none
Why no spending limit? Listen up MS

Question

• I'd love to sign up for an account and use it for some of my sites but I am just too parannoid that I could end up with a huge bill at the end of the month.  Currently with traditional server hosting I know what it will cost me down to the last penny.  With Azure a hello World app could cost me thousands!  There is a simple fix let me set a price limit on the account so that if it goes over everything stops.  Simple.

Its a shame you come up with a great new way of doing things but fail your customers creativity by inflexible in this respect.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Actually it is not completely true. Recently Windows Azure has started a service where you receive alerts when you reach certain thresholds of the # of free hours given to you based on your subscription plan. Essentially we get 720 free compute hours because of BizSpark program and I receive emails when our hosted service reach 75%, 100% and 125% of that quota.

However I do agree with you that there should be some controls in place where as a subscriber I should define my custom thresholds and actions to be performed when my Azure instance hit that threshold.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

I am not Microsoft guy, I'll just try to explain some fact and hope that it can help you :)

In fact, after signing up and using the Azure service, you can constantly check your bill at https://mocp.microsoftonline.com/site/default.aspx without have to wait until end of the month since the bill is update frequently (if I remember correctly it's 3 hours beyond the actual usage).

It means whenever you find that somehow overuse, you can just delete your deployment and Azure will immediately stop charge you. That's the utility model of cloud computing.

Deploying hello world app certainly won't cost you thousand $$$, unless you specify (for example) 10 instance counts because it multiplies the cost with N instances. It's fair enough coz you use N resource of Azure VM.

Hope this explains :)

regards, wely
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:12 AM
  • www.mygreatwindowsazureidea.com is available for feature/idea requests for the product planning team.  It has an open idea for this that you can add to as well: http://www.mygreatwindowsazureidea.com/forums/34192-windows-azure-feature-voting/suggestions/1024115-provide-a-way-to-put-a-limit-on-the-cost-of-a-serv?ref=title

Brian Aurich
    Windows Azure Community PM
    • Marked as answer by Mog Liang Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:24 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 8:04 AM
  • what's your uncertainty? You're in control of almost all the items getting billed, such as number of instances running, databases and database size used, storage transactions (derived from your app design) so the biggest uncertainty might be the network bandwidth. And as already mentioned here you can control your current usage with updated numbers on a daily base.

For sure not the same billing model as traditional server hosting, but that's not the aim of Azure & Cloud Computing.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:00 PM
  • For what it's worth I think people should be able to set a hard limit on monthly expense. I don't know how likely it is in practice but there is always the uncertainty of facing large network traffic bill - or even as we have seen people accidentally leaving instances running.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:22 PM
    Answerer