none
Blob urI address case sensitive

Question

• Hello,

I have a big web application on-premise and just want to put its huge amount of static files on Azure Blob Storage to be used through CDN. my problem is that the blob Uri is case sensitive and it will cost me a lot to talk to different groups to establish a standard to change all file names and also I have to change the blob names too. considering the fact that I have a deadline for early next week, I appreciate your quick answer.

Regards,

Zahra.

• Moved by Ciprian Duduiala Monday, February 13, 2012 10:36 AM not in French (From:Windows Azure)
    Friday, February 10, 2012 1:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Zahra - thanks for the question.  Sorry, but you are correct, container names must be lower-case and blob names are case sensitive.  We'll take a note of the feature request to explore additional options around this in the future.

-Jeff

Monday, February 13, 2012 6:44 PM
  • How are you accessing blobs? Is it direct access or you have an opportunity to fiddle with requests?

Depending on that:

A quick work around could be to just simply convert all the calls to blob uri from your code to lower case. This is possible if you are using a common library to access blobs and the names are unique (irrespective of case).
    Second thing you can try is to keep a mapping of file names and blobnames and jus rewrite the URLs of the requests to use the actualy blob names and not the file names.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Thanks Sachin for your answer. 

this is a website which is on production since few years ago. there are urls everywhere. in database tables, in css files, in code, everywhere. the problem is the cost of changing all this. other than that, there are several groups working with data and I have to organize everyone for a big change. an interface in the middle will cost me more in terms of the cost it poses on the response time.

Zahra Zahedi Kermani

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

As far as i know, Blob container name is sensitive but Blob can be named as most special characters, i think your can create a table storage and manage it with all blobs (Name, Uri, Upload Time, etc), treat your file names, urls as the properties of Table storage and i think you can write more simpler lamba expression to query them in your application.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/dd135715.aspx

Hope it can help you

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:13 AM