none
how to migrate vs 2008 website to vs 2010 cloud azure

Question

• i have vs 2008 website with me.i  want to migrate it to vs 2010 cloud project.how can i do that?pls help me

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:19 AM

Answers

• Hi

AFAIK, you can first migrate the VS2008 web project to VS2010 web project by simply opening the website in VS2010. It will initiate the migration wizard. Once migration is done and migrated application is tested successfully, you can add a cloud project to the solution and in that cloud project, you can add your web project as a web role.

I hope it helps!!

If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Thanks! Vaibhav Gujral.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Hi, 

I've written series of Migrating ASP.NET Application to Windows Azure 1+ year ago.

Although there're some different in term screenshot (e.g.: Azure portal). The concept is still pretty much the same.

Regards, Wely Lau http://wely-lau.net (Wordpress on Windows Azure)

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

Also keep things like session management,Cache etc in mind before you convert web application into web role. So modification has to be done in web application, to make it work as a fully qualified web role.

Thanks,

Vijay.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hi

AFAIK, you can first migrate the VS2008 web project to VS2010 web project by simply opening the website in VS2010. It will initiate the migration wizard. Once migration is done and migrated application is tested successfully, you can add a cloud project to the solution and in that cloud project, you can add your web project as a web role.

I hope it helps!!

If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Thanks! Vaibhav Gujral.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Hi, 

I've written series of Migrating ASP.NET Application to Windows Azure 1+ year ago.

Although there're some different in term screenshot (e.g.: Azure portal). The concept is still pretty much the same.

Regards, Wely Lau http://wely-lau.net (Wordpress on Windows Azure)

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

Also keep things like session management,Cache etc in mind before you convert web application into web role. So modification has to be done in web application, to make it work as a fully qualified web role.

Thanks,

Vijay.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

I have to do the same( migrate a VS2008 WebSite to Azure). My question is: before opening my solution directly with VS2010 and let the wizard do the conversion, do I need to convert my VS2008 WebSite to VS2008 WebProject first? And then convert VS2008WebProject to VS2010 WebProject?

Thanks,

Max

Maxx

• Edited by MaxPax80 Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:43 AM