none
Where is 'East Asia' ?

Question

• i choose my web role service to be located in 'East Asia', but when i ping the service url, and check the retuning ip, it 's in 

Microsoft Corp
    One Microsoft Way,Redmond,WA

can anyone tell me where is this 'east asia' data center. and i do some monitoring daily, and found the delay is about 500ms, which is slow for us.

ps: our service is in china.

Visit my tech blog: www.imkevinyang.com
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:41 AM

Answers

• I believe the Windows Azure datacenters are located as follows:

East Asia - Hong Kong
    South East Asia - Singapore
    North-central US - Chicago, IL
    South-central US - San Antonio, TX
    North Europe - Amsterdam, Netherlands
    West Europe - Dublin, Ireland

• Marked as answer by MS Tech TalkModerator Friday, October 22, 2010 7:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kevin Yang Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:46 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I believe the Windows Azure datacenters are located as follows:

East Asia - Hong Kong
    South East Asia - Singapore
    North-central US - Chicago, IL
    South-central US - San Antonio, TX
    North Europe - Amsterdam, Netherlands
    West Europe - Dublin, Ireland

• Marked as answer by MS Tech TalkModerator Friday, October 22, 2010 7:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kevin Yang Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:46 AM
    Answerer
  • a guy in microsoft clarify that the east asia node is located in japen, and southeast asia refer to singapore and hong kong.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:51 AM
  • a guy in microsoft clarify that the east asia node is located in japan, and southeast asia refer to singapore and hong kong.

I am not sure that Microsoft has an Azure datacenter in Japan. Furthermore, having a single sub-region name refer to datacenters in two different jurisdictions would probably not fly with customers who need certainty about location of sensitive information.

The following is from a recent and related press release:

TOKYO and REDMOND, Wash., July 12, 2010 — Fujitsu Ltd. and Microsoft Corp. today announced a new worldwide cloud computing partnership that enables Fujitsu to deploy the Windows Azure platform appliance in Fujitsu datacenters. Fujitsu will deliver a comprehensive set of new cloud services and solutions, including system integration, cloud migration and managed services, to customers and independent software vendors (ISVs). Fujitsu will also run its own applications on the Windows Azure platform appliance. The new Fujitsu cloud services and solutions based on the Windows Azure platform will be available first in Fujitsu's datacenters in Japan, starting at the Fujitsu Tatebayashi System Center by the end of 2010, to be followed by other locations around the world. In addition to the appliance, Fujitsu will be providing services on the Windows Azure platform to customers on a global basis.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 3:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Neil is correct. East Asia data center is located in Hong Kong.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:15 AM
  • hi, Yi-Lun luo, i got that message from a ISV Solution Architect guy work in Developer & Platform group. i 'm really confused.

anyway, do you have a list of physical location of all the datacenters? i couldn't find it.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:22 AM
  • I can ensure you the list Neil posted above is correct, up till now. Of course, in the future, we may build new data centers. We already have other data centers around world. But they are not used to serve Azure yet. A lot of Microsoft services are hosted in those global data centers. This includes, but is not limited to: Office 365, Windows Live, Bing.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:27 AM
  • thanks!
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:36 AM
  • Kevin, for servicing China, is East Asia or Southeast Asia better?
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:41 AM
  • they 're roughly the same.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:47 AM