none
Azure project templates not visible in visual studio

Question

• I'm trying to the install the latest version of the Windows Azure SDK on Windows 7 using the Web Platform Installer. The installation succeeds but I'm not able to see Windows Azure project templates in Visual Studio 2010. Any ideas are appreciated.

Cheers,

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:46 AM

Answers

• No, VS Professtional can create Cloud application, i guess there's something wrong with your developing environment, you mentioned that the Cloud folder is under the "VWDExpress\ProjectTemplates\CSharp", would you like to try open VWD and see if VWD can create cloud application?

Another thing is does your Visual Studio has been installed completely? If not, i suggest you consider to repair it and select "fully installation".

BR,

Arwind

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by ershad Friday, April 20, 2012 4:09 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 2:15 AM
  • OK, i guess the problem is in your VS, may be lack of some components cause this issue.

If you find it's still not work, please inform me.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Friday, April 20, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Finally got it working

1. Uninstalled Visual Studio 2010 Express
    2. Repaired and did a complete install of Visual Studio 2010
    3. Installed the Azure tools and SDK manually

Not sure why it worked but it did.  Thanks for all the answers!

• Edited by ershad Friday, April 20, 2012 4:11 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 4:09 AM

All replies

• You can try installing sdk and tools seperately

You can download using below url.

For sdk 1.4: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15658

or else download center : http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/downloads/

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:02 AM
  • Installing the SDK separately didn't help. 
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:03 AM
  • Install this http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/install.aspx?appid=WindowsAzureToolsVS2010

Regards, Wely Lau http://wely-lau.net (Wordpress on Windows Azure)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:46 PM
  • What do you mean install this!? That's the Web Platform Installer and that's what I used to install the tools and the SDK. Read my original post.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:17 PM
  • how about manual instalation?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=28045

Regards, Wely Lau http://wely-lau.net (Wordpress on Windows Azure)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:22 PM
  • Tried that as well. See my second post above. Thanks!
    • Edited by ershad Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:01 AM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Hi,

Do you ever install VS2010 SP1 before install Azure SDK?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23691

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Yes.
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Hi,

Check if you have the following folder on your machine:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Cloud

Use “Program Files” instead of “Program Files (x86)” if you’re on a 32 bit machine.

If Windows Azure is installed, you should be able to see project templates under this folder.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:16 AM
  • I uninstalled everything from my host. Had enough! I'm creating a Win7 x32 bit virtual machine.  See how that goes. Thanks!

• Edited by ershad Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:44 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:44 AM
  • A new Windows 7 x32 SP1 virtual machine with just SQL Server 2008 R2 Express SP1, Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and the Azure Tools for VS 2010. Azure project templates still don't show up. 

I can't see any "Cloud" folder being created in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp

What’s wrong!?

• Edited by ershad Friday, April 20, 2012 1:13 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 1:05 AM
  • I see now that there is "Cloud" folder in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\
    • Edited by ershad Friday, April 20, 2012 1:24 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 1:24 AM
  • Hi,

Could you find the cloud template in VWD? (not VS), if so, try to copy the cloud folder to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\" and have a try.

BR,

Arwind

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:36 AM
  • I copied the "Cloud" folder from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ProjectTemplates\CSharp to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp and the ran the command Devenv /resetsettings but still no luck!
    Friday, April 20, 2012 1:48 AM
  • What's kind version of Visual Studio 2010 do you have? Ultimate or Express? If Express, you can't view the Cloud template in VS Express, you need use VWD to create them.

Hope this helps.

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

If I run the Visual Studio 2010 Express I'm able to see the Cloud project templates. Why does the Web Platform Installer install Visual Studio 2010 Express when I already have Visual Studio 2010 Professional installed!!? This is really crap! Taken up 72 hours to install a SDK and still not solved. How can it be only me who is experiencing this problem?

Is there a solution to this? Thanks!

• Edited by ershad Friday, April 20, 2012 2:11 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 1:59 AM
  • No, VS Professtional can create Cloud application, i guess there's something wrong with your developing environment, you mentioned that the Cloud folder is under the "VWDExpress\ProjectTemplates\CSharp", would you like to try open VWD and see if VWD can create cloud application?

Another thing is does your Visual Studio has been installed completely? If not, i suggest you consider to repair it and select "fully installation".

BR,

Arwind

Friday, April 20, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Yes VWD works fine. Please read my previous post.

My Visual Studio has been properly installed. I have never experience an incomplete Visual Studio 2010 installation before and I've installed Visual Studio 2010 more than once.

However I'm going to uninstall the VWD and try what you suggest with a repair and full installation and then reinstall the tools and the SDK manually.

• Edited by ershad Friday, April 20, 2012 4:14 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 2:21 AM
  • OK, i guess the problem is in your VS, may be lack of some components cause this issue.

If you find it's still not work, please inform me.

Friday, April 20, 2012 2:41 AM
  • mmmh next I will download the Visual Studion installer from MSDN Subscribers and do a complete install.  Thanks!

• Edited by ershad Friday, April 20, 2012 2:48 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Finally got it working

1. Uninstalled Visual Studio 2010 Express
    2. Repaired and did a complete install of Visual Studio 2010
    3. Installed the Azure tools and SDK manually

Not sure why it worked but it did.  Thanks for all the answers!

• Edited by ershad Friday, April 20, 2012 4:11 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Hello,

Visual Studio 2010 Express could not create cloud application that i was mentioned in previous posts, so this problem should be the Visual Studio, i think.

BR,

Arwind

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Probably.

Thanks.

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:05 AM
  • You're not alone, I've just run the web installer and I don't have any cloud project in my Visual Studio 2010 Professional either.  I have tried manually installing the tools but to no avail.  I do have some Visual Express components previously installed - not sure where they came from but I guess I'll have to uninstall them all etc.  Sigh...
    • Edited by Lennie F Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:04 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:03 PM
  • The templates appear only if the proper .NET target version is selected in the dropdown on the New Project dialog.

I don't have VS 2010 Pro but in the case of VS Express 2012 for Web, I only see the Cloud template when the .NET framework 4.0 is selected.

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:19 AM