none
No right click, restore?

Question

• New to Azure.  So let me understand... I can connect using SSMS, but really most of the management features don't work?  I want to move a database copy to the 'cloud'... (1) use Azure dashboard to add accessing IP to firewall, (2) create database using Azure dashboard, (3) from application server (on site) use SSMS to connect to Azure SQL, (4) from onsite server use SSMS find database and right click to restore a recent image.. Nope.

Is this an easy process using SQL Azure databases or is it really involve setting up other storage, exporting a database, moving to the Azure storage, creating an overwrite copy of the existing database using the image moved to Azure storage?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:32 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry to say there's no easy solution.  A typical way of doing this is to use one of the SQL Azure migration tools on codeplex.  It is basically a simple interface that ports a schema into Azure SQL Database then bcp's the data.

Backups just don't exist in Azure SQL Database at the moment.  You get point in time restore options, and database copying and exporting, but nothing like the nice on-premise backup facility.

• Marked as answer by MatchboxTech Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:06 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:04 PM