none
Website on Local IIS

Question

• Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but this is my question.

I have an Azure project, which is working fine and already in production. What we want to do is run the website on our local IIS for testing purposes. We are having a performance issue where the first page (Login) takes up to 20 seconds to appear. I have researched on the issue and some mention a compiling issue where the IIS server has to compile the webpage; however, if that is the case, it seems like IIS is compiling the webpage every time IE is closed/opened as this only happens when closing the web browser and reopening it. If we keep IE opened and open the page in a new tab, it loads instantaneously.

My question is: Does the project being an Azure project have something to do with this?

Any ideas why this could be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:28 PM

Answers

• Figured it out.

When the application starts, it establishes a connection to our SQL database to retrieve some settings. Since I was testing locally, I never had any issues connecting to my local SQL. After I placed the files in IIS, my local SQL needed to allow connections in our network. That was my issue.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

• Marked as answer by admdev Friday, April 13, 2012 3:31 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 3:31 PM

All replies

• Have you verified if there are any Azure dependencies in the web application? Could it be there's an operation in the page load that is waiting for a time-out before the page is displayed?

In my experience, there's nothing inherent in an Azure web role that would cause a delay.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:44 PM
  • BrentDaCodeMonkey,

Thanks for your reply.

I see "Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics", "Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime", and "Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient" in the references folder. I am not sure if these are considered dependencies. Checked Page load and everything looks fine, no data loads, time-outs, etc.

Thanks. 

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

"Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics", "Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime", and "Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient" are necessary references of Windows Azure for general application, you can keep them.

Would you like to deploy a simple application on Windows Azure Platform to reproduce this problem? Does your application runs OK (Within 20 seconds) in local environment?

Thanks.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:46 AM
  • If you don't need those assemblies, you can try dropping them out and see if that changes anything. But I would suspect that somewhere there's something that's trying to call out to Windows Azure and is timing out.

Try firing up a tool like Fiddler and looking for calls to Windows Azure. If you see them, this could be the culprit.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Figured it out.

When the application starts, it establishes a connection to our SQL database to retrieve some settings. Since I was testing locally, I never had any issues connecting to my local SQL. After I placed the files in IIS, my local SQL needed to allow connections in our network. That was my issue.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

• Marked as answer by admdev Friday, April 13, 2012 3:31 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 3:31 PM