music track "Foo" in some high bitrate format that you upload to Media Services
    2. You create a single Asset for that "mezzanine" file and add a single AssetFile in the SDK
    3. You create a new encoding Job with the mezzanine Asset and use the Encoder Task to create a new output Asset, which we will call your "Streaming Asset Foo"

Next, you are wanting to add another music track "Bar". This is where I am a bit confused with your question/problem.

1. You need to ingest another music track "Bar" for encoding, but you are wanting to add it to the same Asset "Foo"?  Or are you trying to replace the music track from "Foo" with "Bar"?   The way we think about Assets are that they should be a unique representation of an audiovisual element. Meaning you should have 1 Asset for each unique edit/cut/version of a Music Track, Movie, TV Show, etc.  What is your specific scenario for wanting to add another track to the master asset "foo"?

For your second question about limits on your account.  All Limits on our accounts are soft limits. They are there to keep people honest and avoid abuse.  If you need to scale, we do scale along with your Reserved Units, but if you need higher Asset limits for storing more content we would be happy to discuss your scenario and scaling and increase your account soft limits.  How many individual music tracks/assets are you planning for?

To request a higher quota - just file a support request under the Support form. Create a new Ticket of Type "Billing" and then set the problem type to Quota and the category to Media Services encoding Reserved Units and provide an explanation of what you need.

Friday, October 18, 2013 8:37 PM
    Owner
  • Hi John

Actually I am planning to have few thousands for now and may scale to millions of unique music tracks in future. In order to achieve such scaling i want to be sure that i am designing the app architecture correctly.
    I just want suggestions on how to manage music tracks as per in context of assets on azure media services. Whether I should create a new asset each time i want to add new music track or can i ingest in the same asset?

Considering your example, I wanted to handle both cases

1. Replacing the Foo with Bar

2. Ingest Bar(may be related to Foo, say same artist or album) for encoding along with Foo in the same asset(consider skipping Foo from encoding task, as it is already encoded)

I was planning to repeat the second point whenever applicable to group music tracks in same asset. But since asset represents unique audiovisual element so its not good to consider second point. right?

As the limits are soft so I can consider having 1 asset for 1 music track without worrying about scaling, now can you suggest me something that i might be missing here that may help me in cutting the cost of reserved units when it come to increase the number of music tracks?

Gitesh Tyagi

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Yes, I would continue to direct you towards my earlier suggestion around treating each Asset as a unique audiovisual element and not try to bury too many things inside of your Mezzanine Asset. 
    It's ok to add stuff to your output asset if it makes sense to logically group that stuff together (like poster frames, images, XML, etc...).  But for your mezzanine assets, I would definitely advise you to keep them to a single element.   We don't provide any way in the API right now to specify the exact input AssetFile for the Encoder Job.

The page that you are pointing to for RUs to account limits is a bit out of date actually. I apologize for that and we will get it updated.
    The correct information is that we have static limits for accounts.  It is not tied to your RU values.

The default soft limits are 50,000 Jobs and 100,000 Assets.

If you want to raise that limit, just submit a support ticket as I mentioned above and we can work with you to raise your soft quota.

• Marked as answer by gitesh tyagi Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:12 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 9:16 PM
    Owner
  • Correction...

I missed a Zero on Assets soft limits. It is actually 1 Million.

This page on MSDN is not accurate and will be updated ASAP. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj945161.aspx

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:54 PM
    Owner
  • To finish out this thread - The page on MSDN has been updated now. Thanks for reporting that!

This should be accurate now. :-)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj945161.aspx

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:30 PM
    Owner